johnp

Luciano's-Lodi/West Paterson

I'm guessing some of the firearms dealers and ranges will not be in business long. The shortage of ammo and firearms will kill the dealers,especially the ones who charge premiums for guns

not to mention the cost of ammo, which in turn will keep people from blowing up $100 worth of ammo in 5 minutes at a range. No way i would join

I know people who would pay 600 for the platinum. Any range needs to cater to the market and there are plenty of high income earners who would pay that amount without even thinking about it assuming the facilities and environment are good.

I know a number of people believed RTSP to be overpriced however that has not prevented them from being very successful in getting members and being in a position to expand the number of lanes within 12 months of opening.

Irrespective of the price, I am looking toward to seeing another range open in New Jersey.

TheWombat

Sent using Tapatalk

From what can see, it includes other things like, preferences, discount ammo, coffee shop, etc., etc.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Wow, $400+ for a simple membership? and you still have your friends pay $15 to share a port? $75 bucks to bring your kid!? no rifle...

They make RSTP look like a bargain that's for sure.

I see no benefit here, i would rather just go with a friend and we both pay for a port each. All those "discounts" i would never use, don't have kids, i never rent guns, and i never buy ammo by the box...

Are they making 2 ranges? one that has A/C and one that doesn't?

The only good thing I see about that is they will do rentals. At that price for a membership I'm wondering what the hourly rate will be for walk ons. I was really hoping the price wouldn't be that steep since it's only 5 minutes from me.

Yea I hope it's wrong. And now I don't wanna see the hourly rates. Its so close but for that kind of money ill go private club, wait for riverdale who knows how long that will be. But really this is a public range? Can't be that special for that kind of cash.

Everyone said that RTSP was too expensive too.. and look at them now... you gotta wait in line to get into the place. If the current craziness in the gun community continues, this new range will be just as crowded regardless of what they're charging. And based on what I've seen so far, it will be better than RTSP. So, while I don't seem myself paying that kind of money for a membership, I'm sure there are plenty of people that will.

I paid half that for RTSP but can never get on the range and go infrequently because of it. I would think I'd get more range time at the new place considering its 9 vs 20 miles and has many more ports. In the end it may be cheaper for than RTSP.

I also forgot I had to pay 75 or 100 for my son to join to shoot with me and we still have to share a port and 100 bucks for rifle. So in the end I am paying 450-475 at RTSP and not getting great use of it. so 600 and frequent trips is something i need to consider.

There is a problem with waiting. IF the website is depicting accurate info, (which I don't think it is), and people sign up and hey run out of memberships, you go on a waiting list... That means you'll be waiting a year minimum to get in if you do decide it's worth it. Just saying....

And for as close and nice as it may be for me, I can't join at that price. I'd rather deal with CR which so far, have no probs with. Knock wood.

Well i hope for 600 dollars you dont have to wait at all, ever. I guess i'll wait for them to open up and see how the lines are. If in fact you get treated like a King and never have to wait i'll pay . Its only a mile from my home.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Believe so... Mike is over seeing the work.

Is this being run by the same people as Ottomanelli's?

Typos courtesy Apple...

I was at Ottomanelli's today looking at different hand guns. The range next door will have 19 ports they said and a few will be 50 yards deep. They plan on allowing rifles and shot guns so they have that. And what you saw was a work in progress we don't know and no I didn't ask them about prices. I am of the opinion thta those who will pay that pirce will and those that won't. It will be how they handle their customers that make the difference in price.

There's a few factors here. In the demographical area that this range is located in there will be people who are cash rich, time poor (e.g. doctors, executives, lawyers etc) who wouldn't see $600 as a significant issue.

Then it also comes down to commute. If my current nice range is a 45 minute drive, but Luciano's is a 15 minute drive then I save an hour (30min x 2) of time for every range trip. I typically go to the range about 52 times a year so that is over a week of work time I am now saving - albeit the drive is a good opportunity to listen to GunForHire Radio! As a added positive, since the range is now only 15 minutes drive I'm also more likely to go mid-week etc and therefore make more use of the range. How I perceive the premium over Shoreshot, RTSP etc therefore needs to factor these aspects in.

I would even guess there is a market for a 'platinum plus' membership at say $900 where you leave your firearms at the range (with the exception of your SD/HD ones naturally) and the range cleans, lubes and services them for you when you next come shooting. This would appeal to those who either are less interested in cleaning their firearms, don't have time to clean firearms or are in a family situation where it is preferred to keep at least some firearms away from the house. Many people wouldn't be willing to pay this premium, and would either do walk-ins or use other ranges.

I have no idea if the full details of membership and pricing are confirmed yet. I'd guess not as while they may have a basic business model plan defined there are many ways to tweak it based on focus groups etc with the key customer demographics they are trying to target.

I can also see having aspects such as a coffee shop on premise as being a positive that at least interests me. Now I can come shooting with my wife, after she has had enough shooting she can relax in the coffee shop with her iPad etc while I don't feel rushed to finish and pack up. Or, since I usually go shooting early morning at the weekends I can grab a croissant and coffee without having to worry about a stop at Starbucks being considered an unreasonable deviation etc.

As mentioned, the shooting community has a broad demographic range. While some shooters are fine with Bayonne and Bullet Hole these are ranges I would not choose to go to, and would definitely not take friends/family to. ShoreShot is ok, RTSP is a definite step up and it looks like we have another step up again. Time will tell whether they are successful or have priced themselves out of the market. I believe though that they will be successful.

Considering that the US is a Capitalist nation that encourages entrepreneurship and there is definitely a market for a premium range (whatever that may mean) I am surprised by some of the forum comments. It is not as if we are losing an existing range or an existing range is suddenly doubling its price. I actually believe, considering the strong apathy in NJ regarding firearms, that we are lucky to have two new (RTSP, Luciano's) ranges opening to cater for the market. CJRPC, Old Bridge, Range 14 etc are just too far for me to drive on a regular basis.

Just my 2c

TheWombat

Wombat makes some really good points. I've come into the shooting scene very very recently, I've spent most of my free time in golf for the past 18 or so years, picked this up because I like the technology of the firearms and it gives me something to do at night, inclement weather etc. Putting aside any legal topics, the firearms industry and the shooting scene are pretty similar to the golf industry. Technology and availability drive the market, but you still need a place to play with your toys. Private clubs in the area run the gauntlet from $5k bonds to $250k+, daily fees from $25 to $140. In each case you'll find crowds, you'll find members who take advantage of every opportunity they have, and those who forget they even have the memberships.

I don't see this being any different. The quality and popularity of the range will dictate the market value and drive the pricing. At this point its all conjecture about a web page that was seen before it was completed and ready for public consumption(presumably why it is locked now).

Regardless of what the pricing structure will be, if there is a daily fee/hourly rate to accompany a clean, friendly, local range it will be a hit. We just have to give it time to get squared away.

Wombat hits the nail on the head! Having a "lounge" with a relaxed feeling would prob a win/win situation. I never been to RTSP, only the Bullet Hole. The BH is soooo packed u cant move. Its sux when u just shot and u wanna BS with ur buddies, etc. Time to go OUTSIDE! When its cold or raining, the outside is the last place to be. This new range is literally 10min from my house, CR is 30min. I think that having a place to BS w/ like minded people is a great idea for a range. Lets see how it pans out!