Spartiati

Chrisite on 101.5 - Opinion on Connecticutt Shooting

Christie gave a great analysis on the types of things we need to look into with regard to incidents like these, starting with removing the stigma of seeking medical attention for mental health issues. Second the impact on violent video games and their impact on desensitizing kids to violence. Lasty a very brief mention on gun control laws already on the books and only after the host asked about gun control.

He also mentioned we would be disillusioned if we think anyone thing will solve this and if anything at all woud 100% prevent someone who woud sacrifice their own life from killing a bunch of people.

Thought it was well articulated.

Again with the video games...such a stupid argument. Yet if it's such a problem why is their no video game ban

I'm curious as to which part of the video game argument you don't like? I'm conflicted on the video game thing because I do believe it causes desensitization to violence but more importantly some of these games are basically training for tactical engagements. I've heard some video games have been used in military training because they are so life like.

Would this type of stuff affect an otherwise normal person? No but as risk factors accumulate I can't see how they help. I'm not advocating a ban or even limiting games. However, it should be studied and if it is a factor, one of many, that knowledge can be used by professionals when dealing with people they think are "at risk" so to speak.

I grew up on these violent video games such as Mortal Kombat, Grand Theft Auto, and Postal to name a few, but I don't have any sadistic tendencies. Maybe because when I ever got out of line my parents would firmly wedge their foot up my ass. They made sure I know the diff between right and wrong. Is it that parents might be getting a little to laid back and expect TV and other so called things to raise their children now a days?

Interesting thing I've read about video games...after 2 hours of playing children experience a "high" akin to an adult doing cocaine. I think video games aren't necessarily the cause but there is something wrong with kids under a certain age playing games like Call of Duty that are designed for adults. Seriously 8 and 9 year olds playing a game in which the goal is to run around and kill as many people as quickly as possible. Nothing wrong with adults playing those types of games just not little kids.

Interesting thing I've read about video games...after 2 hours of playing children experience a "high" akin to an adult doing cocaine. I think video games aren't necessarily the cause but there is something wrong with kids under a certain age playing games like Call of Duty that are designed for adults. Seriously 8 and 9 year olds playing a game in which the goal is to run around and kill as many people as quickly as possible. Nothing wrong with adults playing those types of games just not little kids.

Multiple factors I think was his message. Agree don't need a ban on video games like this, but parents need to take responsibiity and determine when and if it is appropriate for their children rather than let them spend their entire youth locked up in basement playing these things. I was happy his focus wasn't concentrated on infringing on 2A rights.

I think video games aren't necessarily the cause but there is something wrong with kids under a certain age playing games like Call of Duty that are designed for adults. Seriously 8 and 9 year olds playing a game in which the goal is to run around and kill as many people as quickly as possible. Nothing wrong with adults playing those types of games just not little kids.

And again this falls back to lack of parental supervision. Those games are rated for mature older players. Call of Duty is rated M for mature audiences (17 yo and over) and is not to be sold to minors.

Having played plenty of violent games, I don't think they are a problem by themselves, but take someone who is borderline, have their parents ignore them and be ok with the kid locking himself in a room doing nothing but shooting people in the face. and you are going to end up with some problems. We have age ratings on these games but we ignore them. Maybe we shouldn't.

On another note, keep sending letters to the Christie, maybe they help.

Again with the video games...such a stupid argument. Yet if it's such a problem why is their no video game ban

+1 if a person is so disillusioned to think it's OK to do whats on a video game, or tv or movies for that matter, there is a much larger underlying issue.

Do I think any child should play any video game? No. Try parenting your kid and saying "no" once in a while.

I would like to know, personally, if there is some pharmaceutical through line with these cases. Lanza ws on anti psychotics. He was probably also on SSRIs. We know that Jared loughner is schizophrenic. We're any of these guys either coming on or coming off psychotropic meds? Nd if so, should there be some mandatory monitoring either on m inpatient basis or close outpatient t basis? I played my wy through very violent video games. I didn't become psychotic. But I was also never medicated.

Do you actually mean I can't go buy a BFG like Serious Sam uses? Yes, that is my FAVORITE video game of all time! He doesn't get to shoot people, just aliens and other ficticious creatures on other planets, real life-like.....................

I do agree though that video games are a problem. This applies to children and adults alike. I don't think that many will think killing another person is ok or cool, or that if they really screw-up they can re-laod their last "saved game" and try again. People get far too immersed in this stuff and become socially inactive. Facebook, Twitter, and the such are just as bad for people. You need to get out in the real world and deal with people face to face.

I grew up on these violent video games such as Mortal Kombat, Grand Theft Auto, and Postal to name a few, but I don't have any sadistic tendencies. Maybe because when I ever got out of line my parents would firmly wedge their foot up my ass. They made sure I know the diff between right and wrong. Is it that parents might be getting a little to laid back and expect TV and other so called things to raise their children now a days?

Sounds right.

I think games like Call of Duty are more likely to desensitize those pre-disposed compared to those other gory but unrealistic games. My gut tells me the games that let you act out violent tendencies in a realistic manner are the ones that are most dangerous.

Don't think it is realistic to depend on the entertainment industry (or pharma industry for that matter) to make any changes on their end. Everything comes back to parenting which requires more time and involvement than most working adults can (will?) provide these days

I would like to know, personally, if there is some pharmaceutical through line with these cases. Lanza ws on anti psychotics. He was probably also on SSRIs. We know that Jared loughner is schizophrenic. We're any of these guys either coming on or coming off psychotropic meds? Nd if so, should there be some mandatory monitoring either on m inpatient basis or close outpatient t basis? I played my wy through very violent video games. I didn't become psychotic. But I was also never medicated.

+1 although I have to say video games are a lot different and more realistic than when we were kids.

Blame it on a society that medicates every problem instead of standing up to it and slapping it in the f ing mouth.

I'd love to say that method works, but it doesn't on everyone. I do totally agree that people think a med will cure most issues, but as we all know, this isn't always the correct course of action. I do see far too many people put on meds that should be treated in other methods, and yes, sometimes a swift kick to the butt is one of them!

They are almost always medicated according to reports. The crazy thing is that these SSRIs have side effects of suicide and violence when not prescribed correctly, problems also happen if they stop taking them abruptly. I was just reading an article on it, will look for the link.

Edit: This was one of the articles. I don't know much about the publishing organization CCHR Florida.

http://www.cchrflorida.org/blog/antidepressants-are-a-prescription-for-mass-shootings/

(IMHO) A lot of people play (or have played D&D type games) but you don't see many people running around with swords and axes trying to kill people because it is easily identified as fantasy. Games like D&D take place in a fantasy world using ancient weapons or magic, whereas the settings for games such as Call of Duty etc. are set in modern times with modern weapons. Therefore it becomes hard for young minds to separate fantasy and reality. Perhaps they should restrict games which simulate modern warfare to the age of 21+ with an exemption for persons under the age of 21 who are serving or who have served in the military.

No ban because you have a 1A right to play them.

I think for the vast majority of people, violent video games will have no lasting affect on them because they can differentiate what's real and what's fantasy. The problem is with those few people who suffer from mental health issues and these video games do contribute to them to acting violently (along with many other factors). This comes down to a mental health failure.

(IMHO) A lot of people play (or have played D&D type games) but you don't see many people running around with swords and axes trying to kill people because it is easily identified as fantasy. Games like D&D take place in a fantasy world using ancient weapons or magic, whereas the settings for games such as Call of Duty etc. are set in modern times with modern weapons. Therefore it becomes hard for young minds to separate fantasy and reality. Perhaps they should restrict games which simulate modern warfare to the age of 21+ with an exemption for persons under the age of 21 who are serving or who have served in the military.

I appreciate why you're saying but I think it is bunk. They said similar things about motion picture and radio and television. Now it is the Internet and video games turning you g minds to mush while desensitizing them to sex and violence.

There is something WRONG with the mind of a spree killer. Either they are inherently criminally insane or there is some catalyst bringing about violent psychosis. My speculation is that catalyst is either environmental or a drug. But I don't believe any moreso tht call of duty turns teenagers into mindless killers any more than twinkies made Dan White a murderer.

Yeah, my thought is that meds must be playing a role here. None of Lanza's mental health issues are known to cause violence in themselves.

Couldn't it just be that his brain was squirming like a toad and that's why he was on the meds?

People with aspergers can have violent outbursts. They are a result of an inability to cope with social interaction, some sensory stimuli or finding things complex that a neuro typical person would find mundane.

But these outbursts as fr as I know are usually immediate and directly connected to the moment. What these spree killers are doing is not a sudden break of violence. It takes planning. It requires a systemic paranoia. And a complete psychotic break. The anti gunners are making a decision that the common thread between these shooting is the presence of firearms. What seems undeniable is that psychotropics are also a common thread.

Violent video games are MA-17. If a 10 year old is being brainwashed by them.... i think i know who to blame, and its not the video game... same goes for movies.

Parents are quickly becoming their children's own worst enemy...I'm sure you see it as much as I do

sitting on your ass and clicking your fingers is nothing like training for combat.

Years ago I was part of some CQB training with my Army Reserve unit with the 101st airborne giving the class. A kid started sidestepping as he was attacking and the guy was like "What the fugg is that?" The kid told him he was "straffing" and I had him explain to our teacher that this was a video game tactic. This 101 abn guy went straright to the CO and they pulled all our video games from the barracks saying "that stuff will get you killed."

Younger generation guy here. There is CLEAR evidence that suggests video games have NO long-term impacts on adolescent behavior. Anyone who suggests that these games directly contribute to violence in kids are no better than those who suggests that guns cause mass shootings. Period. This issue was closed a decade ago.

It's a matter of degree. If a kid has fun playing a video game, even a violent one (assuming the kid is of an appropriate age), that's fine, for an hour, maybe two. But is he sitting there, isolated, alone in his room for hours on end, is the game played constantly? Same for TV. Also, no kid should be allowed to have a TV or uncontrolled/unmonitored access to a computer in their bedroom. There is too much garbage and sickness online.

Kids need to socialize, to be outside, to get involved in sports or other activities if they aren't athletically inclined, to have their parents actively involved in their lives. Hopefully to have some religious or spiritual component in their lives. To be given a celar sense of responsibility -- chores to do -- and a clear sense of right and wrong, with swift, uncompromising, serious consequences if they choose wrong. Too many parents us TV, computers and video games as babysitters rather than taking an active role in their kids' lives.