Wojo

300 Blackout - Thoughts / Experience / Reflections?

TM - good lunch time read. That presentation really solidified it for me.

For the longest time I was hoping someone would come out with a AR-45ACP. I love the 45 round...230 grains of goodness at freight train speeds. This round using a 220g @ subsonic is the closest thing possible. Plus some impressive down range performance. A buddy has a couple of Thompsons. The trajectory on those is like a rainbow because of the poor BC of the 45ACP. Plus, those things are heavy as hell and not much for optics. The Nosler 125 BT's out of my 308 at around 3,100 fps were devastating on deer under 100 yrds. Granted the velocity is going to be much less, but this would be a man stopper.

Another point...My hand loaded Nosler 150's BTs and my 150 Accubonds have an almost identical POI at 200 yards. The idea of having a rapidly expansion bullet and a bone crusher with the same POI is very attractive. Yea, this is going to be fun diving into.

I might just bypass the bolt action idea and order an upper.

TM - good lunch time read. That presentation really solidified it for me.

For the longest time I was hoping someone would come out with a AR-45ACP. I love the 45 round...230 grains of goodness at freight train speeds. This round using a 220g @ subsonic is the closest thing possible. Plus some impressive down range performance.

They are available in .45. That's why MGI makes a grease gun magwell.

Unless things have changed, the AR-45 had a bunch of issues. Trying to get quality NJ compliant mags. IIRC, some of the guys making the mags were far from ISO Certified craftsman. Again, only the barrel being different has me sold.

DS Arms has a fairly inexpensive 300AAC upper ($320)...might have to pick one up to get an opinion on the round. I've been interested in the round since I first heard about it. the interchangeability of mags and bolt makes this a great option basically getting 2 calibers out of the same AR. Any thought on DS Arms? I know they're not an upper tier company but as an inexpensive option to test the round it may not be that bad. Here's the link http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged-7075T6-A3-AR15-Upper-Receiver-300BLK---ZM4CBU300/productinfo/ZM4CBU300/

DS Arms has a fairly inexpensive 300AAC upper ($320)...might have to pick one up to get an opinion on the round.  I've been interested in the round since I first heard about it.  the interchangeability of mags and bolt makes this a great option basically getting 2 calibers out of the same AR.  Any thought on DS Arms?  I know they're not an upper tier company but as an inexpensive option to test the round it may not be that bad.  Here's the link http://www.dsarms.co...info/ZM4CBU300/

I have a short upper with their barrel in 5.56 that I use for BETA dumps, which is obviously hard use.  It is not chrome-lined.  After about 50 BETA dumps the cyclic rate picked up.  After about 100 BETA dumps it runs so fast I have bolt bounce.  But, before my first bolt bounce, I only had two malfunctions.  One was bad feed lips that the bullets fell out of (not the upper's fault) and one I think was a poorly crimped round that set back.So for regular range use it's great.  If you plan to get it glowing hot on a regular basis I would expect the gas port to burn out after about 10,000 rounds.  It's definitely not comparable to a military barrel.

DS Arms has a fairly inexpensive 300AAC upper ($320)...might have to pick one up to get an opinion on the round. I've been interested in the round since I first heard about it. the interchangeability of mags and bolt makes this a great option basically getting 2 calibers out of the same AR. Any thought on DS Arms? I know they're not an upper tier company but as an inexpensive option to test the round it may not be that bad. Here's the link http://www.dsarms.co...info/ZM4CBU300/

Damn, that's in expensive. Not sure to be cautious or just order one. Looking at Spikes they have a stupid lead time and Noveske's are a little out of the budget until the fat man in red makes his appearence.

DS Arms has a good reputation.  I'm just saying it's a sportsman's barrel.  Chrome-molly and not super tough.  Probably much more accurate (I wouldn't know), but it won't last forever under serious abuse. That's probably the case for most AR barrels, but some have better rep than others, and DS Arms is pretty good.

I picked up my SS barrel and compensator from SOTA Arms in MN. Very good price. Web reviews showed them GTG. Shipping was fast. Had parts in hand 15 days after ordering.

I had a supply of upper parts so I just got another lower (NFA G-15) and anything else I needed to make a decent build. I'm trying to finish it tonight or tomorrow. Will load up pics and details ASAP.

Montana Rifleman also makes 300BLK Barrels. I have a friend that lives in Kalispell, Mt and says they build a very good product.

you want a 30 caliber thumper? get an AK

Meh..i'd rather have something that reloadable brass is cheap for, and can use the same components as any ither .30 Cal rifle i have. 7.62X39 uses .311 bullets. Blackout uses standard .308 that my garand, .308, and .300Win Mag also use.

Meh..i'd rather have something that reloadable brass is cheap for, and can use the same components as any ither .30 Cal rifle i have. 7.62X39 uses .311 bullets. Blackout uses standard .308 that my garand, .308, and .300Win Mag also use.

then it makes sense for you

you want a 30 caliber thumper? get an AK

Nothing against AK users - But for anyone who owns an AR already and has spent any amount of time behind one, a 300Blk build is a more ideal solution to " the 30 cal problem" when you consider the desire for same system, same muscle memory, same small parts, same mags, same bolt/carrier, etc....

Nothing against AK users - But for anyone who owns an AR already and has spent any amount of time behind one, a 300Blk build is a more ideal solution to " the 30 cal problem" when you consider the desire for same system, same muscle memory, same small parts, same mags, same bolt/carrier, etc....

then get a 308

300 BLK is a solution to a nonexistant problem. You want lots of ammo? 556. you want lots of umpf? 308. You want to be different? 6.5 or 6.8

you want to spend money on a 30-30 AR? 300BLK

Yer off base there Rachel Ray. A 308 will not give the average user the light weight and fast follow up shots a 300 blk will. Exactly who makes a sub 7lb 308 carbine? Only 1 2 components are is different. The bolt and the barrel. Everything else I own for an ar is still in play and I can swap back and forth for less than the cost of a cheap pos version of an AK. 300 blk solves many problems, some alreay listed. Now I will agree it solves less problems for those of us trapped behind enemy lines in the PR of NJ but over in America, an SBR'd suppressed 300 is a pretty impressive system. But even here in NJ one that will reliably run subs is frankly fun to shoot and would easily be my choice over ANY pistol caliber based carbine rifle platform. The fact I have buckets of 5.56 brass and a lathe means Ive got a ton of reloading components for both.

AK's are something I have zero interest in. Zero. Nadda. Ziltch. As a Cold War veteran and doing EP work, if you are carrying an AK, you are suspect at best, most likely a BG. Fine for uneducated / trained commies, but not for me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk

I thought 300BLK uses the 5.56 bolt? Only thing that's different is the barrel? Pretty neat to be able to spit .30cal projectiles and not lose mag capacity. Even neater is the subsonic stuff is wicked quiet when suppressed. I'm kicking around the idea of building a 300BLK for myself as an early Xmas present...to myself. Adjustable gas block and AAC flash hider on a 14.5" barrel. When I want to shoot suppressed subs, close the gas off and turn the rifle into a bolt gun, nullifying noise escaping from the ejection port.

@Ray I think the 300AAC is a great option. Swap out the uppers and you have a whole new caliber. Plus most 300AAC upper are American made...which is what we should be buying right now. Don't get me wrong I'd like an AK down the road but for under $400 you can basically have two different calibers on a platform I've shot a lot.

@Ray I think the 300AAC is a great option. Swap out the uppers and you have a whole new caliber. Plus most 300AAC upper are American made...which is what we should be buying right now. Don't get me wrong I'd like an AK down the road but for under $400 you can basically have two different calibers on a platform I've shot a lot.

American made but with parts sourced from where? SHOT show is rife with Chinese vendors with entire catalogs of parts for AR15s. They're making everything but lower receivers and they're shipped to the US in mass quantities. Those super cheap uppers and receiver extension kits without any branding or markings could very well be made in China and assembled in the US.

American made but with parts sourced from where? SHOT show is rife with Chinese vendors with entire catalogs of parts for AR15s. They're making everything but lower receivers and they're shipped to the US in mass quantities. Those super cheap uppers and receiver extension kits without any branding or markings could very well be made in China and assembled in the US.

Well considering the site says that all the parts are made in the USA, I'd assume they're not using the Chinese parts.

Well, just ordered 500 Nosler 125g BT's to compliment my existing supply. Every once in a while they have a blemish sale which is worth taking advantage of. Plus 500 180g BT's and AB's for my new Tikka Stainless Hunter with a factory fluted barrel in 30-06. And plan on getting a new lower to take advantage of one NICS charge. Yea, I'm taking the 300 plunge. Not that I 'need' another lower, but I have all these parts laying around to do a complete build for this 300 so why not?