Duppie

I want a shotgun!

It's time..... I have decided on the CZ75b for the range and now to round out the arsenal for the near future, I want a shotgun!

I've shot the Mossberg 500 and like it but what other options are available to me? Not interested in a over/under or side by side and a single shot seems like a waste of time,also not into the Mall Ninja/black gun/tactical scene but still want something I can protect the loved ones,kill cans and zombies and still function as a SHTF firearm. Ammo?

I have searched the NJGF archives but would be interested in recent opinions.

Thanks.

NEF Pardner Protector is $180 at dick's this week.

Never heard of them, but the price seems very attractive, I see the Remington express is also on sale for $270.00.

Personally, I would get something reputable..Mossberg or Remington.

Though Stoeger makes a pretty good semi for cheap $$. That would be good for clays and HD. What ever you get, make sure you can get different size barrels to use it for multiple purposes.

• Like 2

What ever you get, make sure you can get different size barrels to use it for multiple purposes.

And for the multiple barrel reasons stay with either the mossberg 500 or the remington 870

Mossberg has made a myriad of barrels for their 500 including a line launching barrel from ship to ship...

http://web.archive.org/web/20080414105241/http://www.mossberg.com/manuals/LineLauncher.pdf

Never heard of them, but the price seems very attractive, I see the Remington express is also on sale for $270.00.

Pardner's are chinese made Remington 870s with less plastic and more steel. They have some issues with dimensioning and tolerancing and may need some polishing for smooth operation. They're good if you want a cheap economical shotgun, but I would get a name brand.

And for the multiple barrel reasons stay with either the mossberg 500 or the remington 870

Mossberg has made a myriad of barrels for their 500 including a line launching barrel from ship to ship...

http://web.archive.o...ineLauncher.pdf

Good to know in the event I need to board a Somali pirate vessel in the South River to rescue my loved ones and collection of Faro albums....

I have thought of getting rid of my mossberg 500 so many times but I come back to the fact that its like an old reliable gun. I will admit that I have more shotguns than I ever thought I would ever have.

My next shotgun is gonna be a 20ga remmy 1100 or something along those lines. Maybe a 20ga Beretta.

I have thought of getting rid of my mossberg 500 so many times but I come back to the fact that its like an old reliable gun. I will admit that I have more shotguns than I ever thought I would ever have.

My next shotgun is gonna be a 20ga remmy 1100 or something along those lines. Maybe a 20ga Beretta.

If by chance you were to ever sell your Mossberg I would hope you would IM me. I am attracted to a firearm that is already broken in and has acquired a history.

I would really consider getting yourself a "household name" brand shotgun, just as others have said. You can get yourself a used 870 Express Magnum for about $100 more than the NEF brand new. I'd much rather put my life in the hands of a used 870 than a new Chinese copy.

I would really consider getting yourself a "household name" brand shotgun, just as others have said. You can get yourself a used 870 Express Magnum for about $100 more than the NEF brand new. I'd much rather put my life in the hands of a used 870 than a new Chinese copy.

Agreed.

My vote is the Remmy 870. Always felt better to me than the Mossberg.

Funny how the Mossberg has always fealt better to me. The safety and the action lock are better positioned for me on the Mossberg.

Yup

or Mossberg or Benelli

and keep it simple, don't need much to make it work right

If you're entertaining used guns, you can also include the Ithaca 37 in the mix with the Mossberg and the Remington.

Mossbergs go for less on the auctions fyi. Mossberg also made some private label shotguns. Mine is actually a "New Haven by Mossberg 600AT" which is identical in all respects that matter (ie for barrels and stocks).

or Mossberg or Benelli

Either one of those work well too, as well as some of the other brands. I personally don't like the Mossbergs as far as ergonomics go, but I'd certainly trust them for reliability. I wasn't trying to lead towards Remington, just using them as an example. I know some people on here have the NEF's, but I simply just wouldn't trust a Chinese knock-off.

If you're entertaining used guns, you can also include the Ithaca 37 in the mix with the Mossberg and the Remington.

Mossbergs go for less on the auctions fyi. Mossberg also made some private label shotguns. Mine is actually a "New Haven by Mossberg 600AT" which is identical in all respects that matter (ie for barrels and stocks).

After some investigation I'm leaning to either the Rem or Moss simply because of reputation and available accessories, I would really like the Moss 500 package with the 2 or 3 interchangeable barrels but I understand it's somewhat rare and pricy. thoughts?

After some investigation I'm leaning to either the Rem or Moss simply because of reputation and available accessories, I would really like the Moss 500 package with the 2 or 3 interchangeable barrels but I understand it's somewhat rare and pricy. thoughts?

Pick the barrels up as you go though the two barrel combo at Dick's is a really good deal. I found a rifled slug barrel with cantilever scope mount on NJHunter and believe it or not a muzzleloader barrel here on NJGF about a year ago.

Remington 870 vs. Mossberg 500 is a frequent discussion on the web. We had a thread on that subject here not long ago. You might want to check out that discussion. Here is a copy of what I posted on that thread:

Ah, the eternal shotgun question. There are discussions of this all over the web. You can do a search to read all the opinions, but ultimately you might as well just flip a coin, because there is not much to choose between them. I agonized over this for awhile, and ended up with the Mossberg 500 Persuader. This one:

http://www.mossberg....0/NEW/50577.jpg

I like the no-nonsense look of it, but the R870 looks almost exactly the same.

Remington 870 vs. Mossberg 500 is a frequent discussion on the web. We had a thread on that subject here not long ago. You might want to check out that discussion. Here is a copy of what I posted on that thread:

Ah, the eternal shotgun question. There are discussions of this all over the web. You can do a search to read all the opinions, but ultimately you might as well just flip a coin, because there is not much to choose between them. I agonized over this for awhile, and ended up with the Mossberg 500 Persuader. This one:

http://www.mossberg....0/NEW/50577.jpg

I like the no-nonsense look of it, but the R870 looks almost exactly the same.

I read that tread before posting but have recently seen the buzz about the Banellis and some Moss packages so I figured I'd ask. Now in reference to ammo...defensive/offensive/rubber/bean bag...what's the best load for HD and in what sequence?

Forgot to mention that the barrel on that Mossberg #50577 model is short (18 1/2", I believe) and perfect for HD or SHTF. It is my understanding that one can easily obtain and switch barrels if you wanted to start shooting clays or doing some hunting with it. Sounds like you've done some research, so you're probably already aware of that.

BTW, there was also a recent discussion here of what shotgun ammo to use for HD:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/25155-best-shotgun-ammo-for-home-defense/

Hope that helps.

If you think you are going to hunt with the Mossberg buy the one with the long barrel and buy the 18.5" HD barrel second. The cost of the the 18.5 inch barrel is 100 bucks vs buying a longer barrel for hunting at at least 200. I wish I did that.

I like #1 or #3 buck for HD.

Is it wise to load so called non lethal loads before actually firing the buck shot? sort of a warning if you will?