this_is_nascar

401k -- Early Withdrawals (Prior to Age 59 1/2)

Does anyone here have any experiences with early 401K withdrawals that you'd care to share? In particular, how/if it impacts NJ State Tax. I understand that an early withdrawal counts against normal income, the plan administrator must withhold 20% for taxes and that you get penalized 10% of the total withdrawn amount. I also understand that the 20% withheld, in many cases, may not be enough cover the total tax liability come tax-time. What I don't understand is how/if this get factored into NJ State Tax.

I believe you will owe regular NJ tax as well.

It would have to be a former employer too. (cannot withdraw from current employer plan)

I think the cutoff age for the penalty with 401k is 55 not 59.5

Finally there are some types of withdrawls you can make while still active in a plan .. mainly after tax contribs and earnings on the same. (only the earnings are taxable).

Roth 401k principal and earnings can be withdrawn w/o penalty after 5 years I believe.

But of course I would like to hear the answer from a pro in the business too!

Usually if its a roth you can also withdraw up to what was contributed in a tax year without penalty since with a roth its POST-tax money you are contributing. Yes you WILL pay NJ Income tax on the withdrawn money.

You'd pay income tax on already taxed contributions to an after tax retirement plan?

Thanks. 59 1/2 is the cutoff for getting a pentilty for an early withdraw. If you've seperated from your employer at 55 or older, you don't pay the penalty either. I'm aware of that info. Specifically, I'm interested in what NJ wants, if anything, from the early withdrawal transaction. Thanks for mentioning Maks. I didn't realize he was "in the know" on this subject. It would be a former employee that still had the plan at his old company. I'm not talking about an IRA or Roth IRA. This is strictly a 401k I'm asking about. I'm aware of the various hardship withdrawals and withdrawals that are allowed prior to reaching 59 1/2.

You would normally roll a 401k plan into a traditional IRA anyway, not take distributions from the 401K plan.

ETA: Actually while you have 3 options for a 401K plan, the best option is to roll over to a Traditional IRA account. Your other options are if you like to look into them would be roll over to a Roth IRA, or Cash out the 401K account, but I'd bet 99.999% of financial advisor's and people in the know would recommend to roll over to a traditional IRA.

Just wanted to add that being you do have more than 1 option.

All I'm trying to find out is whether or not NJ taxes and/or penalizes the early withdraw. If so, is it at a special rate or that of the normal income brackets?

Not sure about NJ being when I do retire I'll be a resident of another state, but take a look at "Substantially Equal Periodic Payments" Rules for IRA and how they apply to NJ. This is one option I was looking at when I retire being I'll retire prior to 59 1/2. There are probably a few other options and like you are doing, don't make any final decisions till you know all the options and tax consequences..

Wait for a financial advisor to answer. I took out money to open a business , was told wrong info , and was most unpleasantly screwed by state tax that year to the tune of 7K I was not expecting to owe. If memory serves. Accept no opinions or personal history..wait for Maks or someone who is a tax account IN NJ or sometime . Trust me on that.

Im interested to know the answer to this as well. I want to know if its a smart idea to tap into htis to buy my first house.

there is an exemption I believe for this, however you must pay back what you took out, I also believe it must be done on a certain schedule and with interest, but wait for as with the OP for Maks or another financial or tax adviser to chime it.

Wait for a financial advisor to answer. I took out money to open a business , was told wrong info , and was most unpleasantly screwed by state tax that year to the tune of 7K I was not expecting to owe. If memory serves. Accept no opinions or personal history..wait for Maks or someone who is a tax account IN NJ or sometime . Trust me on that.

Agreed. This is what I intend to do anyway. I just wanted to get some thoughts from anyone is already done this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Don't do it!

^^ What he said.

Check out: http://www.state.nj....tgi-ee/git1.pdf

If you are still employed with the 401k employer you really can't get it out unless you claim hardship. You can take a loan for certain things.

Fed Tax + 10% + State Tax = not worth itThis is tax preferred account and it is tough to justify taking that kind of hit. Given the contribution limits it is tough to re-build.

There's also other protections that retirement accounts get that others don't.

And as for the "Substantially Equal and Periodic Payments" - 72(t)(2) - be very careful with this one. There is no leniency with this method and one little hiccup can make the whole thing taxable+penalties etc etc...

Do you want to know if it's worth doing in your situation or an answer to your question? Your question has been answered multiple times. Without knowing ur full financial picture we can not provide a better answer. If you are using it to payoff 30% credit cards or to survive than that's one thing. If you are going on a vacation that's another. Something else to consider. Qualified accounts are protected in the event of bankruptcy. So if that is a potential situation for you by all means DO NOT tap those funds now!

NO, I'm not asking if it's worth doing or not. All I wanted to know was if/how much tax liability there would be for NJ. That's it. I think I was pretty clear in my 1st post. I was interested in hearing from those who have actually done it, although I appreciate the responses I've recieved so far.

NO, I'm not asking if it's worth doing or not. All I wanted to know was if/how much tax liability there would be for NJ. That's it. I think I was pretty clear in my 1st post. I was interested in hearing from those who have actually done it, although I appreciate the responses I've recieved so far.

Too much tax!