this_is_nascar

Suggest a .9MM Handgun

I'm in the market for a new .9mm handgun. It will never be carried, except to and from the range to become proficient in its use. It will sit and stay on my nightstand, in hopes I'll never need to use it unexpectedly. It must be capable of 15-rounds in the mag (the NJ limit, I believe). It must be a .9mm, so please please please please, don't suggest a .45 ACP or a .40 or a whatever. Thanks in advance.

So far, it appears the Glock 19 (Gen 3, as the Gen 4 is riddled with issues) and the Sig P226/P226 DAK fit the bill as it relates to rounds-capacity, however I have no experience with either one. There must be others, but I'm not really up on the subject.

Arcus 98DA.

BTW there's no period in front of the 9 as metric measurements are whole numbers, unlike the caliber designations. Unless of course you're looking for a gun that shoots projectiles with the circumference of replacement lead in auto pencils. :)

So far, it appears the Glock 19 (Gen 3, as the Gen 4 is riddled with issues)

i beg to differ. i have a G19_Gen4 and NO issues or even a hiccup.

its got atleast 1500-2K rounds thru it!

maybe mine wasnt made on a Monday or Friday! :icon_mrgreen:

I'd suggest the S+W M&P. Great gun.

Get the 15 round 9mm magazines from GandRtactical.com

Or get the Glock 19.

I have the M&P 45 for and I'm getting a 9mm soon. Think I've narrowed it down to the M&P9, Glock 19 Gen 4 or a Beretta 92FS.

A nightstand gun should be a full size.

A nightstand gun should be one that always fires. Every. Single. Time. No malfs, ever.

All the guns I've seen here are not junk. Only the Glock gen 3 G19 or an HK P30/P2000 are absolutely certain not to malfunction at an inopportune time.

Go with the Glock, your wallet will thank you.

Ok how about a S&W 500?? :icon_mrgreen:

What huge issues are there with the G 19? Gen 3, mine has to have over 5k through her and not a hiccup, and while many new guns may have issues at the beginning of the production run they get worked out and I really can't think of too many issues even with the Gen 4's, at least nothing that would shy me away from them.

I will say, it doesn't matter what any of us suggest, person X make shoot Glock like there no tomorrow then pick up a Sig and not hit the side of the barn, not really but you see what I am saying. Shoot all of the guns you are thinking about and add in some of the suggested ones and make your decision after that. SS is good with trying out guns and they still have the deal that you can rent the caliber and not just 1 gun so you can try different ones out, don't forget to mention your a member of the forum for a discount of ammo, rental and range time.

Another thing is you said another gun, assuming you already have some and shoot, you might consider coming by some of the matches at OB, CJ or SG and meet some of the folks, many of us have the guns your looking at and I know I am not against letting a forum member try out any of my guns, a couple bucks for ammo goes a long way around here with some of us.

I beg to differ regarding the gen 4 glock 19. Mine has easily 1200 rounds through it without one single issue. My g17 has 1500 rounds and no issues also.

The sig 226 dak is a pretty good platform. The gun itself is just awesome. The dak trigger is great if you want DA.

My vote is for the CZ75B, I have one and its a great gun.

Is that the stright B model or B SA??

I have wanted to try out both, have been thinking about picking up the 9mm, also if we meet up I'd like to put a few rounds through her, I have a CZ 75 TS in .40 S&W you can try out also.

Here's a nice read for you:

http://www.guns.com/...et-a-glock.html

As I mentioned in another thread, Blocks are not perfect but they are good pistols.:icon_e_wink:

Thanks, that was a good read. I do like the idea of the .22LR conversion kit for the 19 gen-3.

Arcus 98DA.

BTW there's no period in front of the 9 as metric measurements are whole numbers, unlike the caliber designations. Unless of course you're looking for a gun that shoots projectiles with the circumference of replacement lead in auto pencils. :)

Thanks. I appreciate that info. I'm new to all of this and do appreciate getting feedback like this. I want to be sure I'm speaking the right terms, etc.

A nightstand gun should be a full size.

A nightstand gun should be one that always fires. Every. Single. Time. No malfs, ever.

All the guns I've seen here are not junk. Only the Glock gen 3 G19 or an HK P30/P2000 are absolutely certain not to malfunction at an inopportune time.

Go with the Glock, your wallet will thank you.

Yep, my line of thinking is exactly that. It must fire EVERY SINGLE time. It must be easy to use for both my wife and I. Everything I've been reading points to the 19 gen-3.

This is very simple. Handle or shoot as many pistols as you can that fit your criteria as well as your ergonomics. The fit of the gun in your hand and how it shoots for you are the most important criteria. As long as you buy any of the major manufacturer's pistols you should not have any QC issues.

To the other responders, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it and keep it coming. As it relates to the 19 gen-4 issues, I'm only repeating what I've read and heard time and time again on the forums and on You Tube. The gen-4 of the Glock 19 has issues with the spring and ejectors (think I have that term right). The spring was recalled on earlier ones or something along those lines. Also the ejectors were causing all types of issues, from stuck casings, to getting hit in the forehead with these hot empty casings. In addition, probably only an issue when carried against the skin, was the gen-4 stippling was to aggressive for many.

Like I said, I've read next to NO reliability issues with the gen-3, but have read many with the gen-4. Have they been fixed? Maybe, I don't know. I'd not want to purchase a gen-4 and find out that the one I got has these issues, needed to be recalled, etc. Apparently, these issues occur after the 1st several hundred rounds are fired. If/when I need this nightstand gun to work, I want 15-rounds that are pretty much guaranteed to go bang when I pull the trigger and not have hot casings hitting me in the face, as reported with these bad gen-4s.

I've read next to ZERO issues with the Glock 19 Gen-3, so if I go the Glock 19 route, it's the Gen-3 I'll be looking to purchase. I've not read of any upgrades to the Gen-4 that I feel I'd be missing in the Gen-3. Again, that's for all the feedback everyone. It's appreciated.

My nightstand gun was an Hk P30L, until I sold it. Then a Sig P226, until I sold it. =P Right now there is an AR, and an east german Makarov.

I still have a bit of a hesitation to have striker fired gun on the nightstand, especially if there is work done to them to lighten the trigger, for that reason I would go Hk P30L, or Sig P226. Every round they went bang. a CZ 75 is also good, once broken in.

Other option for me right now is a Baby Eagle 45, however as it is still practically new, the springs are not fully in yet, although I am sure a hotter load will function 100%.

If you prefer a safety and a DA/SA trigger:

Beretta M9 Commercial (not 92fs, 92a1, or Inox), Full Size Iconic American 15rd 9mm pistol

http://www.berettausa.com/products/m9-commercial-9mm-15rds/

If you prefer striker fired and no manual safeties:

Glock G19 Gen 4, Everyone deserves a 19

My nightstand gun was an Hk P30L, until I sold it. Then a Sig P226, until I sold it. =P Right now there is an AR, and an east german Makarov.

I still have a bit of a hesitation to have striker fired gun on the nightstand, especially if there is work done to them to lighten the trigger, for that reason I would go Hk P30L, or Sig P226. Every round they went bang. a CZ 75 is also good, once broken in.

Other option for me right now is a Baby Eagle 45, however as it is still practically new, the springs are not fully in yet, although I am sure a hotter load will function 100%.

Tons of cops carry striker fired guns and they rely on them.

Tons of cops carry striker fired guns and they rely on them.

But most cops also do not have a choice as to what they carry. Bureacrats make decisions about what guns the department will buy.

Furthermore, I did not state striker fired guns are unreliable. I stated they can be finicky, especially if there was trigger work done to them. In any case, I have seen more light primer strikes and other problems on striker fired guns as opposed to a da/sa or sao hammer gun.

Just my humble opinion.

Furthermore... just to qualify this a tad more...

I have now about 5k rounds through my tanfo = 0 failures to go bang besides a death jam on a bad case.

About 10k through my Smith 1911 9mm, 0 failures to go bang.

My XD with about 500 rounds through, and Glock 37 with around 200 rounds through it had about 15 fail to go bang.

I've got the springfield XD9 and love it. Holds 15 rounds, but doesn't come with the 15 round magazines MOST of the time. You may be able to work something with a dealer. I have the ProMags and they work great and springfield also makes the 15 round mags and those are obviously great too. Love the XD9, easy to take apart to clean, fires great, never had a malfunction. However, I do not like some crazy number of 2K, 3K rounds down range. YET haha

I've got the springfield XD9 and love it. Holds 15 rounds, but doesn't come with the 15 round magazines MOST of the time. You may be able to work something with a dealer. I have the ProMags and they work great and springfield also makes the 15 round mags and those are obviously great too. Love the XD9, easy to take apart to clean, fires great, never had a malfunction. However, I do not like some crazy number of 2K, 3K rounds down range. YET haha

2 to 3k is not crazy numbers... just a busy weekend. =P

XD is a great gun. Very ergonomic and my second choice in a striker fired gun after the M&P.

I will soon have a Walther PPQ that will be my production division gun and will see plenty of action.

Look at the Hk P30L and Hk 45 torture test.... over 90k rounds, and went bang every time, with an average of 5 to 10k rounds between cleanings.

Maks.

In reference to CZ break in. Will buy a 75b quite soon and I am quite interested in initial cleaning and proper break in. can you elaborate if it's not too much trouble?