BD104X

Question about keeping mags loaded.

Someone told me a while ago that it wasn't a good idea to leave mags fully loaded for long periods as it weakens the spring inside, and that can cause misfeeds. Any truth to this? I was planning on leaving a mag loaded with HD ammo and just popping it out and leaving it behind when going to the range, then just popping it back in when I get home, but this advice has me thinking I should rotate them if it's true. What do you guys think?

Some people will say it's ok, some will say it's not good.

One thing I did see was springs don't wear from being compressed, they wear from getting cycled..

Just keep a count of "Yes's" and No's and tally them up at the end and do what you feel good with. lol

Springs wear as they are compressed and decompressed..the change of state is what induces wear. Staying compressed or staying decompressed doesn't matter. Think about a paperclip. Straighten one leg of the clip out and keep bending it back and forth...eventually it breaks. Same holds for springs.

As long as springs are compressed within their designed operating range, they will not wear from being left loaded. Springs wear from cycling. If you want more in depth explanation, you're more than willing to look through my engineering textbooks from college.

My duty mags stay full until I qualify, so every 6 months they get cycled. I have had no issues. If Ur really worried about it have 2 mags for hd. One empty and one full every 6 months you swap ammo over. They can last way longer, now most jails do once a year qualifications, and I bet peoples mags stay full the entire year. I wouldn't sweat it but I guess there is things u can do like what I suggested to avoid any possible issues.

They weaken from cycles and not time.

To prove this theory, a glock 18 recoil spring will last what, 50k rounds at MOST?

50k rounds at 1200RPM cyclic rate means it would be compressed for 42 minutes.

If time wore springs out, then locking your slide back for exactly 42 minutes will wear out a recoil spring. It will not, but cycling it 50,000 times (which takes 42 minutes) will. Same idea for mags...

Or just buy 10 mags and only use a few for constant use and save the others for...future use?

I number the baseplates of my magazines. I train with them all and if there is a mag related malfunction, it gets marked as "TRAINING ONLY" mag. After I get home, the mags that worked fine get reloaded with defensive ammunition. That being said, Murphy's Law is indiscriminate and seeing as a semi-auto is a paperweight without a working magazine, I keep a spare mag with every semi-auto. I carry a spare pistol mag when I'm out and about not for the capacity but for if my mag craps the bed. The chances of one mag that worked flawlessly going down when I need it most is unlikely, two going down would be Fate out to get you.

Im playing safe. I keep all my mags loaded -1, and i make sure that 1's a month i do a regular check up, remove all load and check each ammo, even replace everything every 6 months. Is it to much???? Nop, for home defense there is no cheap side

Im playing safe. I keep all my mags loaded -1, and i make sure that 1's a month i do a regular check up, remove all load and check each ammo, even replace everything every 6 months. Is it to much???? Nop, for home defense there is no cheap side

Why? If the mags are just sitting there, what purpose is served by checking the ammo? Unloading and loading a magazine is what degrades the springs - being compressed does not. You are possibly creating problems where, if you left well enough alone, there would be none.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Well, I have mags that work fine after having sat loaded for over a year. I also have my m&p mags from my production rig. They have been through about 34,000 rounds of ammo loaded up to 10 rounds across 5 mags, so approximately 680 cycles per spring and the work great.

All of mine remain loaded, including my speed loaders. I look at it this way, I would rather shoot when at the range than spend precious time reloading,allows me to transport more ammo and I hate the appearance of an empty mag,saddens me.....

Since I dumped one of my semi autos, I picked up 4 more for my CZ so time to buy even more ammo.

As others said, compression/decompression cycles are what weakens springs. Leaving it uncompressed or compressed for long periods will not have any discernible usability effect our lifetimes.

IMO, No need to exercise them or load/reload periodically, unless you think the mag was dropped or put through other environmental rough usage (high humidity, dirt, banged, etc) and you have to clean or fix it.

...and i make sure that 1's a month i do a regular check up, remove all load and check each ammo, even replace everything every 6 months.

The image I have in my head is Buggs Bunny checking for duds by hitting rounds with a hammer.