Sign in to follow this  
Cylinder Head

Want to buy a new PC.

I've been out of the PC World for a while, and I want to get myself a gaming rig for the new year. My major malfunction here is that I've been out of the PC world for almost 4 years with a Macbook pro. This rig will be strictly used for gaming and I'd like to keep it in the $1,500-$2,000 range for the case and components. I'll source a screen at a later time. The only software I want to load is Windows 7. Any suggestions? Should I build it or should I buy a pre-made one from a company like Origin or Falcon?

I've been out of the PC World for a while, and I want to get myself a gaming rig for the new year. My major malfunction here is that I've been out of the PC world for almost 4 years with a Macbook pro. This rig will be strictly used for gaming and I'd like to keep it in the $1,500-$2,000 range for the case and components. I'll source a screen at a later time. The only software I want to load is Windows 7. Any suggestions? Should I build it or should I buy a pre-made one from a company like Origin or Falcon?

Why not just buy windows 7 and load it in your MacBook pro. The graphics card on that thing should be good enough to play most of the latest games.

I say build it. If you got basic computer skills and you don't mind working out bugs, crashes and bsod of corse :) just takes a lil patience and a lil tweaking. Look for sales, deals and coupons and you will save substantial amount. Good luck and have fun.

PS

Build it yourself.

You can easily build a top end rig for the low end of your price range.

I'm a gamer and build machines frequently. Right now an HD5870 can be had under $400 bucks. You can get an i7 860 for $360...the rest you can put together for $500 or so and you've got a great rig.

Also don't go for the whole marketing Extreme, super duper , fastest in the universe. Take your time, do your research. I used to buy intel processors for over $1g just to realize later that in reality the difference between those ones and the $300-$400 processors is insignificant and not worth the cost.

BRN169 just built a nice machine. He could load the components on Newegg and you could see it all there.

I always build... This last box was a dream, from the boxes to the desktop in about 5 hours. Considering this machine over the counter would have cost me about $700-$1500 more I'm happy. I has the drives and one of the video cards and everything I just bought came to $2,800 and change. I wimped out on the video card only because I had one already and in SLI I knew they would work well, I just couldn't swing another $1,200 for two GeForce 580s. With my Newegg preferred account, no intrest for 12 months. The Proc was $1k so if you drop down to a lesser i7 you would still have one hell of a machine for around $2k with some headroom to replace the proc at a latter date...

2 EVGA 01G-P3-1467-AR GeForce GTX 465 (Fermi) Superclocked 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...

Item #: N82E16814130557

VGA Replacement Only Return Policy

For Tech Support 888/881-EVGA (3842) $439.98

($219.99ea) *Already had one of them

1 Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7980X

Item #: N82E16819115223

CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

Intel (800)-628-8686 Please Verify Processor matches order Prior to installation. IMPORTANT: Always pack you CPU well for return. We will refuse your RMA if we received it as DAMAGED! $999.99

1 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Item #: N82E16832116762

Software Standard Return Policy

Please Note CD keys are listed on the outside of the plastic wrap accompanying your product. $179.99

1 HP Black Blu-ray Burner SATA bd340i LightScribe Support

Item #: N82E16827140051

Standard Return Policy $149.99

2 Kingston HyperX 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) XMP Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX

Item #: N82E16820104127

Memory Standard Return Policy $399.98

($199.99 ea)

2 Nippon Labs Premium High Performance HDMI Cable 10 ft. HDMI TO HDMI Cable A/V Gold Plated for 1080P cable HDTV Cable PS3 ...

Item #: N82E16812816003

Standard Return Policy $21.98

($10.99 ea)

1 KINGWIN Lazer LZ-1000 1000W Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC W/ 3-Way LED Switch and Universal Modular Connector ...

Item #: N82E16817121068

Standard Return Policy $159.99

1 COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black Steel, ABS Plastic, Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Item #: N82E16811119194

Standard Return Policy $139.99

3 OKGEAR 24" SATA 6 Gbps Cable, Straight to Right Angle W/Metal Latch, UV Blue, Backward Compatible with 3 Gbps and 1.5 Gbps

Item #: N82E16812123186

Standard Return Policy $13.47

($4.49 ea)

1 ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Item #: N82E16813131642

Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

For Asus Tech Support, Please Call 502-995-0883 or http://helpdesk.asus.com/

Already had these:

1 of the video cards (running both in SLI)

1 Corsair Nova Series CSSD-V128GB2-BRKT 2.5" 128GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Item #: N82E16820233107 $229.99

1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Item #: N82E16822136533 $89.99

This was the result:

Desktop.jpg

Also don't go for the whole marketing Extreme, super duper , fastest in the universe. Take your time, do your research. I used to buy intel processors for over $1g just to realize later that in reality the difference between those ones and the $300-$400 processors is insignificant and not worth the cost.

Agreed, I used to buy middle range processors and replace them at a later date when the price came down. Then again I used to build new machines every 2 years... The only thing here is the Gulftown six core w/ht proc is a real monster. There is nothing I have seen close for the money, it was even under your $1k limit if you don't count the tax. :icon_e_biggrin:

I have some seriously beefy machines running my vMware environment at work, talking quad six core Xenons with 48GB ram at $100,00k ea. and for a home desktop this thing is right up there in terms of its speed.

Check out the new P67 "Sandy Bridge chipset" mobo's. My personal favorite mobo company is asus: http://usa.asus.com/ProductGroup2.aspx?PG_ID=mKyCKlQ4oSEtSu5m

Sandy Bridge 1155 CPU's that go with it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%20600095610&IsNodeId=1&name=LGA%201155

Also, whatever you do , make sure you get a SSD drive for your boot/main drive... and a regular large HD 1TB+ for your storage/game drive. Makes a huge difference and well worth the cost. Personally I like OCZ SSD drives with the sandforce controllers, such as the Agility 2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227593&cm_re=agility_2-_-20-227-593-_-Product

Check out the new P67 "Sandy Bridge chipset" mobo's. My personal favorite mobo company is asus: http://usa.asus.com/ProductGroup2.aspx?PG_ID=mKyCKlQ4oSEtSu5m

Sandy Bridge 1155 CPU's that go with it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%20600095610&IsNodeId=1&name=LGA%201155

Also, whatever you do , make sure you get a SSD drive for your boot/main drive... and a regular large HD 1TB+ for your storage/game drive. Makes a huge difference and well worth the cost. Personally I like OCZ SSD drives with the sandforce controllers, such as the Agility 2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227593&cm_re=agility_2-_-20-227-593-_-Product

Not sure the Sandy Bridge 1155 CPUs are all that at the moment. The future looks bright though, I will bet the future Sandy Bridge CPUs will be something. I would say at this point though I wouldn't make the jump just yet, the Sandy Bridge LGA 2011 CPUs, will support the next gen i7Extreme which will be a an eight core processor w/ ht so 16 logical procs! Oh my...

The i7 Sandy Bridge 1155's are scoring really well, and bring new performance features to the table along with better power and thermal management. If I was building a system today, no brainier for me and my needs.

Plus the P67 mobo's support new stuff like Sata 6 and USB 3, also essential in a build today IMO.

Sure, there is always something faster and bigger down the road, but the P67 mobo + 1155 i7 cpu is pretty awesome today. I always look at the best price/value and point of diminishing returns. The workstation class chipset and Sandy Bridge cpu's with 8 cores coming down the pike could be blowing these two concepts out of the water. Unless you have a use for the PC that could take advantage of 8 cores + hyperthreading, it could be a moot point.

That being said the more the merrier, and if the pockets are deep, get the best you can afford!

Review : http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i5-2600k-i5-2500k-and-core-i3-2100-tested

I'm an ex-AMD fanboy. Lately the premium for Intel has been in the favor of my budget/price/performance/point of diminishing returns.

AMD has clearly gone the "value" direction. They do have great value when , and certainly fill a good niche especially around utility and everyday computing (browsing, email, office, etc). What tips my scale is the performance and power usage especially with games and media processing (transcoding, etc). Intel really has the lead over AMD for now.

Intel for the win.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/218247/intel_finds_design_flaw_in_sandy_bridge_chipset.html

Intel Finds Design Flaw in Sandy Bridge Chipset

By Agam Shah, IDG News Jan 31, 2011 12:00 pm

Intel on Monday said it had stopped shipments of the chipset used with its latest generation of Core processors after it found a design flaw.

The flawed chipset was used in PCs with the next-generation Core processors based on the Sandy Bridge architecture, which were introduced last month at the Consumer Electronics Show. Intel has stopped shipment of the affected support chip, and the design issue has been fixed, Intel said.

While the Core processors remain unaffected, customers who purchased systems with second-generation Core i5 and Core i7 quad core microprocessors could be affected by the chipset issue, Intel said.

Thanks for all of the info here guys. I've never built a computer before but I'm very good with electronics, as long as I don't have to solder anything I'm good.

Any explanation behind having a solid state drive as my boot drive? I'm assuming it will boot quicker as a result correct? I have a feeling I'm basically kicking the tires for a looong road ahead. I generally don't like buying things I don't understand, so it's learnin' time.

Check out the new P67 "Sandy Bridge chipset" mobo's. My personal favorite mobo company is asus: http://usa.asus.com/...KyCKlQ4oSEtSu5m

Sandy Bridge 1155 CPU's that go with it: http://www.newegg.co...name=LGA%201155

Also, whatever you do , make sure you get a SSD drive for your boot/main drive... and a regular large HD 1TB+ for your storage/game drive. Makes a huge difference and well worth the cost. Personally I like OCZ SSD drives with the sandforce controllers, such as the Agility 2. http://www.newegg.co...7-593-_-Product

What is an "SSD"?

Don't bother with Solid State drives. Some people like them because there's less moving parts to go bad, but the solid state memory will deteriorate faster (Limited number of read/writes). They do however, have no spin-up times and the read/seek speeds are faster.

Don't bother with Solid State drives. Some people like them because there's less moving parts to go bad, but the solid state memory will deteriorate faster (Limited number of read/writes). They do however, have no spin-up times and the read/seek speeds are faster.

I would really like to KISS with this setup so I think I'd rather start off with a nice 1TB drive and call it a day.

Thanks guys. So how is that different from RAM?

RAM is the physical memory, it's used to run your programs. It is basically a built in buffer. Reads the program off your HD and loads it to your RAM for real time computing. The more RAM you have the more you can load with out it lagging.