Notsobittybuddha

Questions, questions, questions!

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here (not completely but relatively). I had some varied questions that were kind of answered in previous posts but hopefully i could get some fresh perspective/opinions. Luckily, I already have my FID and PP just aching to be used.

1. I'm going to be taking the basic NRA pistol course, but is it better to do before or after my purchase? I'm looking at doing it with NJ Firearms Academy but who do you recommend?

2. I've got a couple of of accessories pretty much figured out, any opinions on these or alternatives?

bag- http://www.amazon.com/GunMate-Range-Removable-Hook-Dividers/dp/B0047T4J20/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3T2IG4IAKHBML&colid=2NSFEPIPETWO2

ears- http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1G2NCHYP4QF92&colid=2NSFEPIPETWO2

cleaning kit - http://www.amazon.com/Remington%C2%AE-Universal-All-Round%C2%99-Cleaning/dp/B000Q5SKA6/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1HZOMMDMD5WRS&colid=2NSFEPIPETWO2

3. On the topic of cleaning kits, what liquids would i need other than a good solvent and lubricant?

4. I've shot a few pistols before (sig p226, beretta m9, desert eagle, glock 19) and have been fairly accurate (beginner's luck?) but I'm still stuck on trying to find something. I've been looking at a beretta 92fs, hk usp, S&W m&p40, and springfield xd. Opinions?

5. I've managed to be stuck in Saddle River (bergen county) and therefore am limited in my range choice. Are there any fairly close ranges that rent up here that anyone knows of ? Ideally, I'd like to try a few more pieces out and I'm not completely averse to driving a while but i'd rather not if I can avoid it.

6. Lastly (I promise), I've recently moved, but still have everything under my old address and can therefore still use my PP without worry (I think). Would I have to go through the whole process again of applying, fingerprinting/background checking, and waiting or is there some easier way to go about performing a change of address with the FID?

Thanks in advance everyone! Sorry it was a wall of text, but I'm pretty OCD about everything and like to get as much knowledge on it as possible.

First off, welcome to the forum. There is tons of info on here for new shooters, so please look around! Secondly, you're getting into a very fun hobby so start saving money because you're gonna start shooting a lot once you get into it!

1. I would take the NRA Basic Pistol class before you buy anything, but some people think differently. This can familiarize you with pistols, learn the basics, shoot a vast range of pistols, etc, and give you a chance to shoot a couple pistols that you may be looking at.

2. The range bag is fine (Midway USA always has sales on rangebags that are probably made better than that one and are around the same price or a couple bucks more). Earmuffs are fine, you will see that LOTS of shooters use those Howard Leight muffs but if you wear glasses or hats frequently, muffs usually get in the way (at least for me and some other people will agree). I have a pair of muffs but they are uncomfortable to wear after an hour with glasses and they don't fit great with the hats I wear. Most people will buy seperate things for cleaning, but a cleaning kit (I would suggest Hoppes cleaning kit) is good for someone just getting into shooting. I would start buying seperate cleaning accessories as you shoot more and more and realize what you need and what you don't need.

3. For a pistol, or most guns, all you really need is a solvent and lubricant. People will sometimes suggest other things such as CLP, or Borecleaner, etc, but it's all on whether or not you wanna spend the money on extra things. I use Hoppes solvent because it works great for me, and I use a Hoppes oil as well.

4. All your choices are great guns, but it doesn't mean jack if you haven't held any of them. You might like the looks of the 92fs and whatnot, but when you hold it, it just might not be 'the one' for you. If you hold a gun and hesitate or think 'eh, this is just ok', I would move onto something else. In my experience, it is difficult to 'get used' to pistols...if they aren't comfortable when you hold it or shoot it the first time, it probably won't ever be comfortable. Go to a gun shop and have an employee help you and be patient with you holding every pistol you like or want to hold. Write down or remember which ones you like so you don't forget. Then go home and research and figure out which one you really really like. Do realize you need to make a choice of what you want your first pistol to be chambered in - what caliber? Most people go 9mm, .40, or .45, while others prefer to start with a .22. I would suggest a 9mm because it is cheaper (than .40 or .45) to shoot which means you can practice/train/enjoy the gun more, it is still a deadly round, and the recoil is rather easily controllable for a new shooter. But you have to make that choice yourself, we can help if need be.

5. Can't give you any suggestions on ranges near you. A quick google and it looks like the Cherry Hill range is somewhat close to you, but it looks like you don't have many options unless you drive far.

6. I'm pretty sure you need to re-apply for your FID in the township you moved to so you can change your address from the old address. I know it sucks, but I am PRETTY sure (not 100%) that you need to do this. As long as you haven't been arrested or anything, then you should be fine and get your FID no problem.

Hope my advice helps!

hey there...

1) go to www.gunforhire.com, this a excellent school and they have a big selection of classes that you can take... I took several classes there...

2) Regarding the bag take a look at this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/default.aspx?productnumber=167522

I would recommend you to get everything from this website, best prices out there and the shipping is ridiculous fast.

6) By personal experience.... The FID address change took me 2 months in Union county, i would tell you to change it after you buy your pistol because if you FID and you driver license match you shouldn't have any problems..

NJfirearmsacademy has a good basic first pistol class because you shoot all different pistols in .22, 9mm, .38sp, .40 and .45. The head instructor Latif is a really cool guy and knows A LOT about shooting and guns. I can't talk about GFH's basic pistol class as I have not taken that. Maybe if you (johnathan32156235) could expand on GFH's basic pistol class, he could have some insight from more than just me.

As a new shooter myself I can appreciate you building up your accessories.

1. I believe I will be signing up for a Basic course since I have no formal training despite having shot infrequently for many years. It's always good to learn how to do things properly and stem any bad habits before it's too late.

2. I have heard people rave about the Midway bags not only for their price but also their utility and durability. That being said I ended up with an Eagle Industries Pro Shooter's bag which I love but I am not sure given the price difference is justifiably better than a Midway bag. The Leight's seem to get a big thumbs up from many people especially due to price. I ended up with a pair of Peltor muffs but may eventually pick up the Leight's since I'd like to have a spare for friends. As for a cleaning kit I purchased an Otis kit for it's small size so if I need to I can throw it in my bag. It has all the essentials I need right now to clean the one gun I own. I may consider a larger kit in the future for home use as I add to the gun collection.

3. I have picked up some Otis solvents and some from Walmart and still feeling out which I like the best. I have also picked up Miltech lube and Slide Glide as well.

4. Gun choice was a big dilemma for me at first as well but I had the luxury of being to fire many different guns before buying. Firing before you buy is huge because you just don't know how you will like a gun just by looking at it and holding it. I ended up liking the P226, HK USP followed by the Beretta 92fs. I purchased the P226 and will likely get a USP with my last PP. As many will mention make sure you take into account caliber as ammo cost will pile up quickly as a new shooter. I ended up with a 40 and have shelled out quite a bit on ammo already.

5. As a new member of Cherry Ridge I can recommend it for it's diverse ranges and scenic backdrop. Just keep in mind it is outdoors so weather plays a big role in use. You also need to keep up to date with the range schedules to make sure whatever range you want to use is open/not in use.

6. I'll leave that up to the vets here.

Sorry if I wasn't too helpful I am still trying to figure stuff out myself. Good luck and just browse around these boards there is so much info here from so many experienced people.

Is that a Shih Tzu as your avatar?

Well i took Basic pistol with GFH and i have to tell you that after that class, it took several, they have huge knowledge in firearms, they will answer all your questions and more, if you decide to go with GFH and you take your class with Anthony or with Jimmy you will no regret it. I got my NRA Instructor certification with them, and i also built my AR15 with Jimmy...

If you have more questions, just give me a call i'll answer all your inquires....

Cel (908) 922.6662

I hope that I can help..

:keeporder:

You need a good safe. Safe's can be tricky because they tend to get smaller the more we shoot. Buy bigger than you think you'll need.

In the beginning there was one handgun. Soon after a second joined the fold, then a 3rd......you get my drift.

Welcome to the forums!

You need a good safe. Safe's can be tricky because they tend to get smaller the more we shoot. Buy bigger than you think you'll need.

In the beginning there was one handgun. Soon after a second joined the fold, then a 3rd......you get my drift.

Welcome to the forums!

I went with this safe http://www.amazon.com/Barska-AX11224-BARSKA-Biometric-Safe/dp/B002AQ0PFW

I love it so far, plenty big for my needs and I have had no issues with the fingerprint scanner.

You have a few great instructors up there who support the firearms community, mainly this one. Gun For Hire is great, GAPP is great, Shoot NJ is Great. All come from the same school.

What Andres said stands true... I would make one edit... SHOOT the guns before you chose to buy them. I have held numerous glocks and walthers, yet did not enjoy shooting them. I never really liked the feel of 1911's, yet they are my favorite go to guns now.

There are plenty of people here on the forum who would be happy to meet up at the range with you.

I went with this safe http://www.amazon.com/Barska-AX11224-BARSKA-Biometric-Safe/dp/B002AQ0PFW

I love it so far, plenty big for my needs and I have had no issues with the fingerprint scanner.

I bought the same safe and it has been great so far. The biometric scanner was easy to program and has worked consistently so far.

It is good for a few handguns, papers etc but be warned it fills up quickly. You will also want to take into account that if you get into long rifles or a collection you will have to get a larger safe to replace or compliment it.

Thank you all for the great advice, i'll definitely look into it.

I went to a shop the other day and ruled out a few choices. As much as I liked the look of some of them, my hands are a bit meaty and short to comfortably grip them. The USP, XD, p226, and now the Px4 are in the running as far as hand feel goes. I'll probably end up heading down to Shore Shot when I visit some friends in a few weeks to solidify my thoughts.

I'm pretty much settled on applying for membership at Cherry Ridge but I have to wait until July until I can actually shoot there :( (boo waiting, yay for conflicting charity events)

@ RecessedFilter - I was hoping that was the case with the courses. I'll absolutely take one before buying since I have a while left on the PP. I was looking at starting with a .40 that could be modded to accept 9mm, but I'm still doing some research into which ones have those kits readily available.

@Jonathan19163703 - Midway has some great stuff! sure beats amazon shipping and some prices.

@savageshooter - that makes much more sense. I was originally going to just get a slimline safe; something to hold 1 gun and some mags, but i have a feeling this is going to become as addictive as tattoos.

@Maksim - I'll look into the other ones as well, thank you!

@bLxZe - yes it is, i think. It's actually stolen from this: Fluffy, but i couldn't get it to fit with the words :)

4. I've shot a few pistols before (sig p226, beretta m9, desert eagle, glock 19) and have been fairly accurate (beginner's luck?) but I'm still stuck on trying to find something. I've been looking at a beretta 92fs, hk usp, S&W m&p40, and springfield xd. Opinions?

5. I've managed to be stuck in Saddle River (bergen county) and therefore am limited in my range choice. Are there any fairly close ranges that rent up here that anyone knows of ? Ideally, I'd like to try a few more pieces out and I'm not completely averse to driving a while but i'd rather not if I can avoid it.

If you are in Saddle River, you are only minutes away from The Firing Line in Pearl River on Middletown Road: http://www.firinglineny.com/

I know it's in New York, but you can go here and simply rent firearms of your choice and purchase ammo here too. At least you can get the feel of what you want without taking a long ride. I know he has most of what you're interested in trying out in his stock.

If you are in Saddle River, you are only minutes away from The Firing Line in Pearl River on Middletown Road: http://www.firinglineny.com/

I know it's in New York, but you can go here and simply rent firearms of your choice and purchase ammo here too. At least you can get the feel of what you want without taking a long ride. I know he has most of what you're interested in trying out in his stock.

That's perfect! it's literally a 10 minute drive from me.

Shore Shot has a large collection of rentals and an even LARGER inventory of new guns, plus a LOT of used guns not on display. I am glad I asked about the used stuff because I found a revolver I had been looking for since I got my first permit! :)

Wow- didnt know about this fireingline place and I'm just as close. Gonna check them out. So theres no prob being from NJ? Their website isnt very informative on the actuall range/gun use. If you've been there can you share some info?. I emailed but...

Isn't there an issue with bringing guns into NY?

Yes, but apparently they rent.

You cannot take your handguns into NY except for an NRA sanctioned event in which you are enrolled and have all the information on you.

Wow- didnt know about this fireingline place and I'm just as close. Gonna check them out. So theres no prob being from NJ? Their website isnt very informative on the actuall range/gun use. If you've been there can you share some info?. I emailed but...

No, their website won't elucidate much in that area. I would call them. They will respond via your email with a "call me" response.

"No, their website won't elucidate much in that area. I would call them. They will respond via your email with a "call me" response"

Thats probably good- don't like the sound of elucidating areas!

"No, their website won't elucidate much in that area. I would call them. They will respond via your email with a "call me" response"

Thats probably good- don't like the sound of elucidating areas!

I ended up there today for a bit and the hours on the door were pretty much open at 10 and close at 6, but Thursday and Friday they're open til 10. I tried out the beretta 92fs, sig p226, hk p200, glock 19 and springfield xd. Right now i'm leaning towards either the p226 or 92fs (felt better shooting than holding, but really light trigger pull threw me off completely)

It's $25 to use the range and you pay for ammo that has to be bought from them plus a cleaning and rental fee per firearm used. They just ask to see an FID to use the range. It wasn't the most helpful experience if you have no idea what you want but they're not rude or anything about it either. The guy i was talking to/working with was cool about answering questions and gave some suggestions but the other two guys working (one was the manager/owner i think) didn't really seem interested in helping a newbie out with decisions but i'll chalk that up to an off day. We'll see when i go back to try some .40's out.

I ended up there today for a bit and the hours on the door were pretty much open at 10 and close at 6, but Thursday and Friday they're open til 10. I tried out the beretta 92fs, sig p226, hk p200, glock 19 and springfield xd. Right now i'm leaning towards either the p226 or 92fs (felt better shooting than holding, but really light trigger pull threw me off completely)

It's $25 to use the range and you pay for ammo that has to be bought from them plus a cleaning and rental fee per firearm used. They just ask to see an FID to use the range. It wasn't the most helpful experience if you have no idea what you want but they're not rude or anything about it either. The guy i was talking to/working with was cool about answering questions and gave some suggestions but the other two guys working (one was the manager/owner i think) didn't really seem interested in helping a newbie out with decisions but i'll chalk that up to an off day. We'll see when i go back to try some .40's out.

Glad you got to shoot them.

So how much did it cost all in to rent, shoot, etc. Ammo costs?

I see not much has changed there.............seems personable, affable fellows are hard to come by in any retail business. I've always wondered how they managed to stay afloat but they are the ONLY place of its kind available in this area that offers such a facility.

Well, at least you got to shoot some.

Yes, but apparently they rent.

You cannot take your handguns into NY except for an NRA sanctioned event in which you are enrolled and have all the information on you.

Is this true for NY state? I thought it was just true for NY City.

Is this true for NY state? I thought it was just true for NY City.

I believe, both.

I got this from an NRA/ILA compilation

"Non-residentsIt is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel if the person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console).

A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate locked container.

Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition or IHMSA sanctioned match, within 48 hours of the competition, if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container. This provision does not apply in NY cities not wholly contained within a single county or to people with felony convictions.

Possession of firearms by a person who is a nonresident of this state is lawful while attending or traveling to or from an organized convention or exhibition approved by the NRA, and in which the nonresident is a registered participant within forty-eight hours of such event, provided that the nonresident has not been previously convicted of a felony and further provided that the firearms are transported unloaded in a locked opaque container together with a copy of the convention or exhibition program, convention or exhibition schedule or convention or exhibition registration card. This provision does not apply in NY cities not wholly contained within a single county."

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13624979/New-York-State-Gun-Laws

• Like 1

Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition or IHMSA sanctioned match, within 48 hours of the competition, if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence.

I amend my previous statement. You cannot take your handguns into NY for any reason, ever. I knew about the Olympic competitor thing, but it won't ever apply to anyone here. I had apparently misread the law. If you view the old threads on this subject here on NJGF, you'll see where we all discussed the NRA event exception.

The only pistol license in NJ is a carry permit. A Firearms Purchaser ID is for long guns. A permit to purchase a pistol is not a pistol license.

To shoot in NY, you must be a enrolled in a NRA event, have the event papers on you and have a NJ Carry Permit. This will apply to exactly zero people. It is an outright ban for NJ people.