Luke_WO

1911 Knockoffs

So I only own shotguns and rifles. Handguns never really did it for me. But I've been thinking lately that I should get at least one handgun, just to have some variety, and it's more convenient to use for home defense than one of my shotguns. I haven't even gone to apply for my pistol permits yet, but I'm trying to get ahead in the game.

I'm looking into the 1911. It's such an American classic. I feel like if I were to get a handgun, it would be hard for me to go with anything else.

Thing is, I'm not real keen on blowing a grand on a handgun, especially since I won't be using it for all that much. Just some occasional range shooting and also as a "just in case" kind of gun. So I was thinking about getting some kind of 1911 that doesn't come from the classic, traditional manufacturer, like Colt.

Just as an example, I came across this listing on CheaperThanDirt. It says it's a 1911 but it's obviously some kind of knockoff at that price. In your guys' opinion, is there a real reason why it costs so much less? Is the gun THAT much worse than the real thing? Any explanations, thoughts, or advice you guys have would be great.

What gun did you see at CTD? As far a reasonable 1911's they are out there, not only in the used market but factory new. There are a few that have been talked about here, I'll let the others who actually own them to chime in but you can get them for well under a grand.

From what I understand one of the best values if you're looking to buy a cheap 1911 is the RIA Tactical.

I had a chance to shoot one stock out of the box and it was on par trigger wise with my buddies kimber. Since then the gun had some work done to it and its only gotten better.

1911's are like cars. They all can get you from point A to point B. Some just do it with more style.

If you get a basic 1911 you will be getting the basic design of a handgun that was created over 100 years ago. It will probably shoot OK and might function OK. Later on if you decide to keep it then you can customize it many, many, many different ways to suit your shooting style and tastes.

Ok I just went through this exercise. And I of course handled it in possibly the most damaging and immature way possible. I bought a RIA Tactical in Matte Nickel and then of course I still had some $$$ left over so I went ahead and found a great deal on a SIG TACOPS.

Here is what I was looking for at first. I wanted as close to the original JMB design as possible, no FPS, with some modern enhancements that add to reliability (beveled ejection port etc etc.). I also required good sights, ambi safety as I am a lefty, a standard guide rod at a decent price. I have always been pissed that I passed on the early RIAs back when they could be had for $289 at gunshows, but seeing one slice a fellow shoppers thumb-forefinger webbing put me off a little too much. So I went ahead and popped for the RIA. I got the best deal through PK90.

Then I wanted to find a good, combat ready .45 with the same requirements, except I was willing to allow a FPS, but it must have a min of MIM parts in it. This guns was going to have a targeted budget of $1000. After looking at Kimbers, Springfield, Dan Wesson and Colts I shot a SIG ULTRA last week and instantly went and shopped around, unfortunately I got such a great deal on a SIG TACOPS through a GB auction that I did not use one of the LGS. The TACOPS comes with all the features I required, plus 4 mags, a high cut frame under the trigger guard, novak night sites, beveled magwell and great EZ grips. The SIG is shipped with two MIM parts, Slide stop and Mag Release. Thats it. Both are easily replaceable for about $40.

My intentions are to run a Low Priced versus Medium Priced 1911 shoot off and keep a running blog of the results. I intentionally did not want to include a true high end gun (TRP, Les Baer or Wilson) in this example because you are not going to choose either of these guns if your shoppin for one of those. But you might push your finances a little to buy the SIG if your shopping the RIA, or you might want to save some bucks from the SIG by purchasing the RIA. My hope is to be able to give a good picture of tthe possibillities

because in my opinion this is one of the most commonly asked questions on gunboards.

Now I am awaiting my PPPS and to take delivery of the guns. I will pick up the RIA first most likely and give an initial range report using standard (Federal, Winchester, Fiocchi or Sellier&Bellot) 230gr ball, followed by an initial range report of the SIG using same ammo. My plan is to then do a side by side shoot, an IDPA shoot with both and finally a test with SD ammo (Remington Golden Saber 185 +P or Federal).

I will post as many results and or shooting experiences as possible, good bad or ugly.

Was looking into the Para USA GI Expert .45 ACP. Looks real nice, with good reviews, and a real reasonable price. Anyone own one or ever shot one?

Had one, great shooter. Sold it to a forum member here. Great base gun that could do it all.

I saw a 1911 this past weekend at Ramsey Outdoor while getting my wife fitted for her first handgun. It was a Sig and only 399, now I don't know too much about handguns but I knew Sigs are pretty up there in price. Upon further inspection I noticed it was manufactured in Germany. The gun was very nice looking, good fit and finish from what I saw, plus it felt good in my hand. It was OD green and had wooden grips that read US on each side sort of etched or engraved. Also, saw some good reviews on the web and some reffered to it as one of the most underrated guns of 2011. I had to pass on it, though. Such an American classic which was issued to our soldiers during WWII to fight against Germans mainly. I just didn't feel comfortable, I felt like I'd be doing a disservice to the men and women who fought in that war. I don't mean to offend anyone but it just didn't feel right, I'd much rather purchase one made in the USA. Ruger's 1911 is really nice and can be had for under 700 bucks if you know where to look.

I saw a 1911 this past weekend at Ramsey Outdoor while getting my wife fitted for her first handgun. It was a Sig and only 399, now I don't know too much about handguns but I knew Sigs are pretty up there in price. Upon further inspection I noticed it was manufactured in Germany. The gun was very nice looking, good fit and finish from what I saw, plus it felt good in my hand. It was OD green and had wooden grips that read US on each side sort of etched or engraved. Also, saw some good reviews on the web and some reffered to it as one of the most underrated guns of 2011. I had to pass on it, though. Such an American classic which was issued to our soldiers during WWII to fight against Germans mainly. I just didn't feel comfortable, I felt like I'd be doing a disservice to the men and women who fought in that war. I don't mean to offend anyone but it just didn't feel right, I'd much rather purchase one made in the USA. Ruger's 1911 is really nice and can be had for under 700 bucks if you know where to look.

This is the one you probably saw:

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-22lr-olive-drab.aspx

1911-OD-Hero-Bty.jpg

It's a .22LR 1911, hence the low price. $400 is about right for the going rate.

This is the one you probably saw:

http://www.sigsauer....olive-drab.aspx

1911-OD-Hero-Bty.jpg

It's a .22LR 1911, hence the low price. $400 is about right for the going rate.

Remember the Sig and GSG are the same gun, just different branding, and mags labeled for the Sig are more expensive than the GSG ons that are the same also.