Hey everyone. New handgun owner here but been shooting a lot the past 6 years. Anyway I'm definitely interested in USPSA but have a couple questions. First is I came across the list of approved handguns for production and I'm not sure if mine is on there. I have the M&P 40 Pro 4.25" barrel. I saw a couple other M&P's there but not this one and heard the 5" hasn't been submitted for approval yet. My other question is what holster would you recommend for my M&P? I have done some research but it seems there are a loooooot of options when it comes to holsters (DOH, fobus, bladetech.....). All help appreciated!!!

I shoot an M&P 40 in limited without any problem. I chose to put an apex trigger into it, but the stock trigger is one of the best out there from a polymer gun. I also use a Bladetech holster and mag pouches.

Another TIP-As silly as it sounds put an extra 50 or 75 dollars aside for a very good gun belt. Even if you choose a great holster like the Bladetech, you can be let down if your belt isn't up to par. I use a Bianchi inner and outer belt that is SUPER stiff and works great. When you are drawing you want all the force you put on the gun to be used to clear it out of the holster. If your belt isn't rigid enough, you will actually find yourself moving the belt and holster around before the gun starts to move from the holster.

Good stuff henrym! Now I have gone to blade techs site and I feel like I'm starting all over again. I have no idea what I'm looking for. Once I even picked a random holster it gave options like tek lok or loop and stuff. Yup, definitely not quite sure what each is. Now I am doing some research and a lot of people say blade tech and that's it and never specify which one. Also when it comes to mag pouches I'm assuming people go with two double mag pouches or am I wrong?

Bladetech IDPA Pak will be a good starter for you. Comes with the holster and double mag pouch.

I personally use a BlackHawk SERPA holster and 2 5.11 (Rebranded bladetech) double mag holders.

Some people say that the SERPA is dangerous - but you just need to practice with that and use common sense. You don't curl your finger in to hit the release - you lay it flat so that it indexes the frame of the pistol when you unholster.

Good stuff henrym! Now I have gone to blade techs site and I feel like I'm starting all over again. I have no idea what I'm looking for. Once I even picked a random holster it gave options like tek lok or loop and stuff. Yup, definitely not quite sure what each is. Now I am doing some research and a lot of people say blade tech and that's it and never specify which one. Also when it comes to mag pouches I'm assuming people go with two double mag pouches or am I wrong?

The bladetech with teklok can make things easier so if price is the same, get the tek lok. You can just lock it in place while holding the belt instead of looping it in. In regards to the mag pouch, it's really a personal option but if you decide to try another division like Limited or Limited 10 with your M&P 40, then I would suggest you get the single mag pouches to give you more flexibility in positioning them around a belt.

Ryan

I don't think USPSA has made a decision on the "production" aspect of the Pro yet. Not sure though.

I got a 5.11 belt on ebay for $25. I wanted a separate belt so I didn't scratch my "normal" belts, but with good old fleabay you can get a full on duty belt with the internal stiffener for less than a regular belt.

The M&P is a "rush" item at Blade Tech and Comp Tac both, I think. One week turnaround.

Wow I used a lot of quotes in that post...

You can't go wrong with a Double Alpha, Cr Speed, or the Bianchi belt. Just pick one and don't look back.

Same with the holster. However I wouldn't want a Serpa. I don't feel like hitting the button to release it. It's really not a huge deal but you aren't a cop so you don't have to worry about anyone trying to grab your gun at a shooting match. Therefore you don't need a holster with retention. You want less to do to draw your gun, not more.

I suggest Bladetech with the Dropped and Offset (DOH). Comptach is nice as well, not sure if they have a DOH for it though.

The more research you do, the more opinions you will get, and you know what they say about opinions.

Yeah so some more looking around revealed that the M&P 40 pro is a no go for production in neither the 4.25 or FS 5" barrel.

Seriously? I was looking into getting the M&P 40 pro in 5" for Production and once in awhile slap a magwell on, load to 15 and shoot limited. Arggggg

Couldn't you just use it for Limited or Limited 10 then. You should be able to make major power factor too. No such thing as major in production. As far as a holster I use a Blackhawk serpa, it's not ideal but I shoot lefty and was having a hard time finding a holster that wasn't an arm and a leg. I didn't want to spend a lot because I wasn't sure if I was going to like shooting USPSA. I really enjoy it though so i'll eventually upgrade. Serpa doesn't bother me right now at my skill level anyway.

I personally would go with comp-tac. Similar and on par to blade-tech but much faster production/delivery.

Plenty of third party vendors have bladetech gear ready to be delivered to your door when you order. Midway, Shooters Connection...

Couldn't you just use it for Limited or Limited 10 then. You should be able to make major power factor too. No such thing as major in production. As far as a holster I use a Blackhawk serpa, it's not ideal but I shoot lefty and was having a hard time finding a holster that wasn't an arm and a leg. I didn't want to spend a lot because I wasn't sure if I was going to like shooting USPSA. I really enjoy it though so i'll eventually upgrade. Serpa doesn't bother me right now at my skill level anyway.

Yeah I'm thinking I'm going to get the serpa mainly because I get half off everything blackhawk. Also I plan on doing this just for fun and don't need the best gear. If I end up loving it and want to devote more time to it then I'll upgrade.

I have both and prefer the Blackhawk Serpa over the Bladetech for my M&P40. When you draw your pistol, your index finger is naturally on the release lever and there's no resistance in pulling it out. Nothing wrong with the Bladetech, but I find that I'm faster with the Serpa. If you can get a discount on the Blackhawk, that's an added bonus.

I have both and prefer the Blackhawk Serpa over the Bladetech for my M&P40. When you draw your pistol, your index finger is naturally on the release lever and there's no resistance in pulling it out. Nothing wrong with the Bladetech, but I find that I'm faster with the Serpa. If you can get a discount on the Blackhawk, that's an added bonus.

Yeah I ended up getting the serpa holster and blackhawk single mag pouches. But now there's an even bigger hiccup in my whole plan. I was planning on shooting production but my gun is not on the production approved list. I have the M&P 40 pro and S&W has yet to submit the paperwork to uspsa to get it on the approved list. I know I can shoot limited and limited 10 but I was really hoping to start at production. Looks like I am going to have to give S&W a call and see what's going on.

Yeah I ended up getting the serpa holster and blackhawk single mag pouches. But now there's an even bigger hiccup in my whole plan. I was planning on shooting production but my gun is not on the production approved list. I have the M&P 40 pro and S&W has yet to submit the paperwork to uspsa to get it on the approved list. I know I can shoot limited and limited 10 but I was really hoping to start at production. Looks like I am going to have to give S&W a call and see what's going on.

For now then I would shoot L10. It will give you the same feel as production, only being able to load ten rounds, and if you know the weight of the bullet and its velocity you can have the advantage of shooting major power factor.

You may be better off shooting Limited or L/10 and scoring Major PF anyway, but is the gun it self SA or DA/SA, if it's DA/SA at local matches you may be able to shoot production but not a 100% on this. I'm interested in seeing what responses follow about this.

You may be better off shooting Limited or L/10 and scoring Major PF anyway, but is the gun it self SA or DA/SA, if it's DA/SA at local matches you may be able to shoot production but not a 100% on this. I'm interested in seeing what responses follow about this.

The M&P is a double action only gun and even that's debated a bit. I guess technically its safe action like the glock. I just want to shoot some local matches in production for fun but if it's not on the production list I guess I'll be shooting L or L10.

The M&P is a double action only gun and even that's debated a bit. I guess technically its safe action like the glock. I just want to shoot some local matches in production for fun but if it's not on the production list I guess I'll be shooting L or L10.

You would have problem if it was a SAO, but DA/SA, DAO is good..Production away man..

Here are the S&W List:

1006 (38 oz.), 1066 (38.5 oz.), 39 (26.5 oz.), 3913 (25 oz.), 3913L (25 oz.), 3913TSW (24.8 oz.), 3914 (25 oz.), 3953 (24.8 oz.), 3953STSW (24.8 oz.), 4006 (38.5 oz.), 4013TSW (37.8 oz.), 4043 (30 oz.), 4046 (37.8 oz.), 4053TSW (26.7 oz.), 410 (28.5 oz.), 439 (30 oz.), 4506 (40.5 oz.), 4513TSW (28.6 oz.), 4553TSW (28.6 oz.), 4566 (39.1 oz.), 457 (29 oz.), 4586 (39.1 oz.), 59 (27 oz.), 5904 (26.5 oz.), 5906 DA/SA (37.5 oz.), 5946 (39.5 oz.), 659 (39.5 oz.), 669 (26 oz.), 6906 (26.5 oz.), 6946 (26.5 oz.), 908 (24 oz.), 910 (28 oz.), M&P 357 Sig Compact 3" (24.7 oz.), M&P 357Sig 4" (28.7 oz.), M&P 40 4" (27.5 oz.), M&P 40 Compact 3" (24.4 oz.), M&P 45 4" (27.9 oz.), M&P 45 Compact 3" (27.3 oz.), M&P 45 Full Size (28.9 oz.), M&P 9 Compact 3" (24.2 oz.), M&P 9L 5" 9mm (28.2 oz.), M&P 9mm 4" (27.2 oz.), M&P Pro series 5" 9mm (29.2 oz.), Sigma models Compact SW9V (26 oz.), SW40C (26 oz.), SW40F (26 oz.), SW40V (24.4 oz.), SW40VE (24.4 oz.), SW99 9, 40 & 45 (26 oz.), SW9C (25 oz.), SW9F (26 oz.), SW9M (18 oz.), SW9VE (24.7 oz.)

(Any DAO or DA/SA revolver with a barrel length of up to 8.5" is approved)

Yup thats the list I referenced and my M&P isn't on it. I've still been searching for answers on that it seems like it's close to making the production list. And I got the response back from Atlanta arms with their price list. Looks like I'll be getting a case of that soon. Thanks for that reference!

Yup thats the list I referenced and my M&P isn't on it. I've still been searching for answers on that it seems like it's close to making the production list. And I got the response back from Atlanta arms with their price list. Looks like I'll be getting a case of that soon. Thanks for that reference!

I hear you about it not being on the list, but there is the note about DA/SA and DAO being allowed, plus any of the local matches and I'd bet you would not be turned away from shooting it in Production, nut what's the worst that can happen anyway, Limited, or L10. Now a higher level match it may be an issue.

Oh and glad you liked the pricing on the AA ammo, it's some nice stuff.