Kaiser7

So how old are most people here anyway?

Age Range  

200 members have voted

1. 1. As of right now, how old are you?

Haha, well I just retallied for the current figures.

The Average user age, as of now is 36 years old (out of 26 responses), it's gone up from 33.6 when I tallied earlier.

Interestingly, as the average user age has gone up, the average age of shooting for the first time has gone down. The average age most people here started shooting is now just under 18 years old (out of 19 responses).

Interpreting this data, it seems the older you are, the younger you learned to shoot. It looks like a lot of the people who are younger, in their 20s and 30s, only started shooting within the past few years. Those who are in their 50s seem to have, for the most part, started shooting before their tenth birthday.

New Tally! As of now, the Average age is 37 (out of 37 responses). The median age is still increasing, but I must admit, I'm surprised just how young the average age is. I really would have thought it would be higher than that. Interesting.

The average age that people started shooting has decreased (but only slightly.) it went from 18 (17.9 really) to 17.7. (25 responses)

What I find most interesting about this is the dichotomy of how people seem to have either started shooting fairly early in life (5-13 years) to much later (30s and 40s). Usually I would have thought most people would have started earlier. Hell, I figured I was relatively late to the game, never picking up a firearm until I was 19. I always figured firearm ownership/use was something that stuck in families, that you'd shoot for the first time fairly young, and perhaps get back into it later in life when you have more money. I'm surprised just how many people didn't start shooting until they were in their 30s.

That's a good sign for the firearm community though. It means that more people are practicing their right to bear arms, even if they weren't exposed to it at a young age. Of course, without a total sampling, or even a much larger one, my results may very well be off, however I'm going to keep monitoring this, and seeing what the data says haha.

52 started at 8

I'm surprised just how young the average age is. I really would have thought it would be higher than that. Interesting.

This is because the older generation are not on internet gun forums like the younger generations.

46 and turning 17 this year :icon_razz:

Knees are going downhill.

I've been shooting since I was 7, and still have the rifle and pistol. Dad liked guns, but mom didn't. Wife doesn't like guns, doesn't see a need for them and thinks we're perfectly safe from bad things happening because nothing bad happens in Mahwah. Went shotgun shooting with my son's boy scouts last year and she let her guard down. There's now a G19 G4 and a Mosin Nagant waiting to be be de-Cosmo'd. Little does she know there's another Mosin, possibly two, on the way, plus another handgun. And....she agreed to let me buy an AR ("it's only $1200 and we have to buy before Obama bans them").

Yup, more young shooters is a good thing for the community (don't forget to vote!).