Krdshrk

Somerset IDPA Match - 7/17/11

Just putting this up there for the new guys who want to come to the next IDPA match.

Please note - this is a LOW LIGHT/NO LIGHT match so bring your flashlights. Handheld lights only

Date: Sunday, July 17th, 2011

Time: Registration: 10:45 a.m.

New shooters briefing: 11:00 a.m.

Hammer Down: 11:30 a.m.

Cost: $10.00 (Lunch included)

For questions contact:

Tom Richards - Chairman/Match Director

cell: 732-522-4076

[email protected]

Roster:

1. Krdshrk

2. vjf915

3. Pizza Bob

4. jonathan19163703

5. Zell959

6. MrP

7. 82ndAbnRVN

Maybes:

1. hd2000fxdl (maybe)

2. Mr Shoot It All

no weapons mounted lights? why?

Hey Ray,

As to your question, in a nutshell: IDPA isn't "Tactical" ala USPSA, rather it's DEFENSIVE, designed around what you'd have under your jacket concealed. Also IDPA's thinking is that you can take an out-of-the-box hand gun and use it to play the game, without anything special required, such as flashlight holders built into gun frames. Laser grips aren't allowed for this purpose as well, I believe.

Sounds like a fun time! Tom runs a nice Match and is a great guy.

Dave

Hey Ray,

As to your question, in a nutshell: IDPA isn't "Tactical" ala USPSA, rather it's DEFENSIVE, designed around what you'd have under your jacket concealed. Also IDPA's thinking is that you can take an out-of-the-box hand gun and use it to play the game, without anything special required, such as flashlight holders built into gun frames. Laser grips aren't allowed for this purpose as well, I believe.

Sounds like a fun time! Tom runs a nice Match and is a great guy.

Dave

USPSA is not tactical.

Due to range constraints, SCFGPA IDPA is limiting the number of participants to 32 (two 16 person squads). If you want a spot, you have to e-mail Tom to have him add you to the roster. vjf915 and myself are in.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Safety reasons? I thought its never allowed?

It was also my understanding that weapon mounted lights were never allowed. The sense I get from the overall tone of the narrative present in the IDPA rulebook is that they don't want to allow equipment such as gun mounted lights & lasers, even if those items have defensive value, because their concern is that the items will present an advantage and it will become something that EVERYONE has to use if they want to be competitve.

That said, I tend to suspect IDPA rule makers overestimate their ability to prevent people from 'gaming' their way through a shooting stage.

It was also my understanding that weapon mounted lights were never allowed. The sense I get from the overall tone of the narrative present in the IDPA rulebook is that they don't want to allow equipment such as gun mounted lights & lasers, even if those items have defensive value, because their concern is that the items will present an advantage and it will become something that EVERYONE has to use if they want to be competitve.

That said, I tend to suspect IDPA rule makers overestimate their ability to prevent people from 'gaming' their way through a shooting stage.

Everyone games in one form or another.

In IDPA it is "harder" to do because there is generally one way to shoot the stage.

USPSA is not tactical.

Maybe not in the exact sense of the word. You're right. I was on my first cup of coffee. But let's face it, it's not exactly "practical" to walk around with a limcat holstered .38 Super racegun under your jacket. So how practical is "practical"? Don't get me wrong, as I play both games. Lots of "tactical-styled" stuff in USPSA from manufacturers making it to just within USPSA specs, so it doesn't break the rules, like the limcat. Some, but not so much in IDPA, as the game is designed with minimal equipment and a lower round count.

Both games are fun, and some equipment can be used to play both. I just need to remember which one I'm playing as I reload, LOL!

It doesn't have to be anything serious - just something with enough light for you to see your target. Also - I can see 1 handed operation of the flashlight being a must. No mini maglights that you have to twist to turn on.

I will be using my Streamlight TLR-1s. It's really a gun mounted light but I have been able to use it as a handheld without issues. I'll have my spare TLR-1 with me as well.

Got it. Thanks!

It doesn't have to be anything serious - just something with enough light for you to see your target. Also - I can see 1 handed operation of the flashlight being a must. No mini maglights that you have to twist to turn on.

I will be using my Streamlight TLR-1s. It's really a gun mounted light but I have been able to use it as a handheld without issues. I'll have my spare TLR-1 with me as well.

Pizza Bob and I will both be there. I'm really looking forward to the no/low light match. I'll be using my Surefire 6PX Tactical. It's the flashlight that I have on me at night, so I figured it's the best one to use for this.

As for the "gamer" comments.....these are meant to be games. I don't participate in these matches because it will help me in a firefight.....although it WILL teach me how to handle my weapon better.