irishpete

Semi - Autos W/o Safety

I am looking at picking up a semi-auto in 40 S&W.

I currently have a px4 storm type G in 9mm.

However, I would like to know what pistols are available without a safety as that's my preference.

Does a decocker work for you? There are many guns that have decockers and no safety. Sigs, Berettas, CZs. etc If your Beretta Storm is like the older Berettas, there is a D type that is decocker only (unlike the FS, which is safety combined with decocker).

Cheap, common, lightweight, plastic = Glock 17/19

Cheap, uncommon, midweight, plastic = Sig 2022

Expensive, somewhat common, plastic, different mag release control = H&K P30/L

Cheap, uncommon, lightweight, plastic, different mag release control = Walther PPQ or P99A/S

Somewhat expensive/expensive (depends on model), somewhat common, metal = Sig P226/229 (or P228 Used)

etc etc. Could also through in the Springfield Armory XD/XDM (has a grip safety) and others into the mix.

(my price band criteria are < $550, $551-$700, $701-900, $900+ as being cheap, somewhat cheap, somewhat expensive, expensive

Plenty of choices, which is more suitable depends on what your other criteria are. e.g. carry, range, price, weight, commonality (more common usually means greater choice of holsters, magazines, aftermarket parts) etc

TheWombat

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions, forgot to add I personally like having the exposed hammer on my autos as well so thats also a consideration.

I am also leaning towards a metal gun as I have the Poly PX4

I would suggest a Sig then, it meets your criteria and they are nice firearms... In the same way you'll hear "everyone should own at least one Glock", I also believe "everyone should own at least one Sig"

:-)

TheWombat

The good news is that there are LOTS of options that satisfy your requirement of .40S&W with no external addresses, almost everyone makes such a beast. The best news is ... there are LOTS of options.

Lets try to narrow it down some more.

Metal or Plastic?

DA or Striker fire?

Compact, Subcompact, Or Standard?

Decocker or No Decocker?

Preferred Magazine capacity?

Color?

Lets try to narrow it down some more.

Metal or Plastic? Metal

DA or Striker fire? Probably DA/SA

Compact, Subcompact, Or Standard? Standard

Decocker or No Decocker? Decocker a plus

Preferred Magazine capacity? As close to 15 as possible

Color? not Pink

For new production guns, your choices aren't that many. Most semi-autos these days are plastic fantastic.

CZ P901/P07 -

CZ 75BD

CZ PCR

Sig 226

Sig 229

Probably some other Sig models I can't think of. I am no Sig guru since I am a lefty and Sig controls don't work for me.

I have a bias because I'm a CZ whore, but the P01 and CZ75BD would be my recommendations to try.

I know Shore Shot has some Sig 226's and 229's, as well as most of the CZ's. You could handle them, and they might even have some Sigs on their rental board for you to test fire.

Lunker has it right. Your options are Sigs and CZ's. Not that they are bad options, but they are limited. You will be hard pressed to get 15rd of .40 in a metal framed gun because there is less room in them. The plastic frames are thinner and allow for higher capacity in a form factor that most people can still grip.

The choice is obvious.... Three internal safeties no external safety. Keep your booger picker off of the bang switch and you can drop it, drive nails with it and it will not AD. You must be a LEO to have it AD, so I've heard....

Thankfully I have never AD'd any of my weapons. I guess it may be due to my OCD and having to check everything multiple times. I guess for now I can be the exception