So what is the scoop when it comes to cleaning.

I shoot a lot but only have shot a lot over the last year.

My theory on stuff is to use stuff and run it into the ground.

I don't get sentimental about cars, motorcycles or guns.

My time is limited and I don't want to spend a lot of time cleaning.

I had a bolt action Marlin 22 that I put under my bed for 10 years and the same with

a singel shot 20 guage. They were not cleaned of oiled when I put them there and

looked fine when I started shooting them a lot after 10 years. No rust at all and the bore was clean.

Moisture seems to be the problem. So I have a little heater in my gun safe.

The powders are all non corrosive so I don't see any harm in putting something away

for a few week after shooting without cleaning it.

I put about 5,000 round through my SIG522 without cleaning it after each use.

I just throw in some oil if possible after a usual shoot which is about 500 rounds.

Same goes for my Ruger. They both run the ammo and shoot just fine.

Have about 600 rounds through my Beretta 9mm with the same type of handling.

In reality if my life dended on the guns I would probably err on the side of caution

but for target shooting it's a different story.

So forget about being harder to clean if I let it sit.

Bottom line, if the metal does not pit or corrode if I don't clean it

I won't waste my time with cleaning it.

I'll just clean and oil so the ammor runs throught it without a problem.

The question is, will it pit and corrode if the crud is left on over an extended period of time?

Thanks

Hey if that's what you do, and you haven't had an issue great.

I prefer to clean them after each session. It gives you a chance to inspect your guns and catch a small issue before it becomes a big issue.

For example while cleaning you see a small scratch on the slide of a semi auto pistol. You track it to a slight burr on the frame. Remove the burr gun good to go for a bunch more rounds.

Ignore the burr and eventual it galls and the slide doesn't close all the way. Next round kaboom.

Your choice. How much are your face, hands, arms, life worth to you?

You have to keep in mind how gas pressures work. In semiautomatics, the pressure of the gas is channeled off, and used to reset the system to fire again. Of course, there are other methods (recoil operated weapons, or piston systems) but no matter what, you need to clean your guns. If you're not using corrosive ammo, you don't need to clean them EVERY time, but at the same time, it can end up leading to problems down the line. If the gas system gets clogged up, you're going to have reliability issues eventually, and the gun won't last as long. Even if you don't have a sentimental attachment, you have a financial one. You won't get as much "mileage" out of your guns if you don't take care of them, and they won't last you as long. Not to mention increased wear on them from improper maintenance will decrease the amount of money you can get from them should you choose to sell them.

I say clean them every once in a while, at LEAST once a year if you don't shoot them much.

I give all my guns a good cleaning after each range trip. I guess some people find it bothersome, but I just listen to my ipod and get it done.

IMO, if you take care of your stuff, it will take care of you.

Other than a Glock, I clean everything when I get back from shooting. Poor maintenance will eventually harm your guns.

I don't think it's true. I have an H&K and a Beretta that I am purposely not cleaning. Both are operating great, not a single flaw, FTF, FTE, etc, between them. Eventually I'll clean them, but not for another few thousand rounds...

Thanks for the replies guys.

Much appreciated.

I do understand that you have to check the gun to make sure it's safe.

I do look at them after each time we shoot them.

At this point I have a good feel for when they have to be cleaned.

I do oil them pretty much after each use.

Life is a bunch of trade offs.

Twenty or thirty minutes might not seem like much to clean a gun but I just don't have the time.

I'm married with children :-)

Thanks again.

Okay you don't get attached to things but do you maintain your cars, motorcycles, home and whatever else you own? Or do you drive your car until it stops running? Guns are no different and a little goes a long way. You can do a 90% clean on a handgun in about 5 minutes. A lot of guys have families and if you have time to shoot them you have time to maintain them. Maybe you need to look at your time management.

I've always been of the school that believes a clean gun is a happy gun and a happy gun will take care of you.

I clean after every range trip, usually keep the cleaning to a quick 20 minutes. Every 1000 rounds it get's a bit more of a clean. Every 4000-5000 a deeper clean. I find it relaxing to have the music on and just clean the gun.

TheWombat

I clean after every use. Complete field strip, scrub it till it looks new and re-oil.

If I haven't shot in a while for whatever reason, before I go shooting, I field strip, and go over it, oil all the parts that need to be and reassemble.

For me I don't look at it as cleaning. I look at it as relaxing time. Sit here on the forum, BS in chat, clean a little and listen to Classic Rock on Youtube..

I was told by a shooter that the obsessiveness of gun cleaning after every single range trip is not neccessary. Every time you disassemble a gun, you are slowly compromising its integrity.

The less you take apart a gun, the better off you are.

Maybe you need to look at your time management.

Instead of cleaning my guns this weekend.

I took my chainsaw and my son and we cut out a shooting range on our property near Tusten NY.

Shot the 223 the 22 and the 12 guage. Blew up jugs full of water with buckshot and slugs.

That quality time with my son is worth all my guns.

Instead of cleaning my motorcycles I put on 55,000 miles in 3 1/2 years on two of my motorycycles.

My riding buddy who cleans his all the time put on 75,000 miles but he did not have a job.

I was told by a shooter that the obsessiveness of gun cleaning after every single range trip is not neccessary. Every time you disassemble a gun, you are slowly compromising its integrity.

I agree.

It's like motorcycles. More harm is done by cleaning and not riding than riding them into the ground.

Most motorcycles and probably guns die of neglect and not because of use or poor maintenance.

Have to post pics of my dirtbikes that we keep in Owls Head NY.

DIrty as heck but my 16 year old has put on about 3,500 miles on his dirbikes since he started riding when he was six.

When I was little I was told by Yoda I'd be able to grab things from across the room with my mind if I tried hard enough.. Turned out to be a midget in a costume and he lied to me.

Everyone has a preference. Doesn't make yours right or mine wrong or vice versa. It's all about what you want.

Me hitting a little lever, and taking the slide off, dropping a spring, and letting the barrel out isn't doing anything to the integrity of it that letting it build up gunk and such, isn't doing just as bad.

IMO, if you take care of your stuff, it will take care of you.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

You need to properly keep your guns clean and lubed if you expect them to stay in good condition. The only way to do that is to field strip clean and lube. Dirt and grime attracts moisture, and throwing oil on top will only go so far.

I fail to see how properly field stripping a weapon leads to compromising the integrity of the firearm. Were not talking about completely breaking it down. I prefer my action to be clean and smooth, and have the rails clean and run like glass. I go a little far compared to most people and use a fine pick to scrap out grime from the rails, and you would be suprised how much can build up in 500 rounds of range ammo, its not exactly clean stuff.

No damage done with normal fieldstripping. If you have a M1A or M1 with a bedded action you will hurt it.

I agree if you're talking about detail stripping that many people are fascinated about. The only time to talke a gun completely apart is if its broken.

Instead of cleaning my guns this weekend.

I took my chainsaw and my son and we cut out a shooting range on our property near Tusten NY.

Shot the 223 the 22 and the 12 guage. Blew up jugs full of water with buckshot and slugs.

That quality time with my son is worth all my guns.

Instead of cleaning my motorcycles I put on 55,000 miles in 3 1/2 years on two of my motorycycles.

My riding buddy who cleans his all the time put on 75,000 miles but he did not have a job.

I agree.

It's like motorcycles. More harm is done by cleaning and not riding than riding them into the ground.

Most motorcycles and probably guns die of neglect and not because of use or poor maintenance.

Have to post pics of my dirtbikes that we keep in Owls Head NY.

DIrty as heck but my 16 year old has put on about 3,500 miles on his dirbikes since he started riding when he was six.

A dirty gun and a dirty motorcycle are two diffrent things. You change the oil and filters, lube wherever they need it, and check tire pressure don't you?

A clean gun is more than just appearance.

When I was a kid i use to go fishing all the time. My friends poles always looked brand new and I had to replace mine every year cause I didn't take care of them. I finally caught on and have never bought a new rod since. If ur not keeping up with the things that help keep you safe than perhaps you should take up a lower maintence sport like golf?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Much appreciated.

I do understand that you have to check the gun to make sure it's safe.

I do look at them after each time we shoot them.

At this point I have a good feel for when they have to be cleaned.

I do oil them pretty much after each use.

Life is a bunch of trade offs.

Twenty or thirty minutes might not seem like much to clean a gun but I just don't have the time.

I'm married with children :-)

Thanks again.

If you're taking 30mins to clean a gun, you're taking too much time. You don't need to detail strip every time.

I don't clean my guns until I start having problems, and that would be feeding problems due to a dirty chamber. I don't do bullseye so at this point accuracy isn't a top priority for me.

I even sometimes go a week or more before cleaning my black powder guns.

For rust prevention, Eezox is best when dealing with the NJ soup. Lightly spray a clean rag, wipe on a thin coat. Swap the bore and chamber area and you're good to go.

If you're dealing with modern metal in modern guns with non corrosive ammo, then I wouldn't worry about pitting. Ain't gonna pit in your lifetime unless you store your guns in a hot steamy green house.

So what is the scoop when it comes to cleaning.

I shoot a lot but only have shot a lot over the last year.

My theory on stuff is to use stuff and run it into the ground.

I don't get sentimental about cars, motorcycles or guns.

My time is limited and I don't want to spend a lot of time cleaning.

I had a bolt action Marlin 22 that I put under my bed for 10 years and the same with

a singel shot 20 guage. They were not cleaned of oiled when I put them there and

looked fine when I started shooting them a lot after 10 years. No rust at all and the bore was clean.

Moisture seems to be the problem. So I have a little heater in my gun safe.

The powders are all non corrosive so I don't see any harm in putting something away

for a few week after shooting without cleaning it.

I put about 5,000 round through my SIG522 without cleaning it after each use.

I just throw in some oil if possible after a usual shoot which is about 500 rounds.

Same goes for my Ruger. They both run the ammo and shoot just fine.

Have about 600 rounds through my Beretta 9mm with the same type of handling.

In reality if my life dended on the guns I would probably err on the side of caution

but for target shooting it's a different story.

So forget about being harder to clean if I let it sit.

Bottom line, if the metal does not pit or corrode if I don't clean it

I won't waste my time with cleaning it.

I'll just clean and oil so the ammor runs throught it without a problem.

The question is, will it pit and corrode if the crud is left on over an extended period of time?

Thanks

Yes, firearms are tools, and while they are to be used, they should not be neglected or abused, at least that's what my dad taught me years ago. There are some things you cannot prevent over a firearm's lifetime, but they do need essential maintenance. Somewhere along the way, you should adopt the theme that cleaning is essential. If it's a chore, then you are over-complicating things.

If you look at it over the long haul, when you need them in peak operating order to perform as designed, they will. If you intend to pass down any firearms to your heirs, keeping them in reasonable shape might be a good idea too. There are heirlooms in my family that have been passed down from great-grandfather's and great-uncles to grandfather to father to son's. If the original owners didn't take care of their arms, they would not be in the condition they are today for us to enjoy and treasure. Some date back to the mid-1800's, and are still in fine working & shooting order.

So long as it's lubed and runs, there is no need to clean it. When mine start to get really icky I clean them. I would guess that's between 1-3k rounds.

I could tell...

:hunter:

I don't clean my guns every range trip and I don't wait until failure. I estimate 200 rounds between cleanings, sometimes more on .22 rifles. The reason, I don't want the slide or chamber surfaces to get worn from gritty residue. Dirt and particles will stick to the rails and start to act like a lapping compound if not removed. It's more to protect the firearm and keep it in good condition. I have a Sig P226 with almost 3K through it and it still looks new following this method.

As im still a novice in this hobby, and this is just my opinion. I find it kind of comical with the guys who come home from the range after shooting and

immediately run out to the garage to clean their guns, as if it cant wait until the evening or the next day or two.

I am a temporary custodian of fine historical firearms. Many are well over 100 years old and look and shoot like the day they were made. I say temporary custodian because they have been around well before i came to this world and if i do my part they will be around well after i am gone. I would be heartbroken if something happened to them because of my negligence. I guess it matters what you have, a new glock that they are injection molding thousands a day of, or a hand made shutzen rifle, there is a big difference. New stuff can be easily replaced if you screw it up, old ones may be impossible to replace.

As im still a novice in this hobby, and this is just my opinion. I find it kind of comical with the guys who come home from the range after shooting and

immediately run out to the garage to clean their guns, as if it cant wait until the evening or the next day or two.

That would be me most times. Right from the Jeep, into the basement into the Armory and start cleaning.

The Mossberg I let slide more then the Pistols. Pistols get cleaned after every range trip, almost immediately.