tony357

Cleaned the kimber in ultrasonic tank.

Have over 1100 rounds through the kimber after last night.

Thinned the front site tonight from .140 to .060 with the extra dirt from grinding the front site i decided to just put it in the ultrasonic tank and blow it dry afterwards. I put it in for 10 mins.

nice and clean all the way down inside it was pretty dirty inside the frame.

I did not put the recoil spring or firing pin spring in the tank.

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

008.jpg

001-4.jpg

Looks great Tony, after seeing how nice and clean it got all the parts I just might have to pick up one of them ultrasonic cleaners, not for normal cleaning but that once a year full tear-down cleaning. I can even play it off as I am getting something the OL can use for her Jewelry. :icon_mrgreen:

Looks great Tony, after seeing how nice and clean it got all the parts I just might have to pick up one of them ultrasonic cleaners, not for normal cleaning but that once a year full tear-down cleaning. I can even play it off as I am getting something the OL can use for her Jewelry. :icon_mrgreen:

Definatly can..

I use this one to clean carbs..And guns..

The one i have has come down in price last time they advertised it on the site was 1800.00 and the basket is 100.00 when i purchased it 3 years ago it was 2200.00

The smaller ones are much cheaper couple hundred and go up from their.

omegasonics is top of the line so they are more money than other machines but they do work..

I've used this one to clean my all stainless Kimber as well Ebay link, we have one at work for the same reason as Tony, it's cleans carbs like crazy. spring/summer this thing is working for days on end and I've had no problems with it.

I use Spray 9, it's a marine cleaner. Also, Purple Power (home depot, lowes, ect.) works awesome. This one is heated, so no flammable liquids, plus its electric, so I wouldn't use any flammable liquids anyway

Came out excellent. What type of cleaning solution did you use?

Harbor freight has a few smaller inexpensive ultrasonic units. I just bought one for $40. I'm sure not as good as the big commercial units, but they might work. I haven't used it for gun parts yet but will do when I get a chance.

Maybe after this weekend as I hope to dirty up a gun or two.

I use (omegaclean) it has proetors in the soap to inhibit rust and is aluminium safe..you can put anything in the solution and it will not hurt it..

don mentioned purple power which you need to be carfull with it erodes some plastics and dose not have rust inhibitors..

http://www.omegasonics.com/industrial-washers/soaps.shtml

Make sure you oil the hell out of it also i hear kimbers have a real rust problem

Any gun that is not taken care of will rust..I have read about rusted barrels in kimbers, their barrels are in the white so you need to properly maintain the gun.

=I have read about rusted barrels in kimbers, their barrels are in the white so you need to properly maintain the gun.

What does "in the white" mean?

I'd like to know how that Harbor Freight unit works.

I think I'm going to try a water/Ballistol mixture for ultrasonic cleaning. I use this for flushing guns after shooting corrosive. Since ballistol emulsifies with water, it should protect from rust while offering some cleaning capabilities.

Water / Moisture is the issue and as Tony does you have to blow them out with compressed air. A good idea would be to set up a pan w/ WD40(water displacing oil 40) and this will remove all moisture. just drop the parts in for awhile.

Nice Unit Tony. They are pricy for a hobbiest. I saw the Crest Ultrasonics unit at Mastadon and saw dollar signs.

Water / Moisture is the issue and as Tony does you have to blow them out with compressed air. A good idea would be to set up a pan w/ WD40(water displacing oil 40) and this will remove all moisture. just drop the parts in for awhile.

Nice Unit Tony. They are pricy for a hobbiest. I saw the Crest Ultrasonics unit at Mastadon and saw dollar signs.

They are definatly not cheap but you can find ones for pistols around 200.

yes just blow it off with compressed air, the cleaning solution i use has inhibitors in it.

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. It's the same exact one as the Lyman cleaner but half the price. (http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html)

I use M-Pro 7 in a 1:8 mix with water. You just have to make sure you oil it afterwards. I just used it for the first time to do a full clean of my Glock 22, Beretta 92A1, and AR15. It's not big enough to take the full frame so I just put it in upside down with the grip sticking up. I'm a little more OCD about it and disassemble them nearly completely.

We love ours up at the shop.....they do a great job...... Most folks can't believe how good their actions and pistols come after a 'dunk'....

One of the best investments we have made

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. It's the same exact one as the Lyman cleaner but half the price. (http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html)

I use M-Pro 7 in a 1:8 mix with water. You just have to make sure you oil it afterwards. I just used it for the first time to do a full clean of my Glock 22, Beretta 92A1, and AR15. It's not big enough to take the full frame so I just put it in upside down with the grip sticking up. I'm a little more OCD about it and disassemble them nearly completely.

I'm lazy so would this work if I just field stripped the gun and threw in the parts?