hd2000fxdl

Video Game's

After seeing the thread about the new and great video game that's coming out and them the mention of some old beer commercials and the talk about some old phone the last few days. Well here is a commercial that believe it or not when some of us were young couldn't wait to get one of these.

wow how things have changed. think I need to show my 12yo this when I get home.

I know the TVs, Just never new they had a video game consle.

Yup, tape that picture of the Hockey rink on the screen, or tape the tennis court and you were good to go, the one we had had a bunch of choices, Pong, Pong Hockey, Pong tennis, I think it even had Pong Squash, but never could afford the Pong Bad-mitten.

I know Ray is just trying to start sh*t, and that's cool, ha. But I think video games in the right application and in the right amount serve their purpose.

Simulated reality has proven to be an effective measure at providing a source of awe-inspiration that many are often incapable of, or unaware that they are capable. There was actually a fascinating study done on it by a researcher from a think-tank who specializes in alternate reality games and also is a programmer herself. This source was dubbed something similar to the 'epic win' emotion that people feel during moments of sheer jubilation, when they are moments from failure, but beat the odds.

Also, games have been proven to teach children and young adults the importance of regiment and the fact that there is always a solution. Whether the path is "open-world" or linear, there is always a conclusion to any video game that results from the ability to figure out, in simple thoughts, the regiment/routine. The same could be applied to most any problem in real life, whether the solution is straight forward or more creative.

Another beauty of games, and more so with the concept of avatars, is that it allows individuals to express how they perceive their identity in environments that, for the most part, will embrace said identity. While I absolutely agree that there is more value in finding one's identity from daily, real-life interactions, there is also a massive normative way of thinking in the US (and the same would apply to other cultures). Normative meaning that there are social laws/rules that people must abide by or they are seen as outcasts, which is either acted upon physically or mentally (or spiritually)-- often being malicious. While people can/will still face the same types of normative thinking in a virtual reality, this environment is more controlled and allows for their to be actions without as much consequence-- allowing for experimentation with great feedback and little consequence. This can then be applied to, more importantly, real life.

Simulated reality has also been used by the US military to better train troops. I can speak for myself that I have personally witnessed and participated in virtual/simulated reality training in which I learned and improved my own skill sets, whether it was marksmanship or act/react situations.

Of course though, as I noted at the beginning, there is a point where a person can definitely interact too much with their video games. Learning social skills in huge communities is great, but entrenching one's self where they forgo real life encounters is negative in that while they may find satisfaction in that one community, the world continues to spin regardless. This includes not doing well in school, developing physical problems because a person loses interest in physical activity (obesity, diabetes, chronic back and joint pains, etc), and becoming too dependent (though this is my own opinion).

I am actually considering doing some research in foreign countries related to the gaming and the introduction of gaming/social-based media. Really fascinating stuff to see how what we have in our pockets (aka phones) that we really don't think twice about can absolutely change the landscape of places that barely can keep the lights on and have running water. It partially is inspiring, and partially frightening (think technology getting ahead of the people, and it's detrimental effects).

• Like 1

-1 Ben

nintendo games damage the mind, pick up a ball and get your fat, lazy @$$ outside and play! That's what I did, and look at me now.

Not true at all, i did a research project on video games for school and their impact on developing minds. Many people who did studies found them to be extremely beneficial if A) the kid doesn't stuff his face while playing and B) doesnt spend all day playing them.

Games not only improve fine motor skills they also improve critical thinking and stimulate the mind. In many cases they give kids a way to release aggression in a controlled environment. They also have an extreme sense of reward, something normally associated with males. Video games do not rot the brain, however, just like anything in life, to much of something is never good. Video games are not meant to replace anything, but rather offer differentiation in growing minds.

Sorry, I remember playing outside all day and only coming home to eat and drink. I see the sports programs in the public school systems today and some of these "athlete's" can't even throw a football or hit a baseball. I understand playing nintendo once in a while or if it's raining but these kids do it all friggen day. The times have changed

• Like 2

Ha, what do you base your perceptions on, Ray?

As a kid, I spent all day outside playing basketball or football for hours, literally. Even played ball against Andrew Bynum on the local courts more times then I can remember.

I also spent time playing video games, getting involved in the community, etc.

I swam varsity for four years, was All-County for four years, and swam with some of the best in the world on my club team for over 10 years. I was also heavily involved with gaming as a CAL admin, and manager for a "professional" gaming team-- and was part of the group that helped create the concept for DirecTV's World Championship Gaming series.

I then ended up serving four years with distinction in a extremely precise and technically advanced military job that required quite a bit of physical exertion.

If you're basing it off of pure stereotypes and other hoopla that media is throwing down your throat, well, troll on, Ray, troll on.

Sorry, I remember playing outside all day and only coming home to eat and drink. I see the sports programs in the public school systems today and some of these "athlete's" can't even throw a football or hit a baseball. I understand playing nintendo once in a while or if it's raining but these kids do it all friggen day. The times have changed

You cant really be blaming video games for poor parenting? If you teach your kids a little discipline this is a non-issue. Most kids play at night when their parents want them home in the house. I know i dont turn my xbox on until at least 10pm when im done with the day and ready to unwind.

Ha, what do you base your perceptions on, Ray?

As a kid, I spent all day outside playing basketball or football for hours, literally. Even played ball against Andrew Bynum on the local courts more times then I can remember.

I also spent time playing video games, getting involved in the community, etc.

I swam varsity for four years, was All-County for four years, and swam with some of the best in the world on my club team for over 10 years. I was also heavily involved with gaming as a CAL admin, and manager for a "professional" gaming team-- and was part of the group that helped create the concept for DirecTV's World Championship Gaming series.

I then ended up serving four years with distinction in a extremely precise and technically advanced military job that required quite a bit of physical exertion.

If you're basing it off of pure stereotypes and other hoopla that media is throwing down your throat, well, troll on, Ray, troll on.

I base it on what I see working for the local board of education. Kids today are lazy, mindless, dirty-mouthed, disrespectful, punks. All they want to do is Tweet, facebook, text, eat junk food, play video games and run their mouths. Of course not all kids, but walk with me one day at the local high school and you'll see exactly what I'm saying.

I base it on what I see working for the local board of education. Kids today are lazy, mindless, dirty-mouthed, disrespectful, punks. All they want to do is Tweet, facebook, text, eat junk food, play video games and run their mouths. Of course not all kids, but walk with me one day at the local high school and you'll see exactly what I'm saying.

Well i work in a high school and i can say your stereotyping pretty hard. Kids are either motivated to work hard or their not, games are just the innate object you associate with unmotivated kids.

Do guns not get bashed every time some nut goes shooting up a place? this isnt any different, people want to put the blame on innate objects that cant fight back. Its easier for the Board Of EDU and parents to make all the excuses in the world, when it comes down to it, their just not ready to blame themselves.

The irony is I swear you once made a thread asking what a troll is, and as it turns out you're the biggest one this site has.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you have any idea what a troll is.

Posting an opinion different than the rest, even in an "asshole" tone, that people do not like, is not trolling. I notice this especially with "older" people in their 30's and up, who often tend to think anyone who disagrees with them is a "troll"

Honestly you should browse places like 4chan or IGN, and get a little taste of what a "troll" really is.

And by the way, real trolls don't disappear with an IP ban - they proxy, and proxy, and proxy some more, then they go download Vidalia and torment your board from layered proxy IPs until they get bored and move on - at their own leisure.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you have any idea what a troll is.

Posting an opinion different than the rest, even in an "asshole" tone, that people do not like, is not trolling. I notice this especially with "older" people in their 30's and up, who often tend to think anyone who disagrees with them is a "troll"

Honestly you should browse places like 4chan or IGN, and get a little taste of what a "troll" really is.

And by the way, real trolls don't disappear with an IP ban - they proxy, and proxy, and proxy some more, then they go download Vidalia and torment your board from layered proxy IPs until they get bored and move on - at their own leisure.

Rofl If you think attacking a site with ddos and flooding it with garbage spam is the only way to be a troll, you're one of the biggest dumbasses the internet has to offer. Since when did you become the official dictionary of internet meme's? You can't define that shit in stone, and if you tried I would still be right. He was not simply disagreeing. His actions in this thread, in the battlefield 3 thread and even back in the fantasy football threads are all sufficient examples of him looking to create some kind of disruptions where there otherwise would have been none. Theres a difference between looking for a mature debate and simply insulting something. The latter turns you into a troll.

Honestly some child who spends too much time on 4chan can only result in a dumbass. :facepalm:

• Like 1

life is all about moderation..

let games control your life? you will likely become a fat lazy useless blob...

play some video games every now and then.. and I don't see how it COULDN'T improve things like problem solving.. hand eye coordination.. etc.. video games today are complicated.. and require a fair amount of active thinking.. and I would easily say my time being active in "real life" counters any time I sit playing video games.. and I can't see ANYTHING wrong with that.. video games are actually really fun..

Moderation = Owning a block Glock because out of all your guns, you need to have at least 1 so you are not called a blindfolded hater who can't see the beauty of the glock.

:sarcastichand:

lol I actually have TWO.. Glocks.. and I hope one day to have enough guns that I can make comments such as "out of ALL my guns" :icon_mrgreen:

Rofl If you think attacking a site with ddos and flooding it with garbage spam is the only way to be a troll, you're one of the biggest dumbasses the internet has to offer. Since when did you become the official dictionary of internet meme's? You can't define that shit in stone, and if you tried I would still be right. He was not simply disagreeing. His actions in this thread, in the battlefield 3 thread and even back in the fantasy football threads are all sufficient examples of him looking to create some kind of disruptions where there otherwise would have been none. Theres a difference between looking for a mature debate and simply insulting something. The latter turns you into a troll.

Honestly some child who spends too much time on 4chan can only result in a dumbass. :facepalm:

The thing is Wave, some of us have met him in real life and found him to be funny and real hoot.

That's is the thing about he "events and meetups" forum. you meet people, not trolls.