Maksim

Top production handguns, USPSA Nationals 2011

Found this on another forum.

2011 at Nationals - Top 15 in Production...

1. Ben Stoeger Beretta

2. Rob Leatham Springfield XDM

3. Dave Sevigny Glock

4. Matt Mink CZ

5. Phil Strader CZ

6. Rodney May Sig X5

7. Kale Garretson CZ

8. Brad Engmann S&W M&P

9. Angus Hobdell CZ

10. Lee Demaculangan Glock

11. Sonny Morton S&W M&P

12. Chad Reilly CZ

13. Michael Hollar Glock

14. Cody McKenna CZ

15. Mike Hughes S&W M&P

and only 3 out of the top 15 use Glocks.

A ton of CZ's. =)

Maks- How different are the sponsorship programs between the manufacturers? How much does this account for the choice of pistols? BTW, Dave Sevigny I heard is leaving GLOCK.

Yeah. Its one of the ones they don't make anymore though. One of the billeniums or something.

Goes to show you that da/sa can be competitive with the striker fired guns.

I owned a Beretta Steel I, which is nearly the same gun as the BIlennium. Mine was in Single Action though. I'm sure his is SA/DA. It was a sweet shooter, but was also a boat anchor. I guess it depends what you like.

Yeah. Its one of the ones they don't make anymore though. One of the billeniums or something.

Goes to show you that da/sa can be competitive with the striker fired guns.

I can assure you it is far from box stock (same goes for most of the guns used by the top 15)

I think an overall number is needed to have a better idea of what guns were used by the production shooters.

This list actually illustrates an excellent point: while we gun owners perpetually argue over which platform is best for whatever arbitrary reasons, top quality talent can use, adapt and win with damn near <b>anything</b>. Nitpicking things like bore axis, grip angle, muzzle balance, etc is nothing more than just a scapegoat for poor training and bad shooting. The Beretta in #1 position is a surprising, yet refreshing reminder of this.

• Like 2

This list actually illustrates an excellent point: while we gun owners perpetually argue over which platform is best for whatever arbitrary reasons, top quality talent can use, adapt and win with damn near <b>anything</b>. Nitpicking things like bore axis, grip angle, muzzle balance, etc is nothing more than just a scapegoat for poor training and bad shooting. The Beretta in #1 position is a surprising, yet refreshing reminder of this.

Exactly my point.

Equipment def plays a part, but not a huge part.

In my opinion it's 90% the person and 10% the gun.

Having shot the guns of past Beretta team shooters I assure you they are nothing like actual production firearms, and every single one of them chose to shoot something else as soon as they parted ways with the company. Yes top shooters could outshoot me with a muzzleloader, but at that level sponsorship makes a big difference in choice of tools

Having shot the guns of past Beretta team shooters I assure you they are nothing like actual production firearms, and every single one of them chose to shoot something else as soon as they parted ways with the company. Yes top shooters could outshoot me with a muzzleloader, but at that level sponsorship makes a big difference in choice of tools

I'm sure that any of the guns from team shooters are finely tuned. Take apart any of the guns from those top 10 guys and you will prob find that everything is hand fitted and polished to the nines.

I'll take one of each please.

A friend of mine directed me to this thread.

I just though I would let you know that I in no way get financial support from Beretta or any other gun company.

My gun is a Beretta 92G Elite 2. It has had very few modifications and I am sure you would be surprised at how close to stock it is.

• Like 3

A friend of mine directed me to this thread.

I just though I would let you know that I in no way get financial support from Beretta or any other gun company.

My gun is a Beretta 92G Elite 2. It has had very few modifications and I am sure you would be surprised at how close to stock it is.

Awesome. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info!

I'm sure that any of the guns from team shooters are finely tuned. Take apart any of the guns from those top 10 guys and you will prob find that everything is hand fitted and polished to the nines.

Not really true... I only saw one guy on the Super Squad that even had a replacement barrel. (Chuck Anderson with this Glock 34)

Thanks guys!

I just wanted to let you know that USPSA is an amateur sport. There are a few guys that make a living at it... but most everyone is just in it for fun. Anyone can go to nationals and shoot against legends like Rob and Dave. You don’t need a trick gun. You don’t need a corporate sponsor.

I have a square deal B reloading press and a beat up old Beretta… and that is all it takes!

Go to USPSA.org and find a match already.

All dem CZs. Makes me happy. I'm considering a CZ75B for my next purchase. Also, would the Mike Hughes in that list be the same Mike Hughes currently on Top Shot?

The 75B or other more common model is the way to go, while I really like my CZ 75-TS, great shooter, (1000 times better than I) and a trigger I have to tell people is not a trigger job then they feel it, would if I had to do it all over would have went with another CZ model or STI. The only reason I say a different model other than the 75-TS is there are too made parts and accessories for the TS that are only for that gun. The other models have a lot more common parts and interchangeable accessories.

Harry

Not really true... I only saw one guy on the Super Squad that even had a replacement barrel. (Chuck Anderson with this Glock 34)

That's interesting. By the way I seem to be one of the few Beretta 92 shooters at the USPSA matches I go to here in central NJ. The only thing I have done to my gun is the installation of a "D" spring. I have thought about getting something else but it's worked great so far, and I've always gone against the grain so why stop now?

I have thought about sending it to David Olhasso for a trigger job but probably won't do that until Dec, Jan. What surprised me was that he was shooting at our local match in Old Bridge. Him and his buddy were shooting revolvers. I didn't know it was him until after the scores came out and I saw his name on it. I would have loved for a chance to shoot on his squad. Even with a revolver he came out pretty high in the standings overall. That's saying a lot in the... what gun you shoot dept.

That's interesting. By the way I seem to be one of the few Beretta 92 shooters at the USPSA matches I go to here in central NJ. The only thing I have done to my gun is the installation of a "D" spring. I have thought about getting something else but it's worked great so far, and I've always gone against the grain so why stop now?

I have thought about sending it to David Olhasso for a trigger job but probably won't do that until Dec, Jan. What surprised me was that he was shooting at our local match in Old Bridge. Him and his buddy were shooting revolvers. I didn't know it was him until after the scores came out and I saw his name on it. I would have loved for a chance to shoot on his squad. Even with a revolver he came out pretty high in the standings overall. That's saying a lot in the... what gun you shoot dept.

I shot with david ohassa last weekend and his 10 year old son Nate.. Who is he?

He shot revolver and was dam good..

I shot with david ohassa last weekend and his 10 year old son Nate.. Who is he?

He shot revolver and was dam good..

Dave Olhasso is a local (PA) shooter who is a GM in USPSA And M in IDPA. He also competes in 3gun and steel matches.

He competes all over the country and world.

He was sponsored by Beretta and now is sponsored by S&W.

He does work on Beretta's and turns out some nice trigger jobs.

Well said!

Did HK not make that list because they're not so into shooting sports? I used my USP Compact in

my first ever USPSA match. I couldn't really tell you if it's good or bad for competition since

I'm a bit of a newb, but they do have a great reputation for reliability/accuracy. I'm also surprised

to see Sig only make it there once and not a more common model like the 226. I'm also very surprised

to see Beretta in the top spot. Maybe one day if I make Grand Master I'll put a High Point on that list :icon_mrgreen: