Sandy

All Metal BUG?

I think you will find many of the manual safeties on these guns to be somewhat lacking too. The M&P Shield has one that I would worry about accidentally activating or not activating because the "shelf" for it is very slim, probably to keep the profile narrow. The same for the FN FNS. It pains me to say that the safety for the Kimber Solo is nice, well placed, and has a good tactile feel.

How about looking to used guns? S&W used to make the 3913 (single stack w/ 3.5" barrel) and Chief's Special (single-stack with 3.0" barrel) both models in 9mm and these were sweet, all metal BUGs. The CS9 is harder to find, but you can readily find a nice 3913 for < $500 on gunbroker. Or look to the S&W 3953 which is the DAO variant of the 3913. Both would be great for a BUG match!

How about looking to used guns? S&W used to make the 3913 (single stack w/ 3.5" barrel) and Chief's Special (single-stack with 3.0" barrel) both models in 9mm and these were sweet, all metal BUGs. The CS9 is harder to find, but you can readily find a nice 3913 for < $500 on gunbroker. Or look to the S&W 3953 which is the DAO variant of the 3913. Both would be great for a BUG match!

I have a 3953 i bought. cheap from my lieutenant. Great gun. Love the trigger. I may switch this to my off duty.

.I like the safety type where if your hand is wrapped around the backstrap it will fire. I do not like safeties you have to otherwise switch on and off. I do not use the one on my Combat Elite. IMO the pressure pad thing on the backstrap is good enough for me.

Sandy, with all due respect, if that's the way you feel you should not carry/use a 1911 platform. You have a full grip on the gun drawing it from a holster - without the thumb safety engaged, it's "live". This is a ND looking for a time to happen - the where is not in question, it'll be your upper thigh.

Both USPSA and IDPA require the safety be engaged prior to the start signal.

JMB designed the gun to be carried cocked and locked - that's locked with the thumb safety - the grip safety was added at the insistence of the military and was not part of the original design. You should get used to thumbing off the thumb safety during presentation (after the last match, so should I). Do not rely on the grip safety only.

The Sig, that you are taking a liking to, does not have a grip safety, just an ambi thumb safety.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

When I think "Back up Gun". I think snubby revolver or pocket auto. Both are steel guns.

Ruger LCR is as good as it gets though, IMHO. Although it is polymer.

Sandy, with all due respect, if that's the way you feel you should not carry/use a 1911 platform. You have a full grip on the gun drawing it from a holster - without the thumb safety engaged, it's "live". This is a ND looking for a time to happen - the where is not in question, it'll be your upper thigh.

Both USPSA and IDPA require the safety be engaged prior to the start signal.

JMB designed the gun to be carried cocked and locked - that's locked with the thumb safety - the grip safety was added at the insistence of the military and was not part of the original design. You should get used to thumbing off the thumb safety during presentation (after the last match, so should I). Do not rely on the grip safety only.

The Sig, that you are taking a liking to, does not have a grip safety, just an ambi thumb safety.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What I should have said is the pressure pad has to be good enough for me. I can't reach the thumb safety with my thumb. At least not well enough to take it off easily. I can't put it in the on position at all with my thumb. I have to use my left hand to manipulate that safety. So if there was a situation where I had to shoot one handed and the safety was on , tengo problemo . So I rely on good pointer finger control , and feel somewhat safe knowing that if something hooks the trigger besides my finger , she won't go boom. I specifically got the M&P 40 with no safety for this reason . I can't operate the slide decockers or slide locks one handed at all either. Remember the guy in CP having a kitten while I was trying to wrestle with the slide lock release on that 1900 dollar CZ ? lol

Sandy, in the competition folder where we talk about the upcoming matches, I normally say if I am going to make it or not, if you see me going to match you are attending let me know. I know you weren't looking for a gun like the S&W BG380, but if you haven't made a final decision let me know and I'll bring it just so you can shoot it and at least check it out. You like it great, if not, you got to try it..

Unfortunately, I'll be only shooting the OBRAMS match in June as it looks. Lots of extra work and projects, as well as me setting up my time off in July to head out to AZ for a week at the house in Scottsdale, and then I jump on the bike when I get back to NJ I jump on my bike for a party down in TX.

Now that I think about it I won't be getting out too much over the next 2 months, but if it works out the offer still stands.

Harry , you have my old life :)

You want it back?? LOL

Yea, but leme look at this,,,,,, yea thats it, if I like it's only another 3 years 10 months and 10 days and I can retire and not have to ever work another day unless I want, so I'll take what I have to do for now.. :)

That is the lone advantage of starting a family in your 40s. Stay home with the kids until they don't need you anymore and are old enough to get themselves home from school and be home alone and you are at an age where you can get away with never going back to a 9 to 5er. The downside is having 3 teenagers when you are in your late 50s. Yikes.