kurtinnj

If you were me, what is the best bolt action you would buy?

OK I have some extra money and want to buy a bolt action for range shooting only. So if you were me what would be your dream buy. Remember price is not an option, so let it go. What does matter is the price of ammo. I already have 22LR so go with some thing bigger, 30-06 maybe? Come on guys, let me know your dream rifle is. I want something new, I have an AK47, a 12 gauge and a 22LR . Remember this is only for the range. Live your dream through me, maybe.

Why spend lots of money unless you know what you want and why, and unless you acquire the skills and the location to utilize that much gun. The scope will also be a bundle.

I would say any of the following would be good in whatever caliber you want: Ruger 77, Winchester 70, Savage 10 or variation... 11, 14, 16; or Remington 700.

Remington 700 SPS 20" Tactical in .308 or .223 with the Xmark pro trigger. Obviously, the .223 ammo will be cheaper. Either one will take you out to the max distance of any current NJ range. The .223 is good for 600yds and the .308 is good for 800yds. Of course either caliber could be taken out further, but i use these numbers as a rule of thumb.

Rifle about $700

Then you need a good scope. Dont buy a $100 scope. Buy a quality brand name. You wil spend $400 on the low end to $2,500 on the high end.

My set up is:

Remington 700 SPS Tactical 20" .308

Carl Ziess Conquest 4.5-14x W/ Rapid Z-1000 reticle (BDC for 1000yds)

The rifle cost $650 the scope was $900

Kurt, you say money is no object but my last 2 bolt guns with accessories were around 10k each. Is, money is not a concern, really what you mean? I think it might be better if you painted a budget and a discipline around what your looking for.

Shane

I think under a 1000.00 not 10k that must be for you rich guys.

Can you even get a model 70 in 7.62 NATO? Even if you could a 308 is better because you can fire both rounds while 7.62 NATO is stuck with 7.62 NATO. I vote Remington 700 SPS varmint with new stock etc

As far as I am aware, 7.62 NATO and .308 Remington are the same exact cartridge dimensionally, the only difference is the powder charge and the bullet weight. Primer might be different, military ammo typically has "harder" primers compared to commercial ammunition.

You need to get one of these

USKragRifle.JPG

an unmolested M1898 Krag-Jørgensen rifle in great condition is a fantastic shooter. The one I have has an extremly smooth bolt, very little recoil, and very accurate. Its my favorite firearm to shoot that I own and only cost $800.

Under $1k I would get a Rem 700 factory 5R in 308 Win. A Rem 700 PSS would also be a good choice and would be a little less money...around $900. Remember you need a scope rail, rings, and a scope for your rig if you dont have that gear already. And ammo of course.