Sign in to follow this  
blksheep

Rank Production AR Manufacturers

I own a Bushmaster and Olympic Arms and Instruct on a Colt. Where do you guys rank the different manufacturers?

I like bushy I have owned 2 and picked up the Oly arms in trade and like that also. Our dept. uses the Colt and thats what I instruct on, and its solid.

How do you rank the companies.

I can rank mine like this:

Bushy

Colt

Oly arms

I have never shot S&W or stag etc so I cannot comment on them altough I do have a PSA stripped lower that is well machined but not put together.

Can't speak to this, I've only owned one (LMT and it's great) and fired two (my LMT and a RRA).

However, you may have started a war along the lines of Mac vs. PC, Coke vs. Pepsi, Chevy vs. Ford, Glock vs., well everything...

You get the idea.

And that's not a bad thing - I'm looking forward to reading the rat of the responses.

Colt

Bushy

Olympic

• Like 2

Shane is being too Kind to Oly...I know of an entire batch of Oly barrels that was not parkerized properyl, laid on their sides, which etched the rifling out of half the barrel..i wouldnt have believed it if i hadnt had the damn thing in my hands and Seen it. the other "No Go" for me is DPMS, I don't trust their internals. As for everyone else..everybody has good days and bad days. I've had colts with improperly staked gas keys, and i;ve seen Stags that were absolutely perfect.

Shane is being too Kind to Oly...I know of an entire batch of Oly barrels that was not parkerized properyl, laid on their sides, which etched the rifling out of half the barrel..i wouldnt have believed it if i hadnt had the damn thing in my hands and Seen it. the other "No Go" for me is DPMS, I don't trust their internals. As for everyone else..everybody has good days and bad days. I've had colts with improperly staked gas keys, and i;ve seen Stags that were absolutely perfect.

PM sent

I look at it as there are commercial ARs and there are, for lack of a better term, military ARs. Bushmaster, CMMG, DPMS, Rock River Arms, Stag all get grouped into the former while LMT, Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense get lumped into the latter. In carbine classes, I personally have noticed that the commercial ARs tend to experience more issues than the military ones. Speaking with multiple instructors, they have observed the same. I don't delve too much into the minutae separating brands within a group because I don't think there all that much separating them as far as features/specs are concerned.

for some reason there is apparently a HUGE difference between DPMS in 308 and DPMS in 556 as far as quality goes.. I have no idea why..

A lot of this depends on when they were made.

Back in the 70s and 80s Bushmasters were crap but the present product is pretty good.

I've seen more Colts break down because a lot of my experience is with Colts so I wouldn't say they're bad. You need to base your decision on more than a small sampling.

The three I've had work for me is (in no particular order):

Colt, DPMS (which some hate), and Rock River.

LMT, Noveskse, Colt, BCM, and a few others are in the top tier, where their quality is almost unquestioned.

Stag, PSA, S&W, etc. are mid-tier. Quality, but a bit more decently priced.

Bushmaster isn't even really a brand anymore, they just build ARs out of Remington's Ilion, NY plant. So for all intents and purposes, they are Remington.

I think DPMS has a marked difference between a custom order and a stock item, even in the 5.56 lineup. I've seen plenty of nice ones.

The reality is that given the proliferation of DIY and quality small vendors, that all the ARs on the market have been improving in quality. I think the only place where it is easy to differentiate them are barrel quality, and bolt carrier group. Even then, ther'es more end purpose and personal preference type choices being made there than any absolute quality differentiation.

For me its about the instructor reviews, build quality, materials and testing. Build quality is self explanatory. Materials is fairly self eplanatory, Series of aluminum, process by which it was made(forged, cast, extruded etc etc, ) Barrel steel, Anodising. And then there is the instructor reviews. A conversation I had with Doc Roberts a long time ago on the subject. Readers digest version most AR's will appear to perform well under the minor stresses put on them by the casual weekend range trip. Its the high round count in a short time span, aggressive OCF classes that tend to expose the lesser rifles. And this is where the better materials, better build quality tend to show themselves as being a superior rifle. When a rifle brand that represents 50% of the class is having 90% of the failures over thousands of students and rifles, I think there is valuable data there. Interestingly Im seeing a trend among some instructors toward the SCAR and a few have said the ones they see in classes just arent going down.

for some reason there is apparently a HUGE difference between DPMS in 308 and DPMS in 556 as far as quality goes.. I have no idea why..

I know people that swear by them..i just dont trust their internals..Like I told Old School, in my armorer's course we here shown examples of problems with ALL manufacturers, including the Almighty, Holy Colt (Cue beam of sunlight and heavenly Chorus here). The only 2 manufacturers that were mentioned as having repetitive, consistant issues were Oly and Kitty-cat. Dont get me wrong I have a DPMS slick-side upper...on a dedicated .22. IMO there are enough other companies out there that provide LPK's that steering clear of one particular manufacturer isnt an inconvenience. I wont knock anyone for choosing any particular brand, All i WILL say however, is be aware of reviews, and other's experience, and make your choices accordingly.

I've shot smith and Wesson m&p, a couple diff bushmasters, colt m4 and target, dmps. As far as those brands I liked the feel of the sw and colt. I think the hk and the sig 516 are nice pieces of machinery also. I Handled em but haven't shot em..... Yet

LMT, Noveskse, Colt, BCM, and a few others are in the top tier, where their quality is almost unquestioned.

Stag, PSA, S&W, etc. are mid-tier. Quality, but a bit more decently priced.

Bushmaster isn't even really a brand anymore, they just build ARs out of Remington's Ilion, NY plant. So for all intents and purposes, they are Remington.

Thank you so much for NOT writing "for all intensive purposes"

My least favorite malapropism