woodentoe

Woodbridge mall knife hostage suing town for $5M!?

Mind=blown

A few months ago, there was a hostage situation in Woodbridge center mall. A wanted parole violator got caught shoplifting and rather than get nicked, he took a woman hostage by knifepoint and dragged her into sears.

A uniformed, off-duty Woodbridge cop engaged the suspect, told him to let her go and when he failed to comply...shot the suspect dead. So this woman survived as a result of direct action taken by the PO Barrett.

Both she and her husband now claim they have PTSD from the incident and blame the officer for acting recklessly and causing her injury.

Uh, pay day? What is the world coming to!? This guy should get the key to the damn city and a hug! Now the town is being sued? WTF?

In fairness, they aren't suing the officer personally, but the town itself. Mayor McCormick stands by the officer's actions and plainly points out that PO Barrett's actions saved this woman's life.

I can not believe this could go to trial. Chances are, they will somehow settle out of court...which would also be a miscarriage of justice. If she should be suing anyone at all, it is the penal system that paroled this turd and failed to keep tabs on him. Medical expenses and lost wages could maybe be sought from the perp's family. But, seeking a payday from the township is pretty gross.

If towns het sued because of legal police actions then what will happen. The towns will seriously impede on what an officer does just to cover their a**. This thankless money grubbing cunt should rot with the rest of the perps.

+1000 ....she should be thankful that they arrived as fast as the did and handled the situation in a swift manner. It was as simple as, him or her. One was going down. Whether or not she was misguided, she's in her 70's and should have well rounded concept of morality and understand that what was done was necessary. Absolutely ungrateful.

+1000 ....she should be thankful that they arrived as fast as the did and handled the situation in a swift manner. It was as simple as, him or her. One was going down. Whether or not she was misguided, she's in her 70's and should have well rounded concept of morality and understand that what was done was necessary. Absolutely ungrateful.

She's in her 60s.

I heard about this suit a while ago. The Perp's brains came out his nose and sprayed her. The .45 round did it's thing and there's one less scumbag in this world, but she's "upset" about the entire thing. Perhaps the Cop should have used an inferior 9mm round? (just kidding, not looking to flame an argument)!

I hope this suit goes NOWHERE and the town has the balls to NOT SETTLE out of Court!

Only time will tell.......

Are you kidding me! Go after the people that saved your life because you didn't like they way that they saved it? Its this kind of crap that promotes the idea of not helping people in trouble is the best thing to do. Don't get involved, don't look, keep walking while someone is in trouble.

IMO this is a frivolous lawsuit that should penalize the plaintiff and his/her attorney. We should have rules that if you are going to sue someone for personal suffering... if you loose the case, you are responsible for all of the defendant's legal fees and compensate for any other hardships like time off from work, etc. This way only people who feel VERY strongly that they have the evidence to win their case will ever sue for stuff like this.

Who cares how old she is. She is a leech and should have to pay after the suit gets tossed for wasting everybodys time

THis is not to say I disagree with you. I much more agree with this assessment with regards to financial penalty. I don't agree with "rotting with the perps"

As for her age? I merely point it out because facts are important. right?

Another leech rings the cash register.

Though I will admit, having some skel's head explode right next to your face could cause you some mental issues.

Maybe the mall should pay for her therapy for a few years, but not the township.

Bottom line, the mall gets sued either way so it's lose lose for them (not providing safety vs PTSD).

Does WPD carry .45? Is that a carry round for many cop shops?

Im not trying to pick a fight with u woodentoe. This just infuriates me by further perpetuates the selfish society and makes my job harder by allowing case law that might hold me or my dept liable when I am just trying to do the right thing.

That's fine. The next time she gets held hostage the police will know to just ignore it.

Nobody wants to work for money anymore, it's just looking out for your big lawsuit payday.

That being said, I'm confident this will get thrown out assuming the officer was acting within whatever guidelines are set for hostage situations.

Another leech rings the cash register.

Though I will admit, having some skel's head explode right next to your face could cause you some mental issues.

Maybe the mall should pay for her therapy for a few years, but not the township.

Bottom line, the mall gets sued either way so it's lose lose for them (not providing safety vs PTSD).

Does WPD carry .45? Is that a carry round for many cop shops?

I know North Brunswick and PAssaaic Cty Sherrif are .45 shops. Glock in NB and M&P in Passaic cty.

Who cares how old she is. She is a leech and should have to pay after the suit gets tossed for wasting everybodys time

+1

If she has such an issue with it, they should put her back in the same situation and then not help at all and see what she thinks. What a piece of garbage.