woodentoe

Woodbridge mall knife hostage suing town for $5M!?

PTSD is something the medical community came up with while thinking about what new disorder to market this week!

PTSD is just the current medical terminology for "combat fatigue" or "Shell shocked". It's been diagnosed under different names for decades upon decades.

While I don't agree with the lawsuit, even though I'm an evil ambulance chaser, the situation here could cause a legitimate case of PTSD.

ok. ouch. She still was a victim and had to go through a pretty horrible thing. I definitely think she was misguided by some ambulance chaser. but...

In my opinion people like this are a waste. It's almost too bad the officer didn't shoot after she'd been wasted. I'm starting to think that people are throwing around the whole PTSD thing now. Surviving an attack over in Iraq, I can see that causing PTSD. Hell, my grandfather served in WWII, and he never developed PTSD, nor does he know anyone who had.

People deal with some crap in their lives, this woman should shut up. I just hope that some day, something like this happens to her again, and the cop doesn't intervene, so that she can get what she deserves.

In my opinion people like this are a waste. It's almost too bad the officer didn't shoot after she'd been wasted. I'm starting to think that people are throwing around the whole PTSD thing now. Surviving an attack over in Iraq, I can see that causing PTSD. Hell, my grandfather served in WWII, and he never developed PTSD, nor does he know anyone who had.

People deal with some crap in their lives, this woman should shut up. I just hope that some day, something like this happens to her again, and the cop doesn't intervene, so that she can get what she deserves.

Post Tramatic Stress Disorder / Syndrome goes unnoticed at times. My dad had it until the day he died. And he was out of the service for 65 years.

Don't want to highjack but this needs to be corrected.

I have no comment on the topic of this thread. Just my $.02

In fairness, they aren't suing the officer personally, but the town itself. Mayor McCormick stands by the officer's actions and plainly points out that PO Barrett's actions saved this woman's life.

I can not believe this could go to trial. Chances are, they will somehow settle out of court...which would also be a miscarriage of justice. If she should be suing anyone at all, it is the penal system that paroled this turd and failed to keep tabs on him. Medical expenses and lost wages could maybe be sought from the perp's family. But, seeking a payday from the township is pretty gross.

Please re-read what you said Ray and what it's really saying. It's total BS and should not even be allowed to be filed in the first place. And why the heck would there even be a consideration of a settlement out of court???

Come on, I can't even grasp this line of thinking, talk about pandoras box being opened..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PTSD is something the medical community came up with while thinking about what new disorder to market this week!

PTSD is real. The medical community is having issues with it though, because in addition to diagnosis being inexact, there's also the problem that you can be exhibiting symptoms from an incident that would likely cause PTSD for a large portion of the population, and you can be exhibiting it due to normal life hardships but you just lack normal coping skills.

I could see going after treatment costs, but $5 million?

Please re-read what you said Ray and what it's really saying. It's total BS and should not even be allowed to be filed in the first place. And why the heck would there even be a consideration of a settlement out of court???

Come on, I can't even grasp this line of thinking, talk about pandoras box being opened..

My name is Jim. Re-read what I wrote I never suggested that settling out of court would be a good thing. Rather, it is my cynicism of the entire system that caused me to speculate that it may happen. Plus, as far as I know...it hasn't bee filed yet. Just that there is an article in The Star Ledger that they are considering filing suit. And, I agree. It is a travesty to do so.

That's a pretty silly thing to say. When's the last tine you had a dudes brain all over your face? As for the lawsuit, its a travesty. The cop should be given a citation for saving her life

Guys, please

The "ambulance chaser" approaches people that have been stressed and says things like "you may have a case here, if we lose you owe me nothing. Lets let the jury decide." After a few weeks the stressed person says "hey what the heck, if I win it means it was a good lawsuit, if not I am not out of pocket."

My attorney, when I was a defendant, said that after a while most people look at it as rolling the dice at the craps table without putting down some chips.Winning, or any doubt they have over their actions, is relegated to the jury, because who are they to judge right?"

Some lawyer tells you you can get 5 million bucks if you roll the dice...Think about that. Like for real.

And you can have PTSD from a car accident. Post Traumatic Stress is not exclusive to a war zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My name is Jim. Re-read what I wrote I never suggested that settling out of court would be a good thing. Rather, it is my cynicism of the entire system that caused me to speculate that it may happen. Plus, as far as I know...it hasn't bee filed yet. Just that there is an article in The Star Ledger that they are considering filing suit. And, I agree. It is a travesty to do so.

Sorry about that Jim, read it wrong myself then.

I just feel cases like this should not even be allowed, they are total BS and people only looking for a free ride. That and what would happen if by some if it was heard and some planet alignment and everything else was perfect and they won? Man I'd hate to see a precedent like that being set.

What's her attorney's name?

Both Shane and her husband, Ronald Shane, "are suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome and both have been dramatized from this incident," according to the tort claim notice filed by their lawyer, David Corrigan of Eatontown.

Many people say the same thing when folks use the court system to try to enforce their rights to own or carry a gun. It's a slippery slope when you start denying people's right to address their grievances in court.

If this doesnt get tossed out then you set the precedent that taking police action could get you sued. This is complete horseshit and if this gets to trial our legal system is a complete failure.

+1

Many people say the same thing when folks use the court system to try to enforce their rights to own or carry a gun. It's a slippery slope when you start denying people's right to address their grievances in court.

I was going to say the same thing. There is a reason these things have to go to court. To judge the merit! If it doesn't have merit, she won't get crap. Filing a claim doesn't mean you get free money. It doesn't mean it is legitimate. It doesn't mean it isn't legitimate.

Denying someone the ability to do such is judging before you have heard the facts nevertheless a claim. People don't always do what is right. I'd say that actually people tend to do what benefits themselves more often then to do the right thing. So you can either have a system that allows people to present their side of things to a judge or jury, and let them decide, which inherently allows for frivolous and bs claims to be made, or you don't allow anything at all, preventing those bs claims while also preventing every legitimate claim.

PTSD is real. The medical community is having issues with it though, because in addition to diagnosis being inexact, there's also the problem that you can be exhibiting symptoms from an incident that would likely cause PTSD for a large portion of the population, and you can be exhibiting it due to normal life hardships but you just lack normal coping skills.

I could see going after treatment costs, but $5 million?

Yeah she should be going after treatment costs. FROM THE SCUMBAG WITH THE KNIFE'S ESTATE!! Going after the town for having a cop likely save her life is just plain stupidity.

Guys, please

The "ambulance chaser" approaches people that have been stressed and says things like "you may have a case here, if we lose you owe me nothing. Lets let the jury decide." After a few weeks the stressed person says "hey what the heck, if I win it means it was a good lawsuit, if not I am not out of pocket."

And guess who gets stuck with the bill? Town needs a lawyer to respond. Need to get a judge and all the support staff. Guess who pays for all that. Need to have 50 people waste their time waiting to be a jury. Witnesses need to take time off from work to testify. etc.

There needs to be a method of recouping loses from scum lawyers who file these frivolous lawsuits.

The town / LEO did nothing wrong and did nothing to provoke this attack, suing the town is saying they played a role that led to the hostage situation. She has no right to sue the town. She could TRY and sue the mall, but even that is ridiculous.

but then again, i usually try to use common sense when i think things like this over. so i'm probably wrong. common sense is not so common.

And guess who gets stuck with the bill? Town needs a lawyer to respond. Need to get a judge and all the support staff. Guess who pays for all that. Need to have 50 people waste their time waiting to be a jury. Witnesses need to take time off from work to testify. etc.

There needs to be a method of recouping loses from scum lawyers who file these frivolous lawsuits.

The problem with this is defining "frivolous." Yes, there are people who file absolutely idiotic suits (like I believe the mall knifing one to be), but not all lawsuits are going to be found to be without merit. Then of course, if you have a law in place to stop lawsuits like this, what is to stop some judge with a political agenda from throwing cases out of court by labeling them as "frivolous," and then forcing a person who may have had a legitimate case to pay a hell of a lot of legal fees for the town? Yeah, it sucks that things like this have to back up the legal system, but that's the nature of the beast. If you want a (somewhat) fair legal system, things like this need to continue to happen until we invent some kind of super intelligence that can instantly and impartially rule on these kinds of things.

The problem with this is defining "frivolous." Yes, there are people who file absolutely idiotic suits (like I believe the mall knifing one to be), but not all lawsuits are going to be found to be without merit. Then of course, if you have a law in place to stop lawsuits like this, what is to stop some judge with a political agenda from throwing cases out of court by labeling them as "frivolous," and then forcing a person who may have had a legitimate case to pay a hell of a lot of legal fees for the town? Yeah, it sucks that things like this have to back up the legal system, but that's the nature of the beast. If you want a (somewhat) fair legal system, things like this need to continue to happen until we invent some kind of super intelligence that can instantly and impartially rule on these kinds of things.

How about a post decision court, with a jury to watch a video of the case, that decides if the case was frivolous, with losing LAWYER paying ALL costs if deemed frivolous.

Guarantee BS lawsuits would be gone in a month.

How about a post decision court, with a jury to watch a video of the case, that decides if the case was frivolous, with losing LAWYER paying ALL costs if deemed frivolous.

Guarantee BS lawsuits would be gone in a month.

+1

And guess who gets stuck with the bill? Town needs a lawyer to respond. Need to get a judge and all the support staff. Guess who pays for all that.

Yes, true. No question. But all those people are full time paid employees that handle what comes down the pike.

The jurors are there because they are randomly selected the be around as needed.

It's just another case on the queue. I would bet money that the judge will dismiss.

I completely understand the outrage, but I have been through the system as a defendant in a sailing accident. If you don't see how it works in person it all looks like greed run amok.

I, for one, believe that PTSD is real because I have it, but I know that most insurance will not pay for the kind of treatment that the woman will need. If insurance is no longer ready to deal with mental health issues that aren't cured by pills then that person is going out of pocket.

Yes, true. No question. But all those people are full time paid employees that handle what comes down the pike.

The jurors are there because they are randomly selected the be around as needed.

It's just another case on the queue. I would bet money that the judge will dismiss.

I completely understand the outrage, but I have been through the system as a defendant in a sailing accident. If you don't see how it works in person it all looks like greed run amok.

I, for one, believe that PTSD is real because I have it, but I know that most insurance will not pay for the kind of treatment that the woman will need. If insurance is no longer ready to deal with mental health issues that aren't cured by pills then that person is going out of pocket.

Not all of them..Most attorneys bill for that stuff, even if they work for the Towns...nevermind overtime costs for anyone who has to testify ect Which is why so many Municipalities will just settle, it costs them less in the end than winning the trial