gunnarsport

Slow economy and gun purchases?

Hi,

I was wondering this, just out for curiosity, have these terrible economic conditions in the country cause you to hold back on future firearms

purchases? Or has it been just the opposite, where people are buying more firearms to protect themselves for the unimaginable should ever happen if

us society ever breaks down, and its every man for themselves?

Sounds extreme, but lets all pray out country never comes to that.

Yes, I've held back. I could have gotten a half-dozen pieces (rifle-shotgun-pistol) if I was making more money and could afford it.

Only the new to firearms folk are buying out of fear of the end of civilization, LOL! I needn't worry!

I have seen a big jump in first time gun owners getting training. I think the majority of the veteran gun owners (for lack of a better term) have themselves pretty squared away. Personally, because of the political climate, have been buying high cap mags (and storing them out of state) and ammunition.

I would agree that many people have been pulled in to the firearms community because of the downturn of the economy, and the down turn in general of the government. Becuase the economy took a hit around the time the obama scare happened its hard to distinguish between the two. People are starting to realize that they are the only ones that can protect themselves when it really matters. For those already in the firearms community i feel they probably have less motivation to buy more, since they already have what they need. Necessities take precedence over everything. 2 years ago i had nothing, now i have 2 handguns and a rifle, i have shifted to purchasing ammo in bulk now when i can afford it. I would have many more firearm if i had the funds.

Yes, I've held back. I could have gotten a half-dozen pieces (rifle-shotgun-pistol) if I was making more money and could afford it.

Only the new to firearms folk are buying out of fear of the end of civilization, LOL! I needn't worry!

Lol pretty accurate description of me. Too bad being 19, and only having two minimum wage jobs makes it hard to get the spare cash to purchase, or even practice with firearms.

great question...

honestly it hasnt. However, what I would say is, better to spend money on used guns. Worst case, they will not lose value. You can always sell them or what you paid or them.

As long as you dont buy every gun brand new, and look or deals that come up, it is tough to be in the hole. The real costs of this sport is ammo.

Buying new = guaranteed loss. (depreciating asset)

buying used = merely exchanging one asset (cash) into another .

Ammo, shooting range fees = expense

• Like 1

Lol pretty accurate description of me. Too bad being 19, and only having two minimum wage jobs makes it hard to get the spare cash to purchase, or even practice with firearms.

Being your 19 and can't purchase a handgun yet I would take a look a a cheap 22LR rifle. they are fun to shoot, CHEAP to shoot, mine eats any bulk ammo I have fed it but I haven't tried them all but can say Federal 525 packs work well. I picked up mine from Dick's Sporting and I think it was about $120 or at least in that ballpark, at the time there was either 10 or 20 % off on 100 dollar or more sales and guns and ammo were included in the sale. Now even if you don't get in on a sale Marlin is offering a $25 rebate till the end of the year.

Now that you are wondering what rifle I am talking about, Well it's the Marlin 795 and I even bought a second one because it was just too nice of a deal and now I have one for my daughter and one for my wife. My girls and I can shoot 22LR rifles all day and not cost a fortune at .03 cents a round.

Just to compare some of my bulk pricing and deals on my 9mm ammo at .20 cents a round and not to mention my 40 S&W at about .31 cents a round and the 22LR is a bargain to shoot and lets not talk about my 30/30 rifle. lol

Harry

I'd disgaree with you on these points Maks

That depends on how long you keep them and how you take care of them. For example I have a S&W M64 in excellent+ condition I bought new for $135 in 1974. Also have a Combat Commander (could use a refinsh, have had internals rebuilt once) I paid $175 for about the same time.

buying used = merely exchanging one asset (cash) into another

AFAIC most prices on Gunbroker are very high although you can recoup your money if you do with them as I said new ones.

This is little consideration for many who buy a firearm for SD they buy the gun, shoot it a bit, maybe get a little instruction, and keep it in the nightstand for the nexr 40-50 years. I bought a Model 36 S&W from a dentist who bought it during the riots in the 1960s and a box of WW RNL ammo with 10 rds missing. It was as new. He asked for $100, I said it was worth more but he responded he wanted to get rid of it and had only paid $65.

That depends on how long you keep them and how you take care of them. For example I have a S&W M64 in excellent+ condition I bought new for $135 in 1974. Also have a Combat Commander (could use a refinsh, have had internals rebuilt once) I paid $175 for about the same time.

AFAIC most prices on Gunbroker are very high although you can recoup your money if you do with them as I said new ones.

This is little consideration for many who buy a firearm for SD they buy the gun, shoot it a bit, maybe get a little instruction, and keep it in the nightstand for the nexr 40-50 years. I bought a Model 36 S&W from a dentist who bought it during the riots in the 1960s and a box of WW RNL ammo with 10 rds missing. It was as new. He asked for $100, I said it was worth more but he responded he wanted to get rid of it and had only paid $65.

Good point Griz.

At times, Gunbroker reminds me of a frenzied Barrett-Jackson auction.

Want to buy firearms that invariably appreciate in value each year, and over time will double in price? Invest in Belgium Browning's, Winchester "anything that's pre-64," and Winchester M21 doubles. Also, pre-war American shotguns such as Parker's, Ithaca's, L.C. Smith's, A.H. Fox's and Lefever's are fetching good prices today because they just didn't make that many of them. And some are clearly the epitome and apex of American gunmaking art, from an era that will no longer be seen for that type of work can never be duplicated on a mass production level in America again.

Yes, you are right, a new gun, in the long term, can possibly be sold for more than what you paid for it new, however that is the exception and not the rule. You are banking that it will be a collectible. In most cases, what it will be is that, yes in 10 years, with the cost of inflation you will nominally recoup your cost, however on an inflation adjusted basis, might be tougher.

Point being... say you buy your glock, xd, smith wesson 1911, or what not, any gun.... and you buy it new... 6 months from now, a year from now, you will not get back what you spent* (in most circumstances)

Buy a brand new Glock for $550, try selling it used for $550, aint happening.

Here is a common cycle that you see here, and no offense to certain offenders on this very forum.

Buy brand new Glock for $550. Discover they want an M&P better. Best case scenario, they sell it here on the forum for $400 (or sell it to the dealer for $250). Locked in $150 loss. Then, you go and buy a brand new M&P for $550, and the cycle begins. (guns are an expense)

A savy njgf user.... sees that used glock for $400, and wanted one for some time. They buy it. Shoot it, they decide they want an M&P. They Sell the Glock for at least the same $400. Find a used M&P.

Better yet, have your list, have cash avail, and don't be a hot head, deals will come to you. Hence the story of the $100 Hk P30L, and some others.

Obviously collectible guns and those that are discontinued, or have outside forces will temporarily swing the prices, such as the OBama gun mania driving WASR's to $850, the fear of import ban on Saiga 12's that drove them to $1,200. Now those wasr's can be had for the same $350 400, and the Saiga 12's all day long at $650.

For a new person, yes, I would recommend getting a new gun, with a warranty. But... I would then highly recommend getting familiar with firearms basics, and not be afraid to pick up a used gun. Lets be honest, for most people, a used gun is 50 rounds down the barrel. A Heavily used gun may have 1,000 rounds. Which in reality... is nothing to the gun.

Add in the fact that some will carry a lifetime warranty, and most warranty cards are not sent in, you have very little to worry about. If there are questions, there are many people here who would answer those questions.

In the 2.5 years of this forum, I have never had a transaction where a gun was misrepresented or had any issues I was not aware of. In fact, the crap transactions were from Gunbroker, where all you have a pictures taken from the best angles.

If you are on this forum, active within the community, know what you want, and are open to looking for deals, there is absolutely no reason why anyone would be losing money buying firearms.

Being your 19 and can't purchase a handgun yet I would take a look a a cheap 22LR rifle. they are fun to shoot, CHEAP to shoot, mine eats any bulk ammo I have fed it but I haven't tried them all but can say Federal 525 packs work well. I picked up mine from Dick's Sporting and I think it was about $120 or at least in that ballpark, at the time there was either 10 or 20 % off on 100 dollar or more sales and guns and ammo were included in the sale. Now even if you don't get in on a sale Marlin is offering a $25 rebate till the end of the year.

Now that you are wondering what rifle I am talking about, Well it's the Marlin 795 and I even bought a second one because it was just too nice of a deal and now I have one for my daughter and one for my wife. My girls and I can shoot 22LR rifles all day and not cost a fortune at .03 cents a round.

Just to compare some of my bulk pricing and deals on my 9mm ammo at .20 cents a round and not to mention my 40 S&W at about .31 cents a round and the 22LR is a bargain to shoot and lets not talk about my 30/30 rifle. lol

Harry

Sorry for the necropost, but to be honest, at least to me, this is still an interesting topic.

My first gun (bought within 4 hours of receiving my FID) was a Savage MKII .22LR just for that reason. I like a lot of older military-style rifles, especially K98s, Lugers (when I'm 21), SKSes, etc. I have a CZ24, but haven't been able to afford a range membership to use it, since I want a 300yd range.