Sign in to follow this  
mikelets456

Things get so bad... do you [just] carry?

I like to be prepared and I believe in the Constitution, the USA, God and Natural law to defend oneself. A few years ago I would read of stories where people would get robbed or get caught in the middle of a bad situation, but they were few and far between. Now I am hearing of more thefts and robberies and am sure at some point it will get worse as our conditions worsen. it seems to be hitting "closer and closer to home". At what point do we as citizens say " I'm carrying... this is BS and I have a NEED to defend myself"? This question may sound "far fetched" but I honestly believe the time is coming and sooner than we think.

I like to be prepared and I believe in the Constitution, the USA, God and Natural law to defend oneself. A few years ago I would read of stories where people would get robbed or get caught in the middle of a bad situation, but they were few and far between. Now I am hearing of more thefts and robberies and am sure at some point it will get worse as our conditions worsen. it seems to be hitting "closer and closer to home". At what point do we as citizens say " I'm carrying... this is BS and I have a NEED to defend myself"? This question may sound "far fetched" but I honestly believe the time is coming and sooner than we think.

When it's time, you'll know. Now it's not time and let's hope it never gets there.

• Like 3

I hope that Santa, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and Chuck Norris all band together, sprinkle their magic dust all over NJ to get rid of the crime. But I don't think my Christmas wish will come true this year.

In all seriousness, this thought has crossed my mind. I REALLY hope that it doesn't come to that, but if the law doesn't get changed soon.....it will most likely happen.

If you live in an area that is bad enough that you would break the laws and risk getting tossed in jail for a few years I have a suggestion for you. MOVE.

Eh - not really that. I was in a bad area of Elizabeth trying to help my GF's family collect rent from a tenant. Boyyyyy did I want to carry.

I'm in the insulators union local 14 out of Philly and sometimes we get sent into some rough nieghborhoods for work and election duties. We start at 7 am and sometimes earlier so when we get to the job site it might still be dark out an the crackheads are still roaming. Also long days god knows what time you get out or even if you are on a nightshirt. I've walked out of a jobsite at midnight, 2 am, ect. Now at this point you are a target. We have had guys get robbed on multiple occasions. Luckily I've been in a refinery most of the time lately but that can change.

Here is a true story I was on the job for

5 am this guy names Rick who is the general foreman on the job shows up to unlock the gates and doors at a peco substation. 2 guys come up to him and pull a knife and ask for his money. What the didn't know is Rick is a mixmartial artist and champion kickboxer. He broke one of their jaws and the other ones arm.

Goes to show you they know you aren't from the neighborhood and you are obviously employed so they see you as a cash machine. This time it didn't work out for them.

If you live in an area that is bad enough that you would break the laws and risk getting tossed in jail for a few years I have a suggestion for you. MOVE.

It's not easy to just "MOVE" for some of us. There are a lot of factors to consider. If I had no family or was single, or starting a career, or have a lot of money, then it would be no problem.

It's not easy to just "MOVE" for some of us. There are a lot of factors to consider. If I had no family or was single, or starting a career, or have a lot of money, then it would be no problem.

This. Although I do think that moving is better than just "breaking the law" to carry, it is not always possible....especially in this economy.

This. Although I do think that moving is better than just "breaking the law" to carry, it is not always possible....especially in this economy.

Move to where ?? Ny stinks as I left there a few years ago. I have a summer home up in NE PA(Pocono's) the place it's in is still very nice but the surrounding towns are filling up with gang bangers and illegals. I'd have to darn near leave the country to get clear of the crap thats headed our way. I would not carry around here unless I was traveling with the kids and felt unsafe. It's just not worth the risk.

I would not carry around here unless I was traveling with the kids and felt unsafe. It's just not worth the risk.

I don't follow this logic at all. Again, you may live in a different area than I do....but what do you find unsafe about carrying? If done properly, there should be nothing unsafe about it. I would like to hear what you are referring to though.

I don't follow this logic at all. Again, you may live in a different area than I do....but what do you find unsafe about carrying? If done properly, there should be nothing unsafe about it. I would like to hear what you are referring to though.

I think you misread..he was talking about ONLY carrying if he felt unsafe, not feeling unsafe about carrying.

He said "it's not worth the risk". You are right, he was referring to carrying if the area felt unsafe.....but what would you be risking by carrying? Again, if done properly with the right weapon...there shouldn't be any risk involved.

There are times and conditions when laws need to be broken to address that specific incident.

Back in 1992 we had a genuine crazy working for our company in accounting who had the hots for this Brazilian Bombshell. She was sweet as sugar and dumb as a rock.

I get into work early one day and witness this jerk slap the bombshell hard in the face. I jump into the situation and ask him if he would like to slap me like that while she ran out of the office. I was calling him out right then and there at 0830 in the morning. He folded when he realized he was about to get a serious butt-whooping and all his Bronx Bravado was about to run down his leg. As I left, I swiped everything off his desk with a big arm sweep. Think Accounting and BIG stacks of paper before we were 'paperless'.

I reported the incident to HR, and because of his relationship to the CEO, nothing was done except to tell me that I over reacted to the slap (assault). The next day I needed to use the copy machine and he was leaving the copier as I got there. The dope forgot his original copy on the deck which was his "Kill List" which I grabbed. I then refused to give it back to him when he realized he forgot it. I was # 1 on it and my office-mate was # 2. I bring the list into HR and once again they tell me not to over react and not to worry about it! So for the next few weeks, my .357 was my companion.

Was the law going to protect me for this jerk? No.

Was my company doing anything for my safety? No.

Did I have a credible threat against me? Yes.

Did I break the law? Yes.

I had the mind-set to travel legally and kept it with me for weeks when I worked. I had all my documentation of the incident, the failure of my company to intervene and my pistol was legally owned and registered. Yes I broke the law, but figured the risk was worth it. I made a calculated risk that if things went sour, a jury would be sympathetic.

That situation sounds like enough to carry....and it also sounds like you could have sued the company for their failure to act on a potentially extremely dangerous situation. When someone makes a "kill list", that is grounds for AT THE VERY LEAST termination. I would have likely brought legal action upon them.

There are times and conditions when laws need to be broken to address that specific incident.

Back in 1992 we had a genuine crazy working for our company in accounting who had the hots for this Brazilian Bombshell. She was sweet as sugar and dumb as a rock.

I get into work early one day and witness this jerk slap the bombshell hard in the face. I jump into the situation and ask him if he would like to slap me like that while she ran out of the office. I was calling him out right then and there at 0830 in the morning. He folded when he realized he was about to get a serious butt-whooping and all his Bronx Bravado was about to run down his leg. As I left, I swiped everything off his desk with a big arm sweep. Think Accounting and BIG stacks of paper before we were 'paperless'.

I reported the incident to HR, and because of his relationship to the CEO, nothing was done except to tell me that I over reacted to the slap (assault). The next day I needed to use the copy machine and he was leaving the copier as I got there. The dope forgot his original copy on the deck which was his "Kill List" which I grabbed. I then refused to give it back to him when he realized he forgot it. I was # 1 on it and my office-mate was # 2. I bring the list into HR and once again they tell me not to over react and not to worry about it! So for the next few weeks, my .357 was my companion.

Was the law going to protect me for this jerk? No.

Was my company doing anything for my safety? No.

Did I have a credible threat against me? Yes.

Did I break the law? Yes.

I had the mind-set to travel legally and kept it with me for weeks when I worked. I had all my documentation of the incident, the failure of my company to intervene and my pistol was legally owned and registered. Yes I broke the law, but figured the risk was worth it. I made a calculated risk that if things went sour, a jury would be sympathetic.

Sounds like you should have applied for a carry permit (yeah prob get denied) however that sounds like justifiable need to me. End result is you're still here, lucky you didn't get caught.

He said "it's not worth the risk". You are right, he was referring to carrying if the area felt unsafe.....but what would you be risking by carrying? Again, if done properly with the right weapon...there shouldn't be any risk involved.

Not the risk of carrying a gun as I'm comfortable with that.But The risk is being tossed in jail for seven years for illegal carry. The way the laws are applied a legal gun owner carrying illegally seems to get more time then a crook who caries illegally. Just look at the sentence the guy got for having an unloaded gun in the trunk vs any stick up man out there.

I cant help the kids if I'm sitting in jail because I carried illegally.

Not the risk of carrying a gun as I'm comfortable with that.But The risk is being tossed in jail for seven years for illegal carry. The way the laws are applied a legal gun owner carrying illegally seems to get more time then a crook who caries illegally. Just look at the sentence the guy got for having an unloaded gun in the trunk vs any stick up man out there.

I cant help the kids if I'm sitting in jail because I carried illegally.

This is a good point. However, if the laws are changed to allow CCW, I would hope that the other laws would change as well. I agree that the laws are complete BS. There was a gang-banger who got 6 years for opening fire on a public bus at a rival gang-banger. He hit the rival gang-banger, and a 12 year old innocent girl, collapsing her lung. Again, 6 years for shooting two people, one being a innocent 12 year old girl.