So depressed today...

This has never been my experience. On our machines the left-most lights are lit initially which correspond to no choice. Where did you see this behavior?

dist 3 and 4 booths little egg harbor.. They were like that last election too.

Rather than getting rid of the Electoral College entirely, wouldn't it be better to just eliminate the "Winner Takes All" aspect for each state? Then it should be more representative of popular vote without strictly popular vote. There's something wrong with a system that when the popular vote is at 51-49, the EC is 303-206.

But maybe I'm just not thinking of something wrong with that method either.

Now that I think about it though, how is the EC different than popular vote? To use your analogies, if 2 foxes vote to eat the chicken, the electoral vote sides with the majority (foxes) and it's the same outcome anyway. Each electoral vote should roughly equate to the same number of people in each area, which is why states get different numbers of votes based on population. Therefore, why would it be any different (except for the winner takes all)?

sorry ruger9 i have been educated on why the electoral college was created and i think that your exemples are WAY off rape and murder will always be illegal that has NOTHING to do with how the president is elected. why is it ok for the popular vote to pick our other goverment officals? In MY opinion i think the electoral college may have been needed in the past but i beleve that it is an "old way" and needs to be removed all togather but that is just MY opinion.

Like the Constitution? Looking for a new way? This suggestion is like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. it would create a culture of disenfranchisement across huge swaths of the country. You think CA, NY and TX have sway now? Watch what happens in a mob rule "democracy"

We use the popular votes for senate, house, governor and state legislature because they are self contained races. The EC is intended to provide weight to every state based upon it's density so as to provide a voting block.

Take away the EC yesterday and Obama still wins. Take away the EC 8 years ago and Bush loses.

I know there is a lot of anger about last night, but this is a solution in search of a problem.

sorry ruger9 i have been educated on why the electoral college was created and i think that your exemples are WAY off rape and murder will always be illegal that has NOTHING to do with how the president is elected. why is it ok for the popular vote to pick our other goverment officals? In MY opinion i think the electoral college may have been needed in the past but i beleve that it is an "old way" and needs to be removed all togather but that is just MY opinion.

Don't single me out... several of us here disagreeing with you.

Rather than getting rid of the Electoral College entirely, wouldn't it be better to just eliminate the "Winner Takes All" aspect for each state? Then it should be more representative of popular vote without strictly popular vote. There's something wrong with a system that when the popular vote is at 51-49, the EC is 303-206.

But maybe I'm just not thinking of something wrong with that method either.

Now that I think about it though, how is the EC different than popular vote? To use your analogies, if 2 foxes vote to eat the chicken, the electoral vote sides with the majority (foxes) and it's the same outcome anyway. Each electoral vote should roughly equate to the same number of people in each area, which is why states get different numbers of votes based on population. Therefore, why would it be any different (except for the winner takes all)?

Exactly.

This is an interesting notion. This is what Nebraska does.

Maine is similar, but they do 1 per district, plus 2 at-large for a total of 4.

I also just looked it up and it appears that there is quite a discrepancy in population per electoral vote per state. It varies from 200k to 700k per vote, which is pretty large, so that would explain a difference between electoral college vs. popular vote to help less populated states keep their equal say. I still think eliminating winner-takes-all would make the races much closer though.

I also just looked it up and it appears that there is quite a discrepancy in population per electoral vote per state. It varies from 200k to 700k per vote, which is pretty large, so that would explain a difference between electoral college vs. popular vote to help less populated states keep their equal say. I still think eliminating winner-takes-all would make the races much closer though.

That actually has the smell of corruption, like the gerrymandering used to draw congressional districts.

One thing is certain, people care more about social issues than ANYTHING else.....fools think Republicans are the answer.....is these Republicans can't win in the situation this country is in....then well.....Game. Over.

Oh, and saying 'wait till these twenty something's who supported Obama see their new tax rates'....is a BIG waste of time.....they are all baptized with the mantra of 'paying one's fair share' (of which, this fair share myth is never defined)......

Now now.. they aren't as stupid as you think. The problem is that you can't be shocked at how much the government is taking if you can't find a job that pays enough for that number to be big enough to bother you. You don't miss X% of way more than I need to be comfortable. You also don't really miss X% of it wasn't enough in the first place. You only really miss it if X% is the difference between getting by and not getting by or lots of options and no options.

As fro the electoral college stuff. The electoral college is wand was broken, kind of like a nation wide popular vote is and was broken. THe electoral college just happened to also fix a number of problems modern technology make easy to work around. Conducting the vote pre-industrial revolution was a MUCH, MUCH more daunting task than conducting it post punch card and adding machine. It permitted the nation to not be in a questionable state for any longer than necessary.

Jsut look at election numbers. Under the electoral college, about 40-45% of the popular vote doesn't matter. Under the popular vote, about 48% of the popular vote doesn't matter. WHen you have roughly 30% voter turnout to begin, and THEN have it come down to 1-2% every time, it isn't how you count the votes that's broken. It's like having the oxygen masks drop cause your plane is going down, and complaining to the waitress that the crackers you got with your cocktail were stale.

After reading many Facebook posts today, apparently anyone who.didn't vote for Obama is a racist. Differing ideologies don't matter, just race...

Oh, and bush is Satan incarnate.

Didn't you know that?!?!? It's YOU'RE A RACIST AND IT'S ALL BUSH'S FAULT." That was the Obama supporters' rallying cry.

Wow, it always amazes me how the brainwashed think. They take no risk and expect all the reward. Stop bitching and work hard and make something of yourself. It's America, where immigrants come here with nothing and can become wealthy. I never finished college yet I have never made less than 6 figures in the past 13 years. Get over urself.

After reading many Facebook posts today, apparently anyone who.didn't vote for Obama is a racist. Differing ideologies don't matter, just race...

Oh, and bush is Satan incarnate.

I didn't vote for obama and I'm not a racist, Its his white half I don't like.

I like (parts of) the Australian model where it is mandatory to vote if you are a citizen. Perhaps part of being a citizen should be that you must vote. It won't necessarily change the results though.

TheWombat

First off those vote numbers only show how many old white guys died in the last 4 years, so as a percentage Romney might be higher :p

and... Oh noes, the stock market is down 2%! Really? Our stock market his been bouncing around all over the place for the last 10 years, big deal. Get back to me when it's down 10%.

Um, it IS a big deal, when it is the first time in more than a year that this happened.... as a response to the election results.

If the market was down 2% over the week, it is not a big deal, when it is in a few hours.... HUGE deal. Fundamental change. For once, I am turning positive on gold.

When it looked like Romney was going to win, and thus fix this financial mess, gold and commodities have been selling off as the fear trade was erasing.

Gold is bouncing back, so are gold stocks, and hey... so are gun stocks, S&W is up 10% today, AS A DIRECT RESULT of the elections. People are taking gains and money off of the table as the taxes are going to rape them Jan 1st.

This is a fundamental change in where the economy is going and what sectors and what vehicles investors who are tax averse should be in.

Yew bet yer BEWBS I am looking to minimize risk now & preserve capital. Tax free (or reduced) bawnz, aloha to stocks, sold off quite a bit of it already earlier in the summer. PMs (hard assets, not contracts for tungsten filled junk). Stocks will end down for the year, I think. Once the dollar loses reserve currency status, watch the disaster really begin.

Um, it IS a big deal, when it is the first time in more than a year that this happened.... as a response to the election results.

If the market was down 2% over the week, it is not a big deal, when it is in a few hours.... HUGE deal. Fundamental change. For once, I am turning positive on gold.

When it looked like Romney was going to win, and thus fix this financial mess, gold and commodities have been selling off as the fear trade was erasing.

Gold is bouncing back, so are gold stocks, and hey... so are gun stocks, S&W is up 10% today, AS A DIRECT RESULT of the elections. People are taking gains and money off of the table as the taxes are going to rape them Jan 1st.

This is a fundamental change in where the economy is going and what sectors and what vehicles investors who are tax averse should be in.

Not that bad Matty. =P

I do have an offshore account for you though. lol.

I do see a large increase in sales of large cash value life insurance policies though.

Disclaimer: This is not investment or tax advice, consult your financial professional. Nothing herein is an offer or solicitation to buy or sell.

Anyone ever hear of the "8 stages of Democracy" as written by Alexander F. Tytler? Some scary stuff when you think about it.

Here is an excerpt from Citizen Wells.wordpress.com.: A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

• From bondage to spiritual faith;
  • From spiritual faith to great courage;
  • From courage to liberty;
  • From liberty to abundance;
  • From abundance to complacency;
  • From complacency to apathy;
  • From apathy to dependence;
  • From dependence back into bondage

Anyone care to guess at which stage we are in? :facepalm:

Anyone ever hear of the "8 stages of Democracy" as written by Alexander F. Tytler? Some scary stuff when you think about it.

Here is an excerpt from Citizen Wells.wordpress.com.: A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

• From bondage to spiritual faith;
  • From spiritual faith to great courage;
  • From courage to liberty;
  • From liberty to abundance;
  • From abundance to complacency;
  • From complacency to apathy;
  • From apathy to dependence;
  • From dependence back into bondage

Anyone care to guess at which stage we are in? :facepalm:

This has been floating around the internet for years. It seems less brilliant when you take into account the "stages" were probably written in the past 70 years and definitely NOT written by Tyler, Tytler, etc.

You can read more on snopes or http://www.lorencollins.net/tytler.html

So now what? We are one Supreme Court Justice away from serious problems and this asshat just re-upped for another four years. Any thoughts, there might be as many as three nominations this Marxist may get to make over the next four years.