Maksim

My response to an internship request.

So my firm is listed on a few websites for internships and on craigslist. Today I get an emailed resume that just rubbed me the wrong way. I couldn't help but to give the kid some career advice.

His email to me...

March 17th, 2011

To the Human Resources dapartment of Maks Financial Services,

I am interested in working for your company as a paid trainee or intern in the Financial Advisor Associate position. I am a sophomore mathematics and economics double major, BS and BA respectively, at Bucknell University, interested in an eventual career in finance. I am avaliable to begin work May 16th, and can work through late August, part or full time.

Your position is of great interest to me, as I live in Princeton Jct. and wish to work in the area this summer. I found the position on craigslist, http://cnj.craigslist.org/acc/2223102189.html, atfer visiting the site for the first time. I have experience working with customers on the retail level, as well as working with clients as a calculus tutor. I am a diligent employee, hardworking at performing both routine and long-term assigments. In addition to my business and academic experience, I attended a four-day seminar for fraternity presidents. At this seminar I developed many of the skills and responsibilities I found needed for this position.

I would like the opportunity to meet with someone personally about the position, unfortunately my spring break ends Monday, March 21st, at which time I will resume school in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania . If you have any questions, or need any further information, please do not hesitate to call or email me. If you find me basically qualified, an online interview coudl be arranged. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

GDW

So nevermind the major spelling boo-boos in every paragraph. My response.

Grant,

Thanks for submitting your resume, but why should you be brought on? Your email is all about you, but what would you bring to the firm?

The only thing I really see is that you want to be brought in on a paid position, does that mean you would not want to be in an unpaid internship even if it means gaining a foothold into the industry and gaining more practical experience than you would working a part time job selling video games at Game Stop?

Secondly, you state… “Your position is of great interest to me, as I live in Princeton Jct. and wish to work in the area this summer” Is having a position very close to home something that is important to you?

Catch my drift? Career advice, it is not about you, or your school, or anything, it is about experience and what you can provide and do for the company you are working for.

If you wish to be considered for a position this summer, I suggest rethinking your email, and attach an appropriate cover letter outlining what you want to get out of the experience, what you can bring to the table, and why I should bring you on as opposed to the hundreds of others.

-Max

Maksim Netrebov

Financial Planning & Investment Advisory

President

So yes... but seriously, you would figure a double major would let you think on your feet and have the common sense to hit f7 to do a spell check. :facepalm:

Being self employed and having an ability to write such correspondence.... Priceless. :kingchris:

I admit... I am a douchebag. My response to an internship request.

+1

:blackeye:

:laugh:

Actually, my son did his internship for $1200/week his junior year.

:banghead:

But I know nothing about writing resumes.

All said, that wasn't that bad of a reply. Kid has to learn to proof read before sending anything. What if he had been sending misspelled notifications by e-mail or post office? How embarrassing for you would that be? IMO you did him a favor.

But then again, I'm the kinda guy who would get Maks reply and take it on the chin and learn from my mistakes, but not everyone is like that :icon_mrgreen:

You arn't that big of a douchebag. I once made my girlfriends kid push his bike home from the park because his chain fell off. About a half a mile. :sarcastichand: He's a little lazy wise a** and I wanted to teach him a lesson. He got home and I slipped the chain on.

Love it. I get these all the time for Federal Internships, but mine are worse because they come from kids out of lower quality schools or 2yr armed forces. At least you could make out what the little narcissist wanted, some of mine have to be interpreted for me.

I would be more than happy to do an unpaid internship, even if it wasn't in the same city. Don't get me wrong.....if they offered to pay me I wouldn't refuse, but I CERTAINLY wouldn't turn down an unpaid internship. A lot of times unpaid internships are much more lenient since they know you need a REAL job. In fact, I emailed a guy not too long ago about an unpaid internship, never heard back....thanks for reminding me Maks, you're not such a DB after all :icon_mrgreen:

Too many kids graduate from college expecting to have their pick of jobs...it's a disgusting extension of our ever-expanding entitlement culture.

I noticed that too. I wonder when the fugg that started and who the fugg started it. They expect to be bosses and get paid as such right away when they get out of college. It's even worse when they have a Masters and think they know everything right away.

Maks,

Here is my career advice for your self-employment business. Never say anything to anyone on the job to piss them off unless it gets you something. It's business. Everything you do on the job should be meant to further your economic agenda, short term or long term.

If some arrogant kid (or anyone for that matter) pisses you off, wait 24 hours and respond in a professional tone, with a level of diplomacy that corresponds to their worth to you and the gravity of the point you need to make.

Now, didn't I do it better than you did? :)

Maks,

Here is my career advice for your self-employment business. Never say anything to anyone on the job to piss them off unless it gets you something. It's business. Everything you do on the job should be meant to further your economic agenda, short term or long term.

If some arrogant kid (or anyone for that matter) pisses you off, wait 24 hours and respond in a professional tone, with a level of diplomacy that corresponds to their worth to you and the gravity of the point you need to make.

Now, didn't I do it better than you did? :)

Hah, yes. =) I would never write that to a professional/client or otherwise, and always use the 24 hour rule to respond to correspondence like that. I tried being as polite as I can, but most of all, I want to see how this kid responds. The fact is, in any business environment, he would be laughed out or not even be paid attention to. I was in a particularly great mood today and wanted to spread it. =) Hey, I did my good deed for today, maybe even two.

It does not matter to me what someone's level of education is, as I care more about practical experience. What I cant stand most are 1. the entitlement mentality. and 2. Thinking because they graduated from a good school, or god forbid have a Masters, they are god's gift to earth.

fact is, across the board, i have seen more people with terrific worth ethics and discipline who have either a 2 year degree from a community school, or better yet, the military, then a mommy/daddy paid for $50k a year edumacation.

Hah, yes. =) I would never write that to a professional/client or otherwise, and always use the 24 hour rule to respond to correspondence like that.

I would. I would write far worse. For the right reason under the right circumstances. This kid could be your next professional/client or otherwise. Or, he could pollute the waters therein.

Everybody's different and has a different way of doing things. Clearly there's little chance of any consequences to your response to him, this one event, but there's certainly no upside. I'm sure kiddo took your attack worse than you took my advice. And, apparently you dismissed my advice. So, nobody's done a good deed today :) Hey, everybody's got different priorities and ways of doing things. I gave my 2 cents, I'll leave it at that. No disrespect meant.

I too get frustrated at some of the responses I get from people. I am not sure that I would advertise a position I was hiring for on Craigslist if I wanted to get credibility for my organization. Now I say that also understanding that budgets being what they are the more places you have a low/no cost to advertise. I did this with the consulting business I am working. I put up a Facebook page. So far it hasn't yeild the best results and some might say that Facebook might give the wrong corporate image to potential clients. Honestly, I did it because it's free and it didn't take me that much time to put up to get some advertising and get my name out there.

I agree with Maks that this candidate did not sell himself when asking for an internship. He just said why he wanted the internship but not what he could bring to the organization. As someone that repeatedly has to sell myself and my skills I always stress that in meetings when I am looking for a job, my skills and how they could benefit the organization I am trying to work with.

Companies don't care what the applicant is going to get out of an internship/job they want a ROI for their money or time spent with the applicant. For a kid with 2 degrees I would expect much more honestly. In this type of market anyone coming out of college needs to be realistic. I have over 10 years experience in my industry and have many accomplishments but there are people out there willing to take a pay cut for a more secure position with qualifications far greater than mine so I can't go into something thinking I am all high and mighty. I have to show what I can bring to the organization and how that's going to increase their business and benefit their company.

You did this kid a favor Maks. He needs to learn humility and to stop thinking he's entitled to something just because he has a degree. If I were this kid, and yes I have sent out misguided letters like he did in my past, I would definitely get back in touch with you and show you that I understood what you meant and that I am of value to your organization for the following factors....this kid needs to show concrete examples of how he can add value to your organization if he wants to get his foot in the door.

Actually, I really wish he redoes his cover letters and responds. I really do. By having him respond, it would show alot to me, instead of just deleting that. If he responds, I would hire him on the spot.

If he responds than the kid does have some sense in him.

If not he`s got a serious issue which will cause him more pain than his pride stung by your response.

My generation doesn't have a sense of entitlement just delusion. It's not what we think were owed, it's what we think we will get if we do x,y and z. The reality is every one does x,y and z and they think they will get what they have, then realize they probably should have done something different. At least this guy is on the right track, math and economics, and not business. To me, school and education actually makes a big difference. If this kid was a communications major i'd probably say he's a lost bet. Seriously tho, math and economics are not easy degrees, and some one pursuing both should have an opportunity to experience the real world to acquire these skills that you want. Your not hiring an employee right? your hiring a student, and should treat him like one. If your going to expect great things from interns you have to push them and lead the way, not necessarily expect them to know it right off the bat. Maybe put together an application for the interns to fill out which asks the questions you would like answered. Pave the way for them, dont be your typical run of the mill business which wants the best of the best to file paperwork and make coffee.

Jack, I politely have to differ with you on this. "Pave the way for them, dont be your typical run of the mill business..." This is exactly what us older guys are referring to when we discuss the current sense of entitlement. Maks, myself and others that open their doors to students and interns are giving an opening where none existed before. That is paving the way, now the students needs to decide if they wish to go down that path or be carried down the path. Personally, I am not going to carry your down a path, I have my own lifting to do. And I am not talking about "paying dues" here, what I mean is showing people what you as a resource can do currently and your ability to learn, which I will gladly compensate you for. But it is the students choice, not an employers obligation to make it happen.

Do you know what we used to call flipping burgers or working our summer taring roofs.... opportunities. This is something that is seriously missing from today's college kids.

Do you know what we used to call flipping burgers or working our summer taring roofs.... opportunities. This is something that is seriously missing from today's college kids

indians have taken over just about all our gas stations..

mexicans are our burger flippers and dish washers and other people have taken all these positions away from the learning american..

I my self washed dishes at a restuarant at age 14. those jobs are gone...

• Like 1

Do you know what we used to call flipping burgers or working our summer taring roofs.... opportunities. This is something that is seriously missing from today's college kids

indians have taken over just about all our gas stations..

mexicans are our burger flippers and dish washers and other people have taken all these positions away from the learning american..

I my self washed dishes at a restuarant at age 14. those jobs are gone...

They're still there, unfortunately most teens won't go looking for them. Also, why hire a teen when they're going to call out sick 3 times in the first 2 weeks, show up late every other day and ask to leave early the days they are not late - and then be angry when they're paid for the hours they worked because they see it as if their pay is docked for showing up late or leaving early

• Like 1

Most of the time I would just hit delete to his type of a resume. To me, the biggest thing was that I felt his entitlement mentality.... " I want to work a paid position at your firm because I live close-by."

At close to $4.00 per gallon of petro, maybe HE wants to be close to home. :sarcastichand:

Axeman I think were more on the same page then u think. I wasn't suggesting that they be carried in any way, but just like maks did its supposed to be an learning experience. you guys open your doors to these kids and they should be grateful to that not feel entitled, and should act in such a mannar. However, you should look at these kids as if they never had a real job. Let's face it most summer jobs don't care what you bring to the table other them u show up and do ur work. So there experience is limited. What I mean by PAve the way is give them insight to what business look for in employees and it is there decosion to mold thermselves based on those qualities. I would bet that half the applicants you discard are actually good workers that offer a lot but have no idea how to present themselves.