Mike903

Best home defense shotgun

Best one in general, or the best one in NJ? Best one in general, in my opinion, is a converted Saiga 12. Pistol gripped, semi-auto, magazine fed shotgun. Throw slugs in that baby, and you're gonna win that fight, hands down. Unfortunately we're not cool enough to be able to own one. In NJ? It depends on what you're comfortable with. What kind of experience do you have with shotguns already? What's your budget? What other things do you plan on using this shotgun for? These are all factors that will come into play. Two of the best platforms will be the Remington 870, and Mossberg 500. They're a great bang for your buck, versatile in that they will fit just about any role you expect it to fill, and both reliable as hell.

• Like 1

I would like to suggest perhaps a double barrel shotgun. I have a Stoeger Coach gun that I use. Not to say a pump action is worse or anything, But these are just my reasons for using a double barrel. If you dont care for a double, I would go with a Mossberg 590a1. Man I want one of those. lol

1. Lite

2. Simple

3. No chance of short stroking.

4. Very intimidating

5. Maneuverable

Best Home Defense Shotty is a 20 ga. Youth Model Pump-Action with Cylinder Bore Choke and 20"-22" barrel and a rubber pad on the stock. Real easy to get around corners, and will feed & handle anything load-wise.

As to loads, most say #4 shot is big enough to knock someone down without going through several pieces of wallboard. An ounce of lead at 1200 FPS is still an ounce of lead to deter the bad guy!

What is your budget? I can't believe I'm saying this, but Ray is spot on for an economical choice. Handle both, and see which one feels better in your hands.

My choice was based on the safety location, they both are fine weapons with a world full of upgrades, like Jon said feel it out. Dry cycle each a couple times using the safety see what works for you, at 350 a pop for each ball park... You can't go wrong

Thanks for the replies. As far as experience, not that much. I have shot them a few times that's about it. I'm a retired PO so I have plenty of experience with handguns- rifles & shotguns not so much. I want one for home defense and in case the SHTF. Price wise, I'm not on much of a budget but in saying that I can't afford a 2,000 benelli either.

Thanks for the replies. As far as experience, not that much. I have shot them a few times that's about it. I'm a retired PO so I have plenty of experience with handguns- rifles & shotguns not so much. I want one for home defense and in case the SHTF. Price wise, I'm not on much of a budget but in saying that I can't afford a 2,000 benelli either.

In that case, it's up to you to decide between a semi-auto or a pump. Some of the popular mid-range semi-autos would be a Remington 11-87 or Mossberg 930. The downsides to a semi would be that they are more expensive, and limited to only 6+1 capacity. You could also look into a Benelli, as they are certainly not $2000 guns. On the flip side you have the pump, in which the popular options are the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590. If you want to spend a little more, you can look into the Benelli as well. I would handle all 3 options for semi and pump, and decide what you want based off your feelings.

Go to the gun shop and test drive a few.

Work the controls.

Play with the safety.

Pick the one that you're comfortable with, knowing that you may someday have to grab it in the dark, while you're half asleep.

Take it to the range and beat the crap out of it until the controls become second nature.

Load it, put it someplace easily accessible if you need it, and pray to God that you never do.

One that works................not to be a wise arse.

reliable, dependable and easy to use in low light conditions.......doesn't get much easier than the Mossberg 500 with thumb safety.

Can operate that gun literally with my eyes closed and is priced right........

What is your budget? I can't believe I'm saying this, but Ray is spot on for an economical choice. Handle both, and see which one feels better in your hands.

It's okay, I'm always spot on.

i was in the same boat... didnt know what to get... etc... i went to the store and bought a savage model 350 pump home defense... i liked it.... was loud when racking it (can be a deterent to a thief in your house) and priced nice at 250 bucks.... a couple weeks later i went to put a deposit on a benelli and i saw a nice remington 887 tactical.... i got it for 450 out the door with tax and nics... its got mounts for lasers/scope/flashlight on top and the side end of the tube... real easy to find safety and release...breacher barrel... the selling point for me was that it shoots 3 1/2 inch shells... i like it and its my new go to gun

Once you get one buy a lot of target loads (nice and cheap) and get very acquainted to loading and using the gun. A case of 250 shells is less than $60 everyday, less than $50 on sale.

After that get some practice with whatever load you plan on using for HD. Buckshot isn't cheap, but birdshot wouldn't be my preferred load for HD, great for practice, plinking, and busting clays!

If you get a pump short-stroke it (like Ray) a few times and learn how much force you need to use to get the gun to operate properly. No problem with a semi-auto in that regards. Anything mechanical can (and at sometime will) give you problems and you need to know what to do when it happens. Not telling you anything you probably don't know already though.

Once you get one buy a lot of target loads (nice and cheap) and get very acquainted to loading and using the gun. A case of 250 shells is less than $60 everyday, less than $50 on sale.

After that get some practice with whatever load you plan on using for HD. Buckshot isn't cheap, but birdshot wouldn't be my preferred load for HD, great for practice, plinking, and busting clays!

If you get a pump short-stroke it (like Ray) a few times and learn how much force you need to use to get the gun to operate properly. No problem with a semi-auto in that regards. Anything mechanical can (and at sometime will) give you problems and you need to know what to do when it happens. Not telling you anything you probably don't know already though.

wha?

Interesting. Is that with an extension and the stock spring?

Well, I am no expert, but from what I have tried researching, which would include extending the tube foreward and then using that extention to attach a light, there is some modification involved that does not include me simply twisting a little knobby.

The magazine has to be removed from the reciever and replaced. Then the barrels have to be bought to tighten into the new extended mag tube. I have done a little investigating into this and then stopped looking so I can't say I ran it to ground, but I think I am on the right track.

The barrels do not have a ring type attachment that would slip over the new mag. They have to go into the very end/tip of the mag tube, which is inches away from the regular placement of the attachment screw and not where the barrels typically have the bolt to attach with. THose are welded in place so you have to buy them special.

Where do you do your shopping? Once in a while I've seen cases of 250 for $60, but never cheaper than that.

Well, I am no expert, but from what I have tried researching, which would include extending the tube foreward and then using that extention to attach a light, there is some modification involved that does not include me simply twisting a little knobby.

The magazine has to be removed from the reciever and replaced. Then the barrels have to be bought to tighten into the new extended mag tube. I have done a little investigating into this and then stopped looking so I can't say I ran it to ground, but I think I am on the right track.

The barrels do not have a ring type attachment that would slip over the new mag. They have to go into the very end/tip of the mag tube, which is inches away from the regular placement of the attachment screw

Gotcha. I was mostly curious, because i haven't run into any issues with the extension on my 590... but, the mag tube is very different on the 590 (and some 500s like the persuaders). Definitely something to think about.