blksheep

Anyone else use wood to heat their home in the winter?

My wife and I installed a wood burning stove in our house a few years back and we dont know how we survived before it. Yeah its messy and yeah its alot of work getting wood and splitting and stacking it but it is rewarding. We have about a $200 credit with the gas company now. We usually stack about 10-12 jersey cords a year. How much are cords going for around you guys? Here (Burlington County) guys want between $150-$250. We forage almost all our wood and havent paid for wood the past two years.

My house I don't use a good burning stove to heat but we have a cabin up in PA that is heated by a stove. We never buy wood because on the property with the house is literally a forest and there are always plenty of fallen trees. However, around my house I see cords going for around the same as you, average is about $150. I'm in Atlantic County.

I love fire. I love starting fires, I love chopping firewood, I love everything about it.

We have a wood stove insert, basically a wood stove that is inserted into your fireplace which works well for if you don't have the space for a normal wood stove. It has an adjustable fan in it, so it can really put out some good heat. A regular wood stove puts out more heat, but the insert works well for our needs. It doesn't heat the whole house but it warms up the living room and the areas where we hang out the most.

If we used a stove to heat our house, I would invest in a good chain saw, hydraulic log splitter, etc and obtain logs from tree companies and such. I think it's worthless when people buy 8 cords every winter to heat their house, it probably costs less to heat the house with propane or oil. But since we only go through maybe 2-3 cords over winter, I just buy them from a local guy. I was fortunate to find a nice guy who, after buying for a couple years, now gives me a break. He forages for wood, then has all the machinery to split it. The nice thing is he splits his pieces fairly large so it gives you the option of burning large pieces or you can cut them down. He delivers about 2 cords for me for $325 and I'll throw him 20 bucks for delivery. Normally 1 cord is $200 here in Hunterdon County.

All my neighbors use pellets, wood, corn, and coal. Depending on the deals they get. One of my neighbors tried to sell me his old stove but I can't find a tollerable place to put it without going full-blown redneck. House is just not setup for it.

I think it's really cool that nowadays there is a quite a list of different things you can use to heat your house. I know pellets, for example, are very easy for people who want warmth but without the the work of wood. Buy a pallet, pour them in, and voila, heat.

But we all know nothing beats the feeling of chopping wood, starting the fire, and enjoying a nice hot wood fire!

• Like 1

I heat almost entirely with wood. We have a small electrical heater in the bedroom and kitchen but the rest of the heat comes from Firewood. Most winters I go through at least 6 cords. This winter, I'm on track to use about 5 when it's all said and done.

I have a splitter and I try to get as much as I can locally but I always end up buying at least half of what I use. I used to work for a company that made hardwood molding but we started with stands of trees and did the entire process ourselves except the rough cutting at the lumber mill. I got to be very handy with a Chainsaw. I can't imagine how people live without a chainsaw ;)

As my Pop used to say: heating with wood warms you twice. (once cutting & splitting, once burning)

We had a wood burning stove in our house growing up, Pop and I used to do odd jobs for a little extra $$, ie mowing lawns, cleaning gutters, and cutting down trees. paid for cutting down teh tree, + hauling the wood away, then using the wood to heat our house saved quite a bundle over 25-30 years. and we didnt even have a fancy log splitter, we split all that wood by hand. warms you twice.

I'd love to have the space for a wood heating stove, but it just ain't happening unless I add a room or addition to the house. I don't see that happening anytime soon. On a related note, I have a used hydraulic manual log splitter that I'm selling if anyone is interested. It's way to heavy to ship, so we'd have have to do a face-to-face deal. PM me if interested or need more details.

we do here in jackson, wood burning stove, split our own wood, we last on 2-3 cords, nothing crazy, we burn it heavy then kill all the air and then let it simmer, we have had it to a decent heat, tried melting some brass a few times to fail lol. wood burning is great, saves us alot of money.

I have a woodstove insert with a blower. I used to use it more on days I work from home, this year I got lazy. It does heat the whole house.

My problem with it is that the chamber is farily small, and I have to keep feeding it every hour or two. This basically means I have to be around the house to use it effectively. I find there is no point in lighting it up in the evening when we both get home from work. By the time its throwing out great heat, its time to go to sleep. Since we drop the thermo down to 63 at night, no need to have it going at that time.

"seasoned" cords around here go for $200 in the Old Bridge area. Even "seasoned" stuff needs another year in the woodshed, so I have a rotation thing going on...

You're very lucky. I wish I could own a wood burning heater. But town ordnance won't allow it.

Eventually, we'll get a retirement place in the mountains. That will have a high efficiency wood burning stove, solar panels, well water, etc.

Nice to live energy-independant... IE: free energy.

We run one wood stove every day, but when the temp drops (or especially out here, if the wind blows) we fire a second stove up , that we installed a few yrs back. We have propane that will turn on sometimes, but mostly never need it. We paid 185/full cord this year I believe. We burn between 5-7 cords usually. We also warm our barn/garage with a forced air wood stove.

We actually really never have any seasoned wood, lol we burn as we split haha

You probably already know but just be careful with newly cut down trees. I believe burning live/unseasoned wood can build up creosote much quicker in the chimney due to the moisture, so cleaning it more frequently may be a good idea in your position.

You probably already know but just be careful with newly cut down trees. I believe burning live/unseasoned wood can build up creosote much quicker in the chimney due to the moisture, so cleaning it more frequently may be a good idea in your position.

Yeah, we cleaned ours yesterday, probably 3 times a winter on warmer days we scrub it down. I find it more effective to do while the chimini is.still warm from a fire the previous day, we had a chimney fire 3 years ago, and ever since then ever tear we buy a.new brush and scrub away.

QUOTED: But town ordnance won't allow it.

There you go folks. If you are young, enjoy woodheat while you can, as I do now. It is going away in the long run. A recent letter to the Trenton Times by an EPA lawyer type said 'all fireplaces, woodstoves, inserts, etc. must be shut down now'. He said micro particles from woddburning are entering his house and doing damage.

Don't worry about your rights. You don't have any.

I use a minimum of 30 cords a winter.

Holy crapola!

I'm no expert, but that's a sh*tload of wood, isn't it?

How hot do you keep the place and how big,, man thats a lot..

Keep in mind I have a outdoor wood burning stove. Instead of burning split wood we burn logs. All together its heating up about 3500 sq ft on average 65-70 degrees.

I have an outdoor wood boiler and used about 15 cords last year and burn 365 days , I'll probally use half that this year. I'm heating about 3200sq ft right now (6" walls), FHA 1st & 2nd floor, radiant in the basement and garage. I Haven't bought oil in three years. I don't like picking up 4' logs so I pay some local kids to cut and split the wood, keeps them out of trouble and is still cheaper than paying the oil man. My boiler, (technically a wood fired hot water heater, as it is non presureized and open to the atmosphere), is a Wood Doctor brand. I found it to be the simplest brand for repairs as I can buy all the control and fan parts at the "Depot". Mine is legal and non catalytic, I got it in before the BS :nyam: . I also have a woodstove in my walkout basement, in case of a extended power failure I'll be able to keep the house from freezing up. I get my wood for free, but there is a significant cost to acquiring the splitter, chainsaws, chain sharpener, etc. I run all Stihl saws (3), they aren't cheap but are the best. Best part about the boiler is I am self sufficent when it comes to heating. In about 3 years when solar has peaked out and cylindrical tube solar panels are perfected, I'll be that much better off.

I have an outdoor wood boiler and used about 15 cords last year and burn 365 days , I'll probally use half that this year. I'm heating about 3200sq ft right now (6" walls), FHA 1st & 2nd floor, radiant in the basement and garage. I Haven't bought oil in three years. I don't like picking up 4' logs so I pay some local kids to cut and split the wood, keeps them out of trouble and is still cheaper than paying the oil man. My boiler, (technically a wood fired hot water heater, as it is non presureized and open to the atmosphere), is a Wood Doctor brand. I found it to be the simplest brand for repairs as I can buy all the control and fan parts at the "Depot". Mine is legal and non catalytic, I got it in before the BS :nyam: . I also have a woodstove in my walkout basement, in case of a extended power failure I'll be able to keep the house from freezing up. I get my wood for free, but there is a significant cost to acquiring the splitter, chainsaws, chain sharpener, etc. I run all Stihl saws (3), they aren't cheap but are the best. Best part about the boiler is I am self sufficent when it comes to heating. In about 3 years when solar has peaked out and cylindrical tube solar panels are perfected, I'll be that much better off.

Look into Dolmar chainsaw. You'll never look back. I have a stihl and although its not a pro saw its very underpowered in my opinion (dont know what model you have). Never heard of Wood Doctor. How do you like it? I have a central boiler.