Small of Back Holster?

Ankle Holster?

IDPA Holster?

USPSA Holster?

Cowboy Action Shooting Holster?

Shoulder vertical holster?

Shoulder horizontal holster?

IWB I like the Comptac Mtac.

OWB, I bought a Blackhawk Serpa. Some folks think the design is conducive to an accidental discharge and that may be true, but for over all cheap and it gets on you, these holsters work fine.

I like De Santis the best overall. I have some De Santis holsters I use regularly that are over 20 years old, they still have kept their shape, no problem with stitching and I use them to this day. I also have some Bianchi leather for the past 35 years that are still in use.

Just about any quality holster is really good to go.

"You get what you pay for" is very applicable.

So how do you guys feel about nylon holsters?

I have a friend that says he would rather have the cheapest leather holster than any nylon holster. That may be going too far but my experience with nylon holsters has not been good. They tend to fray a bit if you use it all the time. I have some nylon shoulder holsters I only use once in awhile and they serve their purpose.

For cheap belt holsters I think you're better off with Kydex.

So how do you guys feel about nylon holsters?

They're great........for airsoft.

Think about what you paid for your firearm - now why would you subject it to a Walmart holster? Reminds me of the Bell helmet ads of the '60's - "Got a ten dollar head? Buy a ten dollar helmet."

As has been said, what do you intend to do with it? What gun (specifically) is it for?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Everything ive read says no go on the serpa. Look at the threads all over the net for people getting the gun stuck in the holster when dirt gets in the button. Also people shooting themselves. But the first reason is more of an issue to me.

So your first issue would be the gun getting stuck, me personally would think the second, shooting myself would be the bigger issue. :icon_mrgreen:

Harry

I'm not so worried about the gun getting stuck. I've been using a serpa for years for Airsoft. I crawl around in the dirt/etc and have yet to have the button stick.

The shooting-yourself thing comes down to proper training. Don't stick your finger in the trigger guard while pulling it up... learn how to index your finger correctly.

So how do you guys feel about nylon holsters? I want the best that I can get, but not too expensive. I don't think I would be using it all the time so it doesn't need to be a professional one.

OWB - I use the Blackhawk Serpa CQC;

IWB - I use the CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe

Shoulder - I use the Blackhawk Serpa harness and put the OWB Serpa holster from above on it for the caliber I am using.

Are there any benefits to IWB for non-concealed carry? Specifically for games and general shooting from a holster at the range.

No, except for the practice it affords, if that's the way you carry. Most ranges won't let you work from a holster. As has been said, Kydex is the "gamiest" solution for games (USPSA, IDPA, steel).

OWB - I use the Blackhawk Serpa CQC;

IWB - I use the CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe

Shoulder - I use the Blackhawk Serpa harness and put the OWB Serpa holster from above on it for the caliber I am using.

Do you use the Quick Disconnect kit? I use it for switching between my USPSA rig and my STRIKE platform on my tac gear.

I've been thinking of ditching my SERPA for a 5.11 thumb drive. I've read a lot of good reviews on those.

Be careful mixing Serpas and Thumb Drives - here's a story & video you might find interesting...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/08/26/i-shot-myself-negligent-discharge-caught-on-camera/

Gotcha. So I'm new to pistols, have no CCW permit in any state, and don't compete. I have vague notions of wanting to do pistol competitions at some point in the future but for now I would rather spend my limited funds on training instead. Is there any need for me to buy a holster? There's a basic one for my gun model (Glock 19) on Dvor right now for $31. Is there some holster need/use I'm overlooking?

The only thing I can think of would be as a "sheath" to cover the trigger guard so if I have to reach into my nightstand in the dark, groggy, in the middle of the night, I don't accidentally hit the trigger. Should I buy a holster?

Gotcha. So I'm new to pistols, have no CCW permit in any state, and don't compete. I have vague notions of wanting to do pistol competitions at some point in the future but for now I would rather spend my limited funds on training instead. Is there any need for me to buy a holster? There's a basic one for my gun model (Glock 19) on Dvor right now for $31. Is there some holster need/use I'm overlooking?

The only thing I can think of would be as a "sheath" to cover the trigger guard so if I have to reach into my nightstand in the dark, groggy, in the middle of the night, I don't accidentally hit the trigger. Should I buy a holster?

No. Once you become more proficient/comfortable with your pistol you should buy holsters to fit your needs. There's no sense in buying one just to buy one. If/when you become interested in gun games you'll quickly find Kydex is the preferred material, and that leather is preferred for carrying. Spend money on professional training, either an NRA course or a beginner's pistol course taught by a vetted instructor. It is by far the best investment you can make. If you're concerned about "hitting" the trigger and having it go off in the middle of the night you either lack the basic skills necessary to operate a pistol safely, and/or have a SA trigger that's far too light. If you're awoken in the night and have a gut feeling something is terribly amiss, your mind will be surprisingly clear.

For some reason, new shooters never seem to grasp the concept so I'll repeat it once more and I apologize if it's unnecessary in your case...

Reading the internet/gun mags is NOT the same as professional training. Someone needs to be there to show you what you're doing wrong and how you could do it better as it happens. Old habits die hard, so please start off with good habits.

See you on the range!

Do you use the Quick Disconnect kit? I use it for switching between my USPSA rig and my STRIKE platform on my tac gear.

No, I haven't used it. I was concerned about the quick disconnect moving the .45 farther away from my body on both th eshoulder harness and the paddle. 4 screws and I can move it in a few minutes.

Are there any benefits to IWB for non-concealed carry? Specifically for games and general shooting from a holster at the range.

Be very careful here. IWB holsters are sometimes made of softer leather materials for comfort. These soft leathers pinch together when empty and require you to open then with your fingers while inserting the gun into the holster. That means that you might have to "cross yourself" by pointing a loaded gun at your fingers in order to re-holster after loading the gun! In my experience (which is considerable) no League Chair or R-O will let you cross yourself while "making ready". This goes for ALL disciplines! So not only is an IWB holster a distinct disadvantage speed-wise during a Game, it can get you DQ'd BEFORE YOU FIRE A SHOT!!

Dave

League Chairman for PPC

NRA RSO

Be careful mixing Serpas and Thumb Drives - here's a story & video you might find interesting...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/08/26/i-shot-myself-negligent-discharge-caught-on-camera/

Oh yeah, I saw that. If I were going to Thumb Drive, I would simply dump my SERPAs... No sense keeping both if I settle on one I like better.