BMWR12

Jackson Township limiting handgun permits

The clerk in my town limits us to 2 permits. I tried to apply for 4 last month. She told me state law limits me to 2. I tried to correct her but she didn't listen. I went with 2 for now. I am not sure how to handle it without being somehow penalized in the future with longer wait times or stuff like losing my paper work.

She is a nice lady, and I hope I can just give her that NJSP letter saying towns can't limit permits and be done with it. We will see.

A couple of weeks before the election I tried to get three. The detective asked me "Do yo really plan to buy three guns? ...because I only have a few forms left. How 'bout two? If I get more forms before these two approvals come back then I'll add another."

......ermmmm, OK I guess...

This was at the Paterson PD. I realize that I am only going to get two PTP's from him this time around and that he was BSing me, but I didn't want to get into it with him. When he finally calls for these two I'll just drop off the paperwork for more when I go to pick these up.

It really is waaaayyyy past time to move to a free state.

The clerk in my town limits us to 2 permits. I tried to apply for 4 last month. She told me state law limits me to 2. I tried to correct her but she didn't listen. I went with 2 for now. I am not sure how to handle it without being somehow penalized in the future with longer wait times or stuff like losing my paper work.

She is a nice lady, and I hope I can just give her that NJSP letter saying towns can't limit permits and be done with it. We will see.

well in that case submit 5 & get renewals. the woman is probably misinformed. ask for an investigator to come down if she refuses to take your application.

Here's an idea:

Ask for 50 permits. If they deny you, which they will, tell them you have 50 handguns that you are acquiring from a few people as you are a collector. If they still deny you, have a few friends fill out the exemption forms for guns that they say you are purchasing. You fill out your exemption form listing all 50 handguns. Submit the forms to your PD and demand the 50 permits. What will they do then? When they issue the permits and the exemption forms are approved, it is then up to you to follow through with the purchase, or not.

:icon_e_wink:

A couple of weeks before the election I tried to get three. The detective asked me "Do yo really plan to buy three guns? ...because I only have a few forms left. How 'bout two? If I get more forms before these two approvals come back then I'll add another."

......ermmmm, OK I guess...

This was at the Paterson PD. I realize that I am only going to get two PTP's from him this time around and that he was BSing me, but I didn't want to get into it with him. When he finally calls for these two I'll just drop off the paperwork for more when I go to pick these up.

It really is waaaayyyy past time to move to a free state.

wow, running out of blank permit forms? that's "original".

it's like telling your date you ran out of gas. that's "original"

Here's an idea:

Ask for 50 permits. If they deny you, which they will, tell them you have 50 handguns that you are acquiring from a few people as you are a collector. If they still deny you, have a few friends fill out the exemption forms for guns that they say you are purchasing. You fill out your exemption form listing all 50 handguns. Submit the forms to your PD and demand the 50 permits. What will they do then? When they issue the permits and the exemption forms are approved, it is then up to you to follow through with the purchase, or not.

:icon_e_wink:

I like your thinking Paul!

They CAN NOT limit the amount of PPP's you apply for, period!

If you are a collector you can buy as many at one time as your wallet can afford, provided the NJSP sign-off on the exemption.

I really get sick and tired of local pd's thinking they run the show...............

Luckily my local pd knows the laws and follows the rules.

and making sure the NJSP sends the exemption form back to the CORRECT PD and not to another!!

I like your thinking Paul!

They CAN NOT limit the amount of PPP's you apply for, period!

If you are a collector you can buy as many at one time as your wallet can afford, provided the NJSP sign-off on the exemption.

I really get sick and tired of local pd's thinking they run the show...............

Luckily my local pd knows the laws and follows the rules.

wow, running out of blank permit forms? that's "original".

it's like telling your date you ran out of gas. that's "original"

With the amount of people buying guns, I find that to be plausible. Believe it or not, most PDs have no problems issuing gun permits to non prohibited persons. And we don't like going through all the paperwork either, but we have no control over what this backwards ass state requires.

I just called jackson spoke to a women and she said no limit they would like you to only apply for 3 due to the fact they are so backed up and cant guarantee an extension.

they can't guarantee an extension?

I was told to just make sure I bring them in a week or so prior to expiration and they'd get the extension done.

I'll be testing this one with the wife's last P2P shortly! (she'll be testing it, I'll be observing)

I have asked many questions to the ladies at the window in Jackson. The answer is always different as long a you ask a different lady. There is no continuity with the permit people. The one thing I have always been told is 3 permits only!! Many different answers to all my other questions, so far I haven't had to get an extension. Good Luck to all the Jackson residents so far my wait time is 2.5 months for Pistol permits.

they can't guarantee an extension?

I was told to just make sure I bring them in a week or so prior to expiration and they'd get the extension done.

I'll be testing this one with the wife's last P2P shortly! (she'll be testing it, I'll be observing)

Wife went yesterday to get the P2P extension. They called her at home 45 minutes later to come pick it up.

So whoever was saying they are not granting extensions, its not true.

Extensions in my township take no more then 30 seconds, walk up to the counter, say I need an extension, she goes to the type writer punches in a new date in your permit ....and done!

There is no magical procedure or paperwork needed done to do this, they are simply denying your rights.

Extensions in my township take no more then 30 seconds, walk up to the counter, say I need an extension, she goes to the type writer punches in a new date in your permit ....and done!

There is no magical procedure or paperwork needed done to do this, they are simply denying your rights.

I love Connie.

The reason you cant get more then 3 permits at a time is simple. In NJ, you can only buy a handgun after 30 days have passed since you last purchase, so that by the time you were allowed to buy the 4th handgun, your permits are expired. I know you can get them extended, but come on, this is NJ, you have to check in with the PD just to insure you get the permits before they expire.

The reason you cant get more then 3 permits at a time is simple. In NJ, you can only buy a handgun after 30 days have passed since you last purchase, so that by the time you were allowed to buy the 4th handgun, your permits are expired. I know you can get them extended, but come on, this is NJ, you have to check in with the PD just to insure you get the permits before they expire.
whatever...if you time It right you can use all 6 with the extensions

Not only are there extensions - which in some (most?) jurisdictions is a simple matter, you also have exemptions for multiple purchases. They do not figure into the 30 days equation, but you do need a permit for each gun you wish to acquire. A number of people on this board have taken advantage of the multiple gun purchase exemption that was written into the OGAM statute.

All of the above is moot due to the fact that local PD's are not allowed to limit the number of permits applied for - you do not need to justify your application.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yes, Bob, but when you push back, they push back and then you will wait to get anything done.

Yes, Bob, but when you push back, they push back and then you will wait to get anything done.

Any punitive measures taken by the PD because you tried to get them to comply with the law would be grounds for a 2C:30-2 Official Misconduct Complaint - file one of those and there will be no pushing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob