Wage

Advice/input on first handgun appreciated

Well I made it out to Easton yesterday and was able to hold a bunch of guns. The four that I liked the best were the Glocks (17 and 19) The FNH FNX, the Walther PPQ and the Springfield XDM. I am going to take the 8 hour beginner pistol class, it should give me some great knowledge and a chance to shoot 3 of the 4 above guns. The FNX is not in the rental program. The full sized frames feel much more balanced in my hand.

Looks like you re comfortable with polyframe pistols. See if you can get your hand on a SigSauer SP2022. One ofthe few that comes with standard 15round mag like the Glock19 and Ruger P95 also very and solid pistols. Its usually around $400 -$450.

I was faced with the same dilemma as you about a year ago... I wanted an "all around" good first handgun. I narrowed my choices down to the Sig P226 and the Beretta 92. I had experiences shooting these in the past (friend's own them) so I did not consider guns that I did not shoot such as the S&W M&P 9 or the Glock G19.

I chose the Beretta 92A1 over the Sig, primarily due to the price. Though I did like the Sig better overall, I could not justify the added expense over the Beretta, I do plan to own a Sig P226 someday when my wallet allows it, but I am incredibly happy with the Beretta and do not regret the purchase at all.

The large frame is very forgiving with the 9mm recoil. It is easy to disassemble and clean. I have never had a malfunction other than when I let a female shoot it and she limp wristed the hell out of it causing a failure to eject. Also, Beretta is running a $50 rebate program until the end of the year on 92 series and Px4 pistols, when looking at prices figure either of these Berettas will be -$50 if you buy before the end of the year.

I was able to put some rounds through the Glock 19 yesterday at my Guns for Hire class. It fit well and shot well. I have a friend with an XDM that I am going to try soon. The Sig didn't feel right in my hand. I'll have to try some of their other guns. The FNX (if i remember correctly) was really comfortable fitment wise as well as the PPQ. So many choices! I also shot an 8 round .357 Nighthawk. I like the action of a semi auto over the revolver.

Is there anything i need to be aware of with ear protection?

Don't skimp on it. The higher the NRR level the better.

If you're shooting indoors, you want a higher NRR level because the sound will echo. Most active hearing protection has low passive protection. You don't want to be shooting at SCFGPA's underground tunnels with an AR15 with low protection (under say 25db) .... I double up on plugs and muffs when doing that.

Don't skimp on it. The higher the NRR level the better.

If you're shooting indoors, you want a higher NRR level because the sound will echo. Most active hearing protection has low passive protection. You don't want to be shooting at SCFGPA's underground tunnels with an AR15 with low protection (under say 25db) .... I double up on plugs and muffs when doing that.

+1. Don't cut costs on the fixed expenses.... Such as guns, hearing and eye protection, range bag.

Save some money on the ancillary costs... Range fees (if it means get a membership instead of spending $40 on range fees every time you go), ammo, etc.

Guns to us is like jewelry or shoes to women. You can't say.... What's the best pair of shoes to get. You just got to go and try them out. After a while your closet is full of shoes that are reflective of your tastes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Well after almost 2 months I finally have my I.D. card. I'm pretty sure i've decided to go with a Glock despite all the negativity out there towards them (which i don't get can someone explain?)

My question now is which one, the 19 the 17 or even the 34? I can't conceal/carry so a smaller gun isn't a must and considering the gun will be used for range time 99.999999% of the time and home defense the rest of the time wouldn't it make sense to get a decent all around gun that a longer barrel provides?

G19 = 15 round mags. G17 = 10 round...

yeah but I feel more macho intimating people with a Big G17 than a G19.

what will people whisper about you at the range when you pull out a skimmy G19 from your range bag?

come on, man. be an attention wh0re & sound off the big bangs of a G21

dude, size matters.

I'm pretty sure i've decided to go with a Glock despite all the negativity out there towards them (which i don't get can someone explain?)

Hard to explain... Glocks have no soul.

I've always said that my Beretta 92FS is my wife, solid, reliable. My PX4 is my high-maintenance young Italian mistress. My 1911 is the girl I first fell in love with.

A Glock is just... a Glock.

I mean, I could go on about the size of the grip, the comfort of the grip, the crappy sights (on the Gen 2 model that I had).

In all honesty, you can't go wrong with a Glock 19. But it's just not my cup of tea. Guns for me are more about sport and fun than defense. And the G19 will do that very, very well.

I guess my question is...what type of ammo is most readily available? Seems like every report I read shows that suppliers are running out. It would really suck if I got my first gun only to find out the ammo supply has dried up.

And...Is "wad cutter" ammo ok for self defense?

I guess my question is...what type of ammo is most readily available? Seems like every report I read shows that suppliers are running out. It would really suck if I got my first gun only to find out the ammo supply has dried up.

I wouldn't want to take one in the belly or chest.

As for ammo, I don't think there is any issue with getting the more common types, i.e., .9mm, .38. .40 and .45.

There are periodic ammo shortages that are caused by panic buying. I wouldn't worry about ammo drying up.

There is nothing wrong (and several things right) using wadcutters as a SD round. A factory wadcutter gives adequate penetration even at target velocities. The bullet is already in an efficient shape that a hollowpoint has to expand a bit to get to. Less recoil and muzzle blast mean its easier to control. Where a wadcutter could use some improvement is velocity. However, this becomes less of an issue with short 2" barrels.

If you have a 4" or longer barrel a +P round makes more sense. However, a wadcutter still makes sense if you are a new shooter and not accustomed to the recoil and muzzle blast of a +P. I carry wacutters in a small frame, 2" barrel revolver for the reasons I stated. I've beed doing that for nearly 40 years.

So yes, a wadcutter is okay for a SD round and in some cases what I prefer.

Don't buy a small frame revolver for your first handgun. They are hard to learn how to shoot well and you might get discouraged. A 4" 357 gives you a lot more options and is easier to shoot.