Dubhead88

sights?

whats going on guys i just just picked up a rem 870 today and was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for a nice set of front and rear fiber optics. Mainly going to be used for skeet and deer and turkey once i get my hunting license. any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

No need for a rear sight. If you really want a fiber optic front I'm sure someone can recommend one, but I would stick to just the factory bead sight for now. I've destroyed cases upon cases of clay pigeons and killed many birds with nothing more than a bead.

• Like 1

No need for a rear sight. If you really want a fiber optic front I'm sure someone can recommend one, but I would stick to just the factory bead sight for now. I've destroyed cases upon cases of clay pigeons and killed many birds with nothing more than a bead.

Such wisdom. Greatest thing you can do to improve your shooting is shoot.

• Like 2

whats going on guys i just just picked up a rem 870 today and was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for a nice set of front and rear fiber optics. Mainly going to be used for skeet and deer and turkey once i get my hunting license. any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Ditto what others have said. With a bead front sight on a shotgun, the "rear sight" is you; your head nestled on the comb with a proper cheek weld and consistent gun mount to your shoulder each and every time. It's more than adequate for clays, birds, turkey, or shooting buckshot. Just remember if you want to shoot slugs in N.J. you do need front and rear sights. If you have a bird barrel with RemChoke installed on your 870 now, getting yourself a slug barrel is probably the optimal solution to cover all aspects of game you intend to hunt.

Even with my 1897 which has a bead, cyl bore, and no rib, I can put slug after slug onto a man sized target at 100 yards with ease. I dont know what more you could ask for out of a smooth bore that doesnt even have a rib. You arent going to shoot 1" groups at 400 yards with it no matter what sights you have on it.

Even with my 1897 which has a bead, cyl bore, and no rib, I can put slug after slug onto a man sized target at 100 yards with ease. I dont know what more you could ask for out of a smooth bore that doesnt even have a rib. You arent going to shoot 1" groups at 400 yards with it no matter what sights you have on it.

Yes, but NJ requires a rear sight if you shoot slugs, as you are very well aware Mr. Hunter Ed. :sarcastichand:

I don't hunt, but I do shoot a lot of clays. And I mean a LOT of clays! Went though at least 20 cases so far this year, seems like a bad habit................ ;)

I was using the stock beeds on my Remmington 1100. I then decided to try a snap-on fiber optic front site. Makes it a little easier to keep the barrel lined-up with the clay when trying to follow it side to side. Straight-away it doesn't matter. They are cheap (less than $30) and can be taken on and off at anytime, they have two magnets that hold it in place. Some have double sided tape, obviously you won't be removing and re-installing that one too often. Got my stuff through Brownells.

And as said above, practice, practice, practice!

I don't hunt, but I do shoot a lot of clays. And I mean a LOT of clays! Went though at least 20 cases so far this year, seems like a bad habit................ ;)

I was using the stock beeds on my Remmington 1100. I then decided to try a snap-on fiber optic front site. Makes it a little easier to keep the barrel lined-up with the clay when trying to follow it side to side. Straight-away it doesn't matter. They are cheap (less than $30) and can be taken on and off at anytime, they have two magnets that hold it in place. Some have double sided tape, obviously you won't be removing and re-installing that one too often. Got my stuff through Brownells.

And as said above, practice, practice, practice!

nice where do you go shooting i went skeet shooting the other day and i could deff use some practice.

Dubhead88,

Here's an assortment of bead front sights if you decide to change things on your vent rib barrel. I picked this website just because of the variety w/ photos depicted. As you can see, there are plenty of variables out there: Bead Sights

I personally like the old style red Raybar sight Ithaca used on their M37's. I even have an old original Raybar sight mounted on a Browning A5 barrel. They are somewhat luminous yet sturdy. Other shotguns vary with the style of bead they come standard with today. The white Bradley-style beads on my older Remington's are nice and they stand out. Browning field guns usually have a bright German silver front bead and these are readily visible. Real ivory beads are nice and look good on classic doubles but they can be expensive. Beretta field guns usually have a brass front bead. They are so small you can barely discern them. I'm only cognizant of the front bead on any shotgun when I'm sighting on a stationary object though. When the barrel is moving on game or targets, the bead is simply a secondary blur, for you should be focused on your target and ahead of it. I prefer front bead sights that are threaded to the rib or ramp so I know they will stay in place under hard use.

I see Ithaca now has their Raybar front sight in green with a 6-48 thread which should fit most American shotguns with a vent. rib:

370063-FSB-GRN%20(front%20sight%20bead%20green).jpg

Parker,

Thanks for the advice. I got a set of Raybar replacements from Ithaca. After the fact they let me know they are just regular Tru-Glo shotgun sights. :)

They work perfectly though. Being a bit taller than the ivory bead, I will now have to get a little used to covering the clay with my front sight. Before, I always put the bead beneath it.

Parker,

Thanks for the advice. I got a set of Raybar replacements from Ithaca. After the fact they let me know they are just regular Tru-Glo shotgun sights. :)

They work perfectly though. Being a bit taller than the ivory bead, I will now have to get a little used to covering the clay with my front sight. Before, I always put the bead beneath it.

Glad it worked out for you. I noticed from the picture depicted on Ithaca's website that I posted previously the green model shows the metal surrounding the colored pipe is higher and thicker than found on my older Raybar units. Mine date back to the 60's, and the part that encases the plastic is made of brass. And it's very thin, so the height of the front sight is slightly more than the thickness of the plastic pipe. The originals look like this one I found on eBay: Ithaca Raybar

TIA

Leave as is.

TIA

As has been said here before, rifle sights will be distracting on a clays gun which is pointed and not aimed.

Rifle sights on a turkey gun are useful, and some turkey barrels are shipped with them from the factory.

• Like 1