Sign in to follow this  
vjf915

Bank robbery at Chase

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2011/08/teller_shot_during_bank_robber.html

Quite unnerving that I work at a bank located half a mile down the road from this branch. It happened at 10am this morning, the man fled on foot. Helicopters and out of town police were also used in the search for this man. It seems like bank robberies are becoming more and more common.

The Chase bank near me has plexiglass windows....that are about a foot high...Its more like a very low sneeze guard....From about chest level and up is completely open at the teller window...They even have one of those plexi boxes to pass large items through....which makes no sense, as there is no plexi wall that would require the box.....Makes no sense at all

The Chase bank near me has plexiglass windows....that are about a foot high...Its more like a very low sneeze guard....From about chest level and up is completely open at the teller window...They even have one of those plexi boxes to pass large items through....which makes no sense, as there is no plexi wall that would require the box.....Makes no sense at all

If it's an older branch, the glass may have been converted from counter-to-ceiling ballistic glass to what you have now. The box might be a holdover.

My bro's wife was @ the bank when it was being robbed. The guy walked up to her, saw she had a check and then ran out. If she had cash, she would have been SOL. She had no idea the guy just robbed the back. Funny part is, my bro is a cop w/ Suffolk Cty PD.

Ever since banks could insure their money they began to take away higher levels of security for a more "pleasant" atmosphere for customers. Employees are barely a concern for big banks especially since if they get shot they have insurance on them as well to pay out to grieving families. I would rather bank at a high security bank then some nonsense like PNC where you basically do your transaction at a desk open.

Ok... perhaps the most concerning part is...

"This is the third time the bank has been robbed since November when an armed suspect made off with an undisclosed amount of cash."

WTF?!?!!? A chase.... in Hamilton? Since when did they decide to give Lakewood it's run for the money.

I'm wondering if banks are going to start going with armed guards. Unfortunately, I just don't think it's going to happen.

I haven't really seen any sort of armed guards in any banks at least around here, it would definitely be a good deterrent, it would also be a 25K+ expense every year per guard on a what if. If a bank or company got a break on their insurance premiums for having a guard it may be a good investment.

I haven't really seen any sort of armed guards in any banks at least around here, it would definitely be a good deterrent, it would also be a 25K+ expense every year per guard on a what if. If a bank or company got a break on their insurance premiums for having a guard it may be a good investment.

Think of it as more than just an investment to protect money though. As you said, I'm sure that insurance costs would go down because with an armed guard, the bank is less likely to get robbed. On top of that, if you frequent a bank....are you going to frequent one without an armed guard, or one with an armed guard? I'm going to the one with an armed guard because it's safer. It has the potential to draw in more customers.

Hadn't realized, until this morning, that the robber shot a teller in the process. Vic, they ought to pay you a whole lot more money, or in the alternative, let you come to work strapped. :icon_mrgreen:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

First Atlantic (one of the banks robbed in the above link) had a branch in Eatontown on Industrial Way that when you went in was basically exactly like a drive up window. You saw the tellers on a video screen, you deposited your money into one of those pneumatic tubes etc. I found it ODD at the time, but then thought about the security implications of that and realized that it was really secure. Funny that the branch that was hit was Neptune and they seem to have gone back to a typical teller counter there.

People still want human interaction and the impersonality of someone serving you from a drive up type arrangement indoors was probably not very attractive...

Ok... perhaps the most concerning part is...

"This is the third time the bank has been robbed since November when an armed suspect made off with an undisclosed amount of cash."

WTF?!?!!? A chase.... in Hamilton? Since when did they decide to give Lakewood it's run for the money.

Because of that bank's policy when it comes to robberies.....Cooperate fully, Give the robber anything he wants, NOBODY intereferes, and the alarm isnt hit until well after he is gone. The old Howard bank was the same way although THEIR policy was to lock everyone in for 15 minutes after the robbery (Pre-Cellphone days)

Because of that bank's policy when it comes to robberies.....Cooperate fully, Give the robber anything he wants, NOBODY intereferes, and the alarm isnt hit until well after he is gone. The old Howard bank was the same way although THEIR policy was to lock everyone in for 15 minutes after the robbery (Pre-Cellphone days)

My bank is kind of like the New Jersey of banks. Everything is very vague like "Don't do anything to aggravate the robber, but IF YOU CAN, hit the silent alarm without alerting the robber." It kind of makes me think that if I'm standing in front of a robber, and I try to inconspicuously activate the silent alarm, and the robber notices and shoots me......my bank will turn around and say "Nope, sorry, that wasn't the right time for you to hit it....you disobeyed policy, you're SOL." It's all very vague, and leaves a lot of room for speculation.

I remember as a kid going to work with my dad in NYC. He used the bank in his building. When we went in one day he goes, you see that guard over there? 2 people tried to rob the bank last month and he shot them both dead!

That was back in the '70s. The good old days!