Mindy

First gun for a woman

As a small female , I have to chime in here. I can't picture a grown person , man or woman , having that much trouble with a .9mm , .40 or .45 cal. , at least not the ones I have shot ..the .357 was fun I thought , and a bit snappy , yes but once you are use to shooting I find absolutely nothing about it that says "too big of a round ". Granted I've never shot a snubnose or anything , just my husband's 6 " 686.

When people say things like "start with a .22 or else they'll get scared off of guns" it would lead a woman or smaller guy to believe there is some kind of big recoil out of a .9mm or a say a .45 . Quite frankly , I found my husband's CZ 76 .40 cal to be the easiest to shoot and keep on target , hardly no recoil , and less recoil even than his .9mm PX4. Must be the frame and the ergonomics absorbing the recoil on the CZ ((shrug))

That is kind of what I was trying to say. If you tell people a certain gun is too powerful or too snappy it can lead to a much greater amount of percieved recoil and make them more apt to dislike it even before they try it.

Obviously I don't advocate starting someone a magnum caliber or whatever, but I think most adults can handle standard calibers up to a .45. Everyone will have their preferences though.

Thank you so much for all of the advice! I am going to go back and re read I just wanted to answer a few questions that I can quickly. I am in Gloucester county near Bob's and a few others. I have only handled guns never fired them so If anyone can recommend a good training class I would really appreciate it. I have a few friends with military experience so I was hoping they might help me out, but I would really prefer a class. I know this may sound silly, but I don't think a 22 will be enough gun for me. I am sure they are fun to shoot and the ammo is inexpensive, but I have a feeling if I start there I will be moving on quickly.

Let me just briefly reiterate what I wrote in my last post:

A .22 is a good trainer. I started when I was in High School and I'm the oldest sibling. So Dad bought the K-.22 for us to share. With three kids bangin' away on it, we could go through a brick of ammo in a day at the range!

If Mindy tries a .22 revolver (or semi-auto) and finds that she can't see the holes and wants to buy a .357 to shoot .38 spls. out of, fine! If she wants a 9mm or a .40, that's fine too. It is entirely up to her as it's for her to use (and clean). I suggest a good NRA Basic Pistol Class. That will teach her the basics and what a .22 feels like. She can then try something like a .38 or 9mm and decide she wants to start with that size gun. That's one of the benefits of the training course--getting to handle lots of different guns to see what YOU like best. The Instructor supplys the guns to try-out, so it's a win-win!

If you can get to a place or have friends with 22lr handguns do try them out but I suggest shoot the 9mm too within the same range outing. I am in fact still squirreling money from the wife to buy a 22lr pistol for my range enjoyment (Beretta Neos ). However if you can only realistically get to the range to practice once every 6 months for a total of 2hrs a year, with a single magazine then ammo cost becomes a moot point. For HD with relatively low ammo cost, low cost pistol , manageable recoil it's really hard to beat a 9mm. Ammo is about $13/50rounds, Ruger p95 with 2 mags for less than $400. Bulk 22lr is about $25/500rounds, pistol will also be between 300-400.

i would recommend looking into either 9mm or .38 as a first pistol for home/self defence. try to shoot as many diferent guns as you can to get a feel for them to help decide which one you like better. also a good pistol class will teach you much about proper handling and safety and will give you a chance to try different guns. good hunting :)

My wife just purcahsed her first handgun. She went with the Glock 19 Gen4 9mm (bought from RTSP). After trying my 22lr, 9mm's, 40's, 45, and 38special/357 revolvers, she went with the 9mm autoloader.

She didn't like the heft of the Full Size pistols, or the steel frames. The compact fit her hand much better, and it has a much better weight balance to it. She thought the 22lr was nice to shoot, but for SD purposes it was a little light. The 40 was a little snappy, and the revolvers just eh. 9mm compact turned out to be the best all around weapon for her.

IMHO a 9mm would be suitable. My wife has a Springfield Armory XD Service in 9mm. She shot my Glocks and did not like them or feel comfortable with them. :( But you have to be comfortable with whatever you plan to buy. She shot Glock, HK, Sig, Beretta and her sisters SA XD 9mm and we went with that. She didnt take any classes, which are a good idea. I have her shoot at usually 15 yards and in and she gets better with every time we go out. In fact our first "day" date was at Shore Shot, and the rest was history.

You are close to PK-90 you should pay him a visit, local FFL..

http://www.colddeadhands.com/

South jersey shooting club which you are also close too, PK-90 may be a member their.. gun for hire is training their..

http://sjerseyshootingclub.com/

Check out Hagues off 295 they have a bunch of handgun rentals and they have multiple instructional classes you can sign up for (I don't know the costs for them)

They actually don't have that many rentals available. Some Sigs, 686's and several other revolvers. I'd say less than 15-different types of guns to rent.

Shoot everything you can. You will find what you like. Take your friends up on their offers to shoot. +1 for a .22, not because you are a girl, or because you are new, but because I think .22's are the most fun. I almost always bring a .22 with what ever else I am shooting.

22LR is fun until the home invasion dude takes it away from you after you unloaded the entire magazine on him.....

I am a member at Bob's as well and they have a range of calibers you can rent. They also have offer pistol safety courses you can take. They are not NRA courses, but a good intro and you get to shoot 3 different guns. They are also very helpful and reasonably priced. I have been renting handguns from them to get a handle on what I want to buy. They have a number of 9mm you can rent. Hope this helps.