Recon Racoon

Strangest claims you've heard about NJ Gun Laws

So I'm pretty sure we've heard some outrageous claims about gun laws here. I mean this is New Jersey, and the state by itself is...well outrageous. But what are the outstanding moments for you? What takes the cake for outrageous?

My addition:

Working on the counter one night, ringing people up. Hear two guys talking about guns, and going to the range. Strike up a conversation with them, talking about guns. Tell the one guy I'd really like to have an SBR and suppressed but they're a no go in NJ. He looks at me with the most serious face and says

"Buy one dude, totally legal in NJ. You can even get a suppressor too. I don't know why you think they're illegal, but you're information is wrong."

So NJGF, what outrageous claims have you heard?

That guy was an idiot!

He probably doesn't even know what a FID card is!

I remember a trooper buddy of mine telling me if I found a pistol in the woods, it is mine. As long as I had a FID card.

Just take it home, clean it, and consider yourself lucky. No register needed since NJ is voluntary.

Always wondered if that was true..

He knows his shit too.

hmm

Friend thought you could noyown a gun in Jersey unless your a leo, military or hunt. I said oh really where did you read that he said its the law so i took him to the gun shop which i had plans to buy something and picked up a bushmaster ar15 think my friend almost had a heart attack

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Not NJ but related since my Florida CCW spawned the topic. Talking to a guy about how you don't need a license to open carry in PA and he was like no dude only revolvers you can do that with. *facepalm* Since when do any carry laws differentiate the two lol ....

Friend thought you could noyown a gun in Jersey unless your a leo, military or hunt. I said oh really where did you read that he said its the law so i took him to the gun shop which i had plans to buy something and picked up a bushmaster ar15 think my friend almost had a heart attack

For a while, I thought you couldn't buy guns in NJ. That was way before I found this site, or before I even graduated high school.

For a while, I thought you couldn't buy guns in NJ. That was way before I found this site, or before I even graduated high school.

In high school we had a state trooper that worked in the school he gave me the paperwork to fill out for my FIDsince he was from the barracks that serve my town

Want to hear something ridiculous? I was told that in an attempt to keep criminals from amassing large amounts of guns, legal owners are only allowed to purchased one handgun a month.....wait, that's true. Never mind.

Lol that made me laugh it is ridiculous though

A police officer friend of mine came over for dinner. He wanted to see what I had and said that if he pulled me over with the WASR 10, he would arrest me because it was illegal. Doesn't matter how it was being transported, he said I would be in cuffs.

It's a shame the people supposedly protecting us have such lack of knowledge on such matters.

That guy was an idiot!

He probably doesn't even know what a FID card is!

I remember a trooper buddy of mine telling me if I found a pistol in the woods, it is mine. As long as I had a FID card.

Just take it home, clean it, and consider yourself lucky. No register needed since NJ is voluntary.

Always wondered if that was true..

He knows his shit too.

hmm

Theft of property LOST, Mislaid, or Delivered by Mistake...Troop was correct about the registration part, wrong about the Keeping it without possible repercussions

I was told by a local FFL that "flash hiders are illegal" so said his "trooper buddy who works in the firearms div. of SP." Then had it repeated to me by an employee at RTSP.

They are...on a Semiautomatic, Detachable magazine-fed rifle, with a Pistol Grip..and actually, to be completely compliant, a Standard A-2 Flash hider REALLY counts as TWO "Evil Features" since it is also meant to be used as a Grenade Launcher for Rifle Grenades..as can any 22mm Flash Hider

They are...on a Semiautomatic, Detachable magazine-fed rifle, with a Pistol Grip..and actually, to be completely compliant, a Standard A-2 Flash hider REALLY counts as TWO "Evil Features" since it is also meant to be used as a Grenade Launcher for Rifle Grenades..as can any 22mm Flash Hider

i think it was more of a general statement. Its an AWB feature yeah, but i can still own a flash hider considering none of our compliant rifle barrels are threaded for use with non-evil rifles.

I would be going straight to jail if I got pulled over with a rifle cased and unloaded and I wasn't heading directly to the range-by the detective who issued me my FID. Nice guy and I didn't argue with him.

Rifles are registered.

Hollowpoints illegal, etc.

Not NJ but related since my Florida CCW spawned the topic.  Talking to a guy about how you don't need a license to open carry in PA and he was like no dude only revolvers you can do that with.  *facepalm* Since when do any carry laws differentiate the two lol ....

Texas does.