BlueLineFish

Home security systems

I have the adt pulse system. I had it installed in November and it seems to be working. I had some arguments with em at first but all is well now. My argument was them charging me for an electrical permit that I never agreed to. But they ended up eating the $60.

I have had great success with Guardian Protection Services. Their salesman did a more thorough inspection and recommendation of the residence to suggest sensor/contact placement. More affordable for more sensors and contacts then ADT. The pluses are their wireless service (no landline needed or in the event of tampering) upgrade for voice panel option (to speak with operator when in trouble) and less expensive hardware costs.

I spent $750 on hardware that got me two motion sensors for 1st floor and basement, glass breaks in all pertinent 1st floor rooms,, three door contacts, and a smoke detector. They haggle on price for hardware.. the monitoring is between $40-45 (+$3 fees/tax) a month depending on if you want the voice option. (5 yr min contract required) Have them over for a consult vs ADT like I did, I reckon you'll find out who's the better outfit = ) and if you go that route... hook a brother up and get me a free month! :imsohappy:

I've had ADT for years now and except for some idiosyncrasies and IMO opinion ,fatal flaw,I would recommend it.

There are a range of motion sensors and settings to consider if there are pets in the house and large expanses of glass,Fire sensors have been set off simply by leaving a door closed in a hot room and the whole system can be compromised by simply cutting the telephone line. They offer all the bells and whistles such as remote cameras and settings that can get quite expensive.

I also install security systems. For an ADT dealer actually for the past 5 years. And yes phone lines are a thing of the past and can easily be disabled from the side of your house. Expect to go cellular. We have cell service starting at 44.99 or a slightly stronger one at 46.99. A three yr contract is required. However you do own the equipment. Id be willing to do a deal to anyone in the forum for 25% off all the goodies. Extra motions. glassbreaks, smokes, carbon monoxide etc.

A 99 dollar installation charge is the norm. And I can usually get all your doors done, with a motion sensor and a keychain remote and also a 1 keypad. Yard sign, decals. etc etc.

Dave

Anyone can send a PM thats interested. As soon as one person gets an install, I can use them as a referer, and anyone after that would get free installation. And the referer also makes 100.

Im in Morristown, But cover the whole state as well as staten island.

• Like 1

I've been interested in an alarm system for a long time, but what's been preventing me is that I have an 80-year old house largely made out of concrete and thick steel lathe, and I'm not so interested in having people drilling holes for wires everywhere. Actually, given my 15 years of working on the house, and several large renovations, and many surprised contractors, I know that something as simple as getting a wire anywhere near some of the windows will be a many-day, close to impossible job.

So, I think I need an entirely wireless system, probably with multiple repeaters (since the thick steel lathe acts as a partial Faraday cage and prevents long-distance transmissions)....

is that possible?

I install full wireless, or hybrid half wire/wireless. The new systems have pretty amazing signal strength and I have installed about 2k systems, only could'nt get signal in 1 house and a repeater took care of it. I also include 1 repeater at no charge if necessary. Believe it or not Mirrors will ruin signals worse than any concrete walls.

Dave

Monthly fee for the monitoring of a cellular based system is 44.99.

I do not offer any web based services.

You do not pay a monitoring fee, and then a cell fee on top.

Its 44.99 a month all in. With warranty, monitoring,and cellular service.

Whether you add smoke, carbon, flood, freeze, or 100 sensors.

I have a good sized house and I have been an ADT customer for at least 5 years. I am pretty happy with them. I believe they have offices that are reasonably local to me (Parsippany) whereas Brinks was down in south Jersey.

I have wireless monitors on all first floor and basement windows and doors, and two glass breakage monitors. So that's maybe 16 windows and three doors? I also have smoke and CO, and motion detectors. I think I am paying about $50/month for monitoring, but I believe they recently notified me of a price increase.

The only downside (and this is nothing against ADT) is that in the summer we cannot have the first floor windows open. There are some tradeoffs with having extra security.

I have been considering getting a security system for a few years now as well (since my break-in). The problem that I've had with doing it is the huge initial investment. I have a ranch-style home, so almost everything is accessible from the ground, and I have A LOT of double sets of windows. I have 10 windows, 2 regular doors, and 2 glass sliding doors, all accessible from outside. When I price it out with ADT or similar they want $1k+ for the equipment plus installation, and then it's $45/mo for cellular since I have VOIP. I also have issues with all the negative reviews about the "big box" security systems and have no idea whether any small companies are trustworthy either. I also don't know if I'm going to be in this house long enough to satisfy a 5yr contract. I know it's all in the name of security for my home and family, but that's a big pill to swallow when I know the older wired systems cost about $5 per sensor at Radioshack.

My adt pulse system is totally wireless which is why I refused to pay for an electrical permit. But as far as windows open as long as you don't open the sensor while the alarm is armed you are fine. If I open a door then turn the alarm on it bypasses it for the time being.

Fellas so you know...

1) ANY security company that is giving you a price THAT low is looking for a multi year agreement....

2) ANY company that has a MULTI year agreement OWNS ....yes OWNS the system....read your contract if you cancel early they accelerate the contract AND they can and WILL come remove the system

3) Phone lines are a thing of the past... VOIP DOES NOT WORK WITH MOST alarm control panels...DO NOT believe your rep if they say it does...if you want DATA I have it

4) Networking or CELL 'B' channel only is the way to go...IF you have VOIP and or put it on your network...

More info can be provided if you need it !

I sold security gear to installers for 14 years , and I second what Nickjc is saying here 100% . In fact would not be surprised if I know Nickjc lol I worked for King Alarm , then Alarmax .

Not having windows open is a big deal. I like to have the windows open when I am home

You can get your screens alarmed. LMK if you can't find someone to do it. My old company in Hackensack will do it.

Forget the big companies. For my business, I had the family owned company State Security (from 1987) and they were awesome. Great customer service, always called within seconds if the alarm tripped and service calls were quick and courteous. Many years later, they got bought out by ADT and everything just went downhill from there.

I had an incident where my alarm tripped (front store window got smashed) and over 10 minutes have gone by without a call from ADT's monitoring service. I called the monitoring service and after numerous rings someone finally picked up and I had to ream them a new one since they had absolutely no answer for not calling me after they verified my alarm went off. What if I had an emergency and needed paramedics, police or the fire dep't? Absolutely no answer except for the "I'm sorry" spiel. And that's just one story!

As of last year, I found another monitoring service called Silent Companion that is family owned and, once again, I couldn't be happier. Their installations (non wireless for me) were professional, their customer service is excellent and they call immediately if there's a problem. There's no way I"m going back to trust my business with one of these fast food type big companies again.

So, don't discount the idea of having a small family business give you an estimate for your alarm needs. Chances are they will be a lot more knowledgeable and get you set up with a more dependable system for your home at a competitive price.

Instead of the wireless plan you offer are you able to piggyback onto a Verizon's Home Connect ? It's home cell service with the use of a cell receiver that your home phones plug into. No traditional copper lines involved, and has a 8hr battery backup if the power goes out.

I have friends I grew up with that have a family biz...Commercial Protective Systems out of Elmwood Park, NJ...The can do whatever, full wireless systems, back up cellular network...decent yearly 24hr monitoring fees...if you decide to check them out, let me know I can make a call for ya.

I didn't want to deal with contracts, and upselling salespeople. So, I installed my own wireless system, by Visonics, monitored by NextAlarm. I added all the extra sensors that I wanted, including smoke. I also tied it in with my X10 enabled light switches and modules, so the alarm system can turn on and off lights on certian events... like opening a door, disarm/arm, or all lights on when an alarm event occurs. Motion sensors you need to change the batts maybe twice a year if that. The door sensor batts last a long time, multiple years. I even put a wireless external siren outside, uses a chunky lithium batt that also lasts many years.

They have both internet, and phone models. You can also add a backup GSM module to deal with phone cable cutting if you like. $14 per month full dispatch monitoring. They respond quickly, I know from false alarm events, like forgetting the alarm is on and opening the back door, etc.

Got it from here.

Their call centers take forever to get someone to the phone. They routinely call the wrong Police Dept for alarms. They never confirm proper phone numbers for the responding PD that covers the address in question. Their operators are rude, lazy, and usually not very bright.