MedicYeti

I embarrassed my wife tonight.

I am not saying that they are not fully responsible for their actions. A drunken accident or a kick to the dog would be solely that person's responsibility. I am just saying that the actions you take (whether you feel responsible or not), could result into some unintended consequences. Again, my suggestion would not be to let it slide, but remain in control of the situation, make your point and with a little humor attached, and then move on. Had that action been taken it would not have put a damper on the rest of OP's evening and it would have set an example for his son on how to handle rude people. Meeting rudeness with anger/rudeness back, etc. almost never wins out. All that he might have changed was the delivery of the way that he said it. If he had been as sweet as pie in his delivery, then his wife would not have been angry because she was embarrassed. That's all I am saying. Everyone is responsible for his or her actions. Besides, the OP's only mistake was eating a buffet. How he handled it was OK. It's just humor could have made the point equally as well and then diffused the situation.

My wife went to NC recently and came back with these sayings which sound so nice but really mean, well you can figure it out.

Well i'nt that nice?!? Bless yall's hart!

I would have done the same. I think lack of sympathy for others and lack of accountability are the root of a lot of society's problems today. But if it makes you feel better, my old lady would have been pissed at me too though!

I appreciate Patriot Oak playing devils advocate, thanks.

This morning my wife made an analogy that sunk in. (Our fathers were Navy men). She said "a shot across the bow may have been all that was needed, you opened up with all the really big guns". Ok. I can try to be more subtle, but I don't like to just let things slide.

We were at a fundraiser event in Cape May, in a bar/restaurant. She, our son and I are in the line for the buffet, there were 6-8 people behind us when this woman cut in line between us. I tried to shoulder myself past her without making a scene but that didn't work. My son was walking between us and moved past her to get to me - no mistaking we were together. When it became our turn at the table I said to her "your obviously in more of a hurry then us so please go!" (Wife says I had a lot of attitude in my inflection). This woman then gets defensive "Your making a big deal of this, I just want to get something to eat!" I countered with "I am making a big deal, you cut between my wife and I and in front of 10 other people. My 3 year old understands waiting in line, why don't you?!" With that she stormed off and my wife didn't talk to me for half the evening.

I don't have a problem saying things to people but maybe I'm too willing to say something. I'd think the wife would know this by now.

Would you call the lady out or just let her go, I'm curious what others think.

Tony,,,, So all in all it was a god night huh... :icon_mrgreen:

I hate that sh*t. I think she got away easy...

Usually my line to people like that is: what did you do that's so special for humanity that you don't have to follow the rules of society?

It usually answered with a blank stare...some people are too stupid to know its wrong.

This actually happened while waiting for food in line during my cruise... An older gentleman pretty much elbowed his way in front of my wife as we were up getting food. I said "Excuse me, sir - there's a line." His reply was "Oh I don't want any of that stuff - I'm going for the stuff ahead". I said "So? I don't want any either but I'm waiting patiently like everyone else here"... He ignored me while I continued to lambast him.

My wife was telling me to stop...

I had a really drunk guy do the same thing to my wife while we were on our honeymoon. I told him nicely that there was a line and that he would have to wait his turn like everyone elce. He got all pissed and started yelling at me, I started laughing because he was slurring so bad and he got even more mad and tried to hit me so i pushed him in the pool. Everyone was laughing at him it was funny as hell. The next day we saw him at the bar and he came over and apologised to us. You did the right thing you can never let shit like that go in front of your kids thats almost as bad as teaching them to cut in line your self.

This actually happened while waiting for food in line during my cruise... An older gentleman pretty much elbowed his way in front of my wife as we were up getting food. I said "Excuse me, sir - there's a line." His reply was "Oh I don't want any of that stuff - I'm going for the stuff ahead". I said "So? I don't want any either but I'm waiting patiently like everyone else here"... He ignored me while I continued to lambast him.

My wife was telling me to stop...

I don't see anything wrong with advancing in a buffet-type line where someone only wants what is past the person(s) who's hold up the line getting food. It's more efficient that way and actually allows the line to move quicker. I don't understand the thinking that a guy should have to wait for person-A who is getting something that person-B does not want and simply advances to the item further up in the line that he desires. Maybe I'm missing something.

I don't see anything wrong with advancing in a buffet-type line where someone only wants what is past the person(s) who's hold up the line getting food. It's more efficient that way and actually allows the line to move quicker. I don't understand the thinking that a guy should have to wait for person-A who is getting something that person-B does not want and simply advances to the item further up in the line that he desires. Maybe I'm missing something.

We were waiting in line patiently - she was getting stuff - there was no holdup or no gap in the line - he just basically pushed his way in. THAT was my problem.

A minute later, a kid wanted to grab something - his dad said "Say 'excuse me' and they'll let you in". The kid did so, and we let him grab what he wanted. I said very loudly so the guy could hear - "Thank you for having some manners" :D

We were waiting in line patiently - she was getting stuff - there was no holdup or no gap in the line - he just basically pushed his way in. THAT was my problem.

A minute later, a kid wanted to grab something - his dad said "Say 'excuse me' and they'll let you in". The kid did so, and we let him grab what he wanted. I said very loudly so the guy could hear - "Thank you for having some manners" :D

I agree. That's an issue for sure.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

After reading through the replies, I think the best way to handle this situation is to combine everyones ideas. Have one person politely inform them of their ill manners, while another person berates the crap out of them. This is followed up with a stern lecture. All of this is done loudly enough for other to hear and embarrass them. Lastly, before they leave, you trip them. If there is a pool near by, you push them in.

I think that would do well to get your point across.

I did something similar to some ass at McDonalds. I was sitting at a red light trying to make a right turn and this douche is flashing his lights and honking at me to hurry up. So i make the turn, pull in the parking lot and I see him pulling in as well. I get into the store, get on line and he ends up behind me. So i make sure to have him and his entire family go in front, emphasizing that he was in such a hurry at the light, it would only be right to go ahead.

After him saying "no no no,....its OK!" i said "remember, you're the one in the rush go ahead."

I did something similar to some ass at McDonalds. I was sitting at a red light trying to make a right turn and this douche is flashing his lights and honking at me to hurry up. So i make the turn, pull in the parking lot and I see him pulling in as well. I get into the store, get on line and he ends up behind me. So i make sure to have him and his entire family go in front, emphasizing that he was in such a hurry at the light, it would only be right to go ahead.

After him saying "no no no,....its OK!" i said "remember, you're the one in the rush go ahead."

Yep. I find myself in situations like that more than you'd think. My biggest issues seems to be with people (man and woman alike) that can't thank you for holding the door for them. For whatever reason, woman have been getting worse over the years in not thanking someone for holding the door for them. I guess they think it's something they deserve or something. Who knows. When this happens (and it happens several times a week), I just say "your welcome" in a somewhat loud voice. They turn and look and usually keep walking. Sometimes they'll turn and say, "i didn't say anything" and I'll say "you're exactly right and that was my point".

I make it a point to speak up politely in front of my kids. I would aslo make it a point if the situation need to desculate , to do so .

We were at Jenkinson's over the summer , on line for the twister coaster they had. We were first in line to get on the next ride. A little blonde haired girl was right behind us , and she taps my daughter ( they were both about 6 ) on the shoulder and boldly inform her that she can pick any other car except the first one because SHE would be getting that car. My daughter looks at me ..I look back at the child's mother who just shrugs and smiles as if I am suppose to think her little tyrant is just the cutest and spunkiest thing. I look to the little girl and said we are ahead of you in line , so we get to pick a car before you do. Long story short , the mother , instead of taking the opportunity to teach her kid about turns , is actually coaching her to try and push ahead of us when the guy opens the gate. I just kept my back to her..was not going to engage. When the guy came to take the tickets and open the gate , I stopped him , told him the little girl behind was intending to cut in front of my child to get the front car. He said no little kids in the front car anyway..but he did make her choose a car AFTER we did. We picked the second car to make a point. The mother told ME to grow up on the way by . I just smiled at her and waved. I doubt that incident will change anything in their lives , but it did set a precedent in OUR lives and that was to teach my daughter to not let anyone walk all over you , and to conduct yourself with dignity and ask for help from authority when needed. I can't control if that lady goes and kicks her dog or goes on a bender. If my sticking up for myself and my child can cause that , then she is going to do it anyway. I'm not letting my daughter see me or herslef bullied , for any reason. It sets a tone.

I make it a point to speak up politely in front of my kids. I would aslo make it a point if the situation need to desculate , to do so .

We were at Jenkinson's over the summer , on line for the twister coaster they had. We were first in line to get on the next ride. A little blonde haired girl was right behind us , and she taps my daughter ( they were both about 6 ) on the shoulder and boldly inform her that she can pick any other car except the first one because SHE would be getting that car. My daughter looks at me ..I look back at the child's mother who just shrugs and smiles as if I am suppose to think her little tyrant is just the cutest and spunkiest thing. I look to the little girl and said we are ahead of you in line , so we get to pick a car before you do. Long story short , the mother , instead of taking the opportunity to teach her kid about turns , is actually coaching her to try and push ahead of us when the guy opens the gate. I just kept my back to her..was not going to engage. When the guy came to take the tickets and open the gate , I stopped him , told him the little girl behind was intending to cut in front of my child to get the front car. He said no little kids in the front car anyway..but he did make her choose a car AFTER we did. We picked the second car to make a point. The mother told ME to grow up on the way by . I just smiled at her and waved. I doubt that incident will change anything in their lives , but it did set a precedent in OUR lives and that was to teach my daughter to not let anyone walk all over you , and to conduct yourself with dignity and ask for help from authority when needed. I can't control if that lady goes and kicks her dog or goes on a bender. If my sticking up for myself and my child can cause that , then she is going to do it anyway. I'm not letting my daughter see me or herslef bullied , for any reason. It sets a tone.

Great story. You did well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2