Sign in to follow this  
67gtonut

Discussion : S&W 686 vs. Ruger GP100

A debate that has raged since the Security-Six came on the scene and challeneged S&W. Remember this old ad?

SWvsRuger.jpg

Yes. An ad. S&W is OBVIOUSLY going to promote their car. Hyundai's also promote that their cars are better than BMW.

• Like 1

S&W has a better trigger. Trigger is very, very important. And dont forget the awesome customer service.

The S&W generally has a lighter trigger but the Ruger trigger is very smooth. Smooth is more important than light. The two times i had to use Ruger CS was a broken mag release on a P90 (only Ruger that has ever broken on me). FEDEX overnight to AZ on Monday returned FEDEX overnight Wednesday A.M. Can't say that's easy to beat. Lost a grip screw for the same P90 on Tuesday, called them, got the screw in the mail on Friday.

i don't think i would ever classify a ruger gp100 as a smoother trigger than a 686. I've shot a brand new gp100 and it felt like sanding paper compared to my smith. But my smith is also used so mine might be broken in as well.

But anyone that has ever shot my 686 including the OP of this thread said its probably one of the most accurate guns and easiest guns to shoot.

I'd go smith over ruger, and i'd definitely take an older pre lock smith over a ruger any day

I am planning on buying a revolver with either my 2nd or 3rd permit. Was thinking of a 686 with a 6" barrel. Seems most people prefer the 4", why?

The 4 in has better balance and is easier to use for HD. If shooting paper or hunting the 6 works better.

I've always found the ruger triggers to have a bit of a stacking feel. My SRH has it and my buddies' GP100 has it. Not sure i'd call that smooth. I bought my 686 instead of the GP for this reason alone.

I am planning on buying a revolver with either my 2nd or 3rd permit. Was thinking of a 686 with a 6" barrel. Seems most people prefer the 4", why?

Extra 2 inches gives you a longer sight radius...more accuracy. I find no detriment to comfort with 6". I prefer 6" (or more) in my revolvers. Its not like we can carry anyways...

I have 2 GP100 royal phoenix and the triggers are very smooth on those. The SA pull has slightly longer over travel than SW but I think they are just as nice. I have recently acquired a 3" GP-100 and the DA and SA pull is really smooth on it as well.

The Smith & Wesson 686 comes in 2nd to the Ruger GP100 if we're talking about buying either new, because the internal lock in S&W revolvers is an abomination and intruduces an avenue of potential failure in a manner of handgun often valued for it's perceived reliability.

Here are some videos from an instance where a guy was shooting his brand new 686 and has the internal lock activate on him in the middle of shooting. Also of note is the fact that his is a "performance center" model that, in theory, should have gotten the extra TLC that should have made it even less likely to crap all over itself like this.

Video of it happening:

Video of gunsmith demonstrating the failure:

I'm sure there are plenty that have not had issues with the internal lock, but I believe there is adequate evidence that it does in fact happen. Any gun can fail certainly, but in this case you have a Ruger revolver that can potentially fail in all the ways a revolver might and a S&W revolver that has comparable exposure to the same failures as the Ruger PLUS the additional avenue of failure via internal lock malfunction.

Now, if one is able to buy a used 686 without the internal lock, I think it beats out the GP100 because I would agree that it has the superior trigger of the two.

IMO, Ruger never needed the GP100. The Ruger Service Six stands by itself, built around the .357Mag, and perfection in 4-inch. I own a wide variety of Smith wheels in .357Mag, including several 686s, and it is venerable wheel gun. If you ever have a chance to shoot a 686 CS-1 in 3-inch, you will very likely understand why I say there's no question it is superior to a GP100.

i don't think i would ever classify a ruger gp100 as a smoother trigger than a 686.

I didn't mean a Ruger is smoother than a a S&W just that while a S&W may have a lighter pull (and smooth) the Ruger has a smooth trigger also (to what degree I'll let you be the judge of whatever samples of each you have).

If you ever have a chance to shoot a 686 CS-1 in 3-inch, you will very likely understand why I say there's no question it is superior to a GP100.

I shot thousands of rounds through 3 and 4 inch CS-1s in the late 80s and early 90s. AFAIC comapring it to a GP100 which is superior is very subjective.

AFAIC comapring it to a GP100 which is superior is very subjective.

There's a few ways to look at any comparison, and I tend to lean to two extremes in my personal judgement. First on the inherent accuracy and mechanics of the firearm, and second upon the mechanic using the firearm. And either one of these can be the crutch for a deficiency in the other. When considering the mechanic, it's all subjective. When considering the individual mechanics of the firearm, there can be measureable comparison individually, but I believe measuring the working system better than the sum of its parts. That's the engineer in me.

The competitor shooter side of me wants the firearm I am the best mechanic with, and for me I personnally feel that Ruger got the balance wrong on the GP100. Compare the 686 to a Service Six, I will take my well-worn Service Six any day over any of my 686s.

Personal defense is yet another decision tree. If it came down to life, I don't think anyone is going to stop and say mine is better than yours.

In my much winded way, I agree it is subjective because we've not qualified the basis of comparison.