Mike903

Where to buy a gun safe in central jersey

Hi. First post here. Just got my FID & gun permits. Wanted to buy a gun safe before I buy any firearms/rifles. I'm planning to eventually have a few hand guns & rifles and also keep other valuables/documents in there so I would prefer to buy a large safe. Does anyone know of a good place in central jersey. I'm in fanwood. Also, if anyone can give me some insight to a good a few brands I should stick with I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

http://www.libertysafe.com/

It's where I got mine. The service was excellent and the deliverymen were top notch, and the safe is very high quality. I was very pleased with the whole experience...

Thanks for all the replies. A lot more to buying a gun safe than I thought! Does anyone have any experience with patriot safes? They have pretty decent prices & free delivery.

Yes, I have the Protector model with the LEO package. Nice safe, I like it a lot.

I'll tell you what peoplle told me, buy a safe bigger than you think you will need. I had 2 handguns and one rifle when I bought my safe 2 1/2 years ago.

I am now full and looking at other options.

Yes, I have the Protector model with the LEO package. Nice safe, I like it a lot.

I'll tell you what peoplle told me, buy a safe bigger than you think you will need. I had 2 handguns and one rifle when I bought my safe 2 1/2 years ago.

I am now full and looking at other options.

I have the same one 24 Gun (They are "Generous" with their estimations..LOL..I bought too small. But for all that it's a GREAT safe. They ARE a tad spendy however compared to some others, but the solidity of it is worth it IMO, the fireproofing in Patriots is Concrete, not Drywall as it is in most of the others out there.

I would highly recommend talking to a shop that specializes in safes. They can point you in the right direction and sell you something that will actually fit your needs. The extra $100-$200 you'll spend is well worth it, because whatever you're protecting inside the safe is worth far more than that.

Different safes have different design specifications. For instance, you should not expect a "gun safe" to adequately protect documents and valuables from fire or flood unless it is specifically rated to do that. And even if a gun safe has a fire rating, to protect documents and electronic media, you need a much stronger fire rating than the average gun safe would have because guns are much more heat tolerant than a passport or a hard drive storing 10 years of family photos. IIRC, a fire-safe for documents and electronics has to keep the internal temperature below 250-300 degrees. Fire-rated gun safes are allowed to get considerably hotter.

The most cost effective solution I came up with is have a large gun safe bolted to the framing of your house to protect against theft, with a small fire/flood safe on the top shelf (only $50) to hold your valuables. A full size gun safe with an equivalent fire rating would be extremely expensive.

But if you want to save a couple bucks, Costco is a great place to get a safe. Same for any of the other big-box retailers, as long as you're willing to do your research first so you get something that fits your needs.

Hi. First post here. Just got my FID & gun permits. Wanted to buy a gun safe before I buy any firearms/rifles. I'm planning to eventually have a few hand guns & rifles and also keep other valuables/documents in there so I would prefer to buy a large safe. Does anyone know of a good place in central jersey. I'm in fanwood. Also, if anyone can give me some insight to a good a few brands I should stick with I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Watch the video in this thread : http://njgunforums.c...__fromsearch__1

The video Malua posted is very informative, wish I had the dough for a Ft.Knox.

I suggest anything besides a "Gun locker", but even that is better than nothing.

After reading a bunch of review comments on various brand safes I chose the largest Winchester I could afford for a variety of reasons. 1.) Many, many, reviewers (of all brands researched) wished they had bought a larger safe. 2.) It was the largest safe I could get in that price range. 3.) It has decent reviews.

I like it much better than the ones at Tractor Supply and is noticeably better built.

The Winchester Ranger 45 I bought on Ebay from "q-binder" cost me under $1500 including shipping.

It's rated to hold 51 long guns (thats optomistic), and it has 8 or 9 pockets in the door for pistols and a ton of pockets for "stuff". It is a refrigerator size safe and HEAVY, somewhere in the 900lbs range. I got the mechanical lock because zombies can't turn dials :). Overall for the dough I am satisfied, but after watching the video Malssua has linked, I do have moderate concern about the side wall TH. I would rate this safe a 7 on a scale of 1 - 10.

Ebay no longer has it listed, but here is a google link.

www.google.com/products/catalog?q=winchester+ranger+45&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10855314907415932601&sa=X&ei=E1UcT67iDKPF0QGTrcTcCw&ved=0CFUQ8wIwAQ#ff.

If you buy online, be wary and purchase from some one who has a decent reputation. I paid a few bucks more from that guy on Ebay because they appeared to be more reputable than the the others. Still the shipper was sketchy, they put a 900lb safe on a pine pallet (which was broke) and the box was not complete. Surprisingly the safe was not damaged.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Oh, and BTW. I wish I bought a bigger safe

Now on sale at Costco...

576060LL.jpg

576060LL_v3.jpg$569.99 after $200 OFF

BIGHORN

19ECB Safe

407 lbs. 30 Minute Fire Protection Safe w/Electronic Lock, 19.1 Cubic Ft.

Item # 569035

Meets or exceeds the California Department of Justice requirements for an approved firearm safety device under CA Penal Code section 12087, et seq.

The Bighorn 19ECB will give you unparalleled peace of mind and security against fire & theft at an unbeatable price. This rock solid safe features thick heavy bodied construction, 30-minute/1200 degree fire protection, fine styling and interior, and the industry's best warranty and customer service.

Security Features:

• UL Listed Commercial grade electronic lock
  • Triple hardplate protects from drill attacks
  • Extra thick rigid door for added security against prying attacks. 1.5” thick formed front, 4.75” overall thickness
  • 1” diameter door bolts securely lock the door at 8 different points for maximum protection (8 door bolts total)
  • 3-layer armored hard plate to protect the lock
  • Spring loaded re-locker keeps safe secure if lock is tampered with or removed
  • Quick and simple code entry for access
  • Easy to program entry codes
  • Up to 1,000,000 possible codes
  • Entry codes are stored inside the safe, not in the external keypad
  • Anti-tamper auto lockout after three incorrect code entries
  • Battery accessible from outside
  • User codes are not lost when battery is removed or goes dead or if keypad is damaged or removed
  • Weight: 407 lbs.

Interior Features:

• Fully adjustable and convertible interior allows you to increase or decrease shelf space depending on your own needs
  • Holds up to 24 long guns
  • Interior Dimensions: 57.5" H x 26.75" W x 14.75" D
  • Quality Upholstery
  • Predrilled for anchoring to the floor
  • Predrilled for dehumidifier (not included)
  • External hinge, fully opening door provides greater access than internal hinged designs limited to only 90 degrees of opening

Exterior Features:

• 19.1 Cubic ft.
  • Durable baked-on powder coated finish
  • External dimensions: 59” H x 28”W x 20”D (not including handle)

Fire Protection:

• 30-minute/1200 degree F fire protection
  • Heat activated expanding door seal – helps keep out smoke and heat
  • Fully fire lined, no uncovered hot spot areas like most internal hinge designs

Residential Limited Lifetime Warranty:

• Limited Lifetime Warranty
  • Free repair or replacement in the event of an attempted or actual Burglary attack
  • Free repair or replacement in the event of a Fire
  • Complete Bighorn Warranty

I have the above Big Horn in my Office. They dropped in my driveway for under 600. It took 4 of my gorilla freinds to get it into my office. It's great, I love it. I have 3 small boys and got it more for them and thier inquisitive freinds than anything else. You will NEED some big strong guys to move this thing. I can attest to squished fingers in doorways. I also had a hand truck with air in the tires. Very Helpfull. Best money I've ever spent.

There is no sales tax on Gun Safes in NJ. It's the only gun law I like in NJ.....