Mikeythumbs

First time in pa looking at guns

Went to Lancaster this weekend. On the way home today decided to make a detour to cabelas OMG guns on racks you can just grab and see how they feel. Ammo not in cages just sitting on the shelf to be grabbed and bought instead of being treated like a criminal and having my ammo locked in a plastic box. Hello heaven. :)

Funny, I was over in Hershey for the weekend with the wife. Passed Cabela's on the way to and back, joked with the wife that we're making a detour. All I got was a smirk. doh!

We make an annual drive down to TN every year (driving through the night) and this past year I engineered it so we'd be passing by Cabelas on our way back to Jersey right as it was opening. Very cool place. The kids dug it - lots of stuffed, mounted animals (real and fake), kind of little outdoorsy museum/amusement park. The camping section is a bit generic, nothing as good as Campmor, but it's a cool place to walk around.

I'll have to check out the gun area this year.

(Phantom fireworks is also part of our annual trip) :p

Cabelas is BS, specially on weekends. Minimum 1-2 hours wait for any purchase firearms maybe even longer for pistols. Yes you can touch everything but ask about buying a pistol with a 15 round magazine, those idiot salesmen(PLURAL) will happily tell you they can't sell it to anybody in NJ. True story

Cabelas is BS, specially on weekends. Minimum 1-2 hours wait for any purchase firearms maybe even longer for pistols. Yes you can touch everything but ask about buying a pistol with a 15 round magazine, those idiot salesmen(PLURAL) will happily tell you they can't sell it to anybody in NJ. True story

Out of state pistols/handguns have to go through an NJ FFL.

Out of state pistols/handguns have to go through an NJ FFL.

exactly but he does have a point that they will have an issue with it. I had to clear things up before.

Mike, Cabela's is a great place and always good for a rainy day when you play hookie from work. The week is a better time to go, as they do get busy and Tuesday seems to be the best day of the week in my opinion. We generally go there once a month just to get out, so if you wanna take a ride the next time we go, I'll send you a text.

True about the FFL, I'm sorry I didn't clarify that. But 3-4 salesmen that butted in our question told my friend (also a member here) and I that they can only sell us a pistol with 10 rounds or less. I just wish the salesmen were more informed.

I think it's more of a store policy then the individual guy. Granted, I have had more than a few convo's at PA gun shops correcting them on NJ law.

Generallyy speaking, cabelas would have to have a handgun that I couldn't get my hands on at all to purchase from them. Their prices are pretty higher than what I can do locally, plus I would have to pay the transfer etc...I will say, every now and then they have a good deal. I passed on a sig 229 sas for cheap, went back two days later and they just sold it 45 minutes before I got there. Snooze you lose.

True about the FFL, I'm sorry I didn't clarify that. But 3-4 salesmen that butted in our question told my friend (also a member here) and I that they can only sell us a pistol with 10 rounds or less. I just wish the salesmen were more informed.

That is just bad training or stubbornness on their part as they must have been told by customers numerous times that NJ is 15 rounds or less.

I think it's more of a store policy then the individual guy. Granted, I have had more than a few convo's at PA gun shops correcting them on NJ law.

Generallyy speaking, cabelas would have to have a handgun that I couldn't get my hands on at all to purchase from them. Their prices are pretty higher than what I can do locally, plus I would have to pay the transfer etc...I will say, every now and then they have a good deal. I passed on a sig 229 sas for cheap, went back two days later and they just sold it 45 minutes before I got there. Snooze you lose.

With their prices as high as they are, it's a wonder to me that the PA people buy some many guns there. Cabela's is great for selection but I'm very impatient; too impatient to wait hours to hold the gun and then hours to pay for it and own it.

With their prices as high as they are, it's a wonder to me that the PA people buy some many guns there. Cabela's is great for selection but I'm very impatient; too impatient to wait hours to hold the gun and then hours to pay for it and own it.

Completely agree. It is amazing at some of the prices people pay for guns in PA. Then again, if we weren't so repressed? (to tired to think for the correct word) we likely wouldn't mind paying more for the convienence of walking in and out with a gun in 3 hours at any given time we feel the need.

You can find deals on Rifles and shotguns there. Plus their coupons come in handy sometimes.

Cabela's is an amazing place to go if you have an entire day to kill and you're just hoping to fondle some guns and get a feel for what you want.

Not such a good place if you're actually planning on purchasing a gun. Unless you're the world's most patient person, or you're fortunate enough to find a great deal on the massive used gun rack.

You impatient amateurs got it all wrong about Cabela's. You have to shop like I do: Like a WOMAN! LOL! Cabela's is very female-friendly cause they make a lot of the buying decisions, believe it or not! So you "buy" your gun, and then to kill time, take-in the rest of the store.......

It's part of the operations plan to do the NICS check, and during the weekdays the system isn't bogged-down with 1,000's of sales in an hour (nationally). So what you have to do is to sort of figure-out what you want to buy, then hit the gun counter FIRST and buy what you want (yes, the 15-round BS does happen, ask to see a manager) with your FFL's info in-hand (if it's a hand gun). If it's just a long gun, I've been in and out of there in less than 45 minutes on a Monday!

THEN, while you're being impatient like a 5 year old, walk-around the rest of the 250,000 Sq. Ft. store and use a shopping cart to get ammo, clothes, clays, duck calls, muffs, reloading supplies, powder, cleaners, fishing dept., Bargain Cave, get a snack or drink upstairs, hell you can even drool on 40-round magazines and drums, etc. AND hit the several used long gun racks to check for bargains like I've already found more than once!

Be sure on the way back or out to stop at Dietrich's Meats off Exit #40 (Rt. 737) for some good PA Dutch delicacies, and check-out the Winery right around the corner from Dietrich's on Street Road. And my favorite Black Powder joint, Dixon Muzzleloading Shop is off of the same Exit #40, only 2 miles down Rt. 737 headed towards Kempton from the intersection nearest Dietrich's.

And if that's not enough to do, there's even a Sporting Clays course about 15 minutes from Cabela's, and they have Trap Houses too!

So IF I had to buy a gun on a weekend, I'd have PLENTY to do to keep my mind off of "THE WAIT" for NICS.........

Old Fudd Dave

YES, I would NOT recommend a first time visit to Cableas on a Saturday morning. You may have a frustrating experience with the crowds. Take a day off of work, driving out on a Tuesday morning

and be there when they open and you can breath and relax and totally enjoy the experience!

Cabelas is certainly a neat place. They are very proud of their firearms, so not a good place to buy guns unless they are running a killer sale or you have Cabelas points on your credit card and coupons.

As for them being confused about NJ legal guns/mags, they should just tell you to leave and go home. People here on this forum can't agree about what is legal and what is not for owning a gun or mag in NJ, and it's way more your business than it is the business of a gun store in PA. You expect them to put up with this bs? Why?

People here on this forum can't agree about what is legal and what is not for owning a gun or mag in NJ, and it's way more your business than it is the business of a gun store in PA. You expect them to put up with this bs? Why?

Really? I thoughty it was very clear? Am I missing something? No mags over 15 rounds, what is not clear about that? I know you are from free America and love to poke fun of us "po' folk" here in the Rebublik of Jersey, but the mag issue is pretty clear?