Sign in to follow this  
rightisright

Good article on why there WON'T be a new AWB or major assault on gun rights

So, the dems will PRETEND to REALLY WANT an AWB, and then instead, DON'T actually push it, so they can blame the republicans for death and destruction.

Believe it or not, I'll take that. I'm not a republican anymore anyway.

If Obama really wanted change, do you think he'd put a buffoon like Biden in charge of the task force?

Granted, he's a buffoon - but you people seem to forget that he was the author of the original 1994 AWB. Of course he plagerized most of that from NJ's AWB, but still, don't underestimate Joe.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It's a good article and makes me happy inside. However, I wouldn't underestimate our highest and exalted commander in cheif just yet. I'd like to see how it will play out. Let me re-phrase that... I hope there is no play out at all, however I feel that we need to be very vigilant for the next 6-7 months as almost anything can come up. He's pushing for actions by the new year. Let's see if anyone remembers what happened and if there is still momentum.

C

I wonder if all the ridiculously heightened anti-GUN (not anti-violence) press since the CT shooting was actually a "feeler", a "test" of sorts... to see how the American people would react to more gun control... if the empty racks and shelves are any indication... not to mention the increase in gun sales since Obama was elected the first time.... gun ownership seems to be RISING these days, if anything...

So maybe, they floated it, they got the response, and have now decided to use it as a political weapon against the republicans and the tea party instead of a weapon against the American people. As I said, I'll take that.

HOWEVER- I ain't countin' the chickens yet...

Democrats need to act tough, but know gun owners have longer memories than those who support gun control. They learned in the 1990s what happened when they went this route, they're not eager to repeat that. OTOH, they also need to pretend to do stuff.

Great article!

That is good news, perhaps the Reps might not push it but Obama could get cute as try an end-around as stated in this this recent post. Unfortunately that is not new and I heard that one kicked around well before the last week's tragic event

Edit:rightisright beat me to it

Its nice in theory. And I am not a doom and gloomer but...I have been at this a pretty long time and I have never seen such a ground swell! It concerns me that those perpetrating the "feint" might start to get the idea they can really do it this time. Blind to the fact that the entire god damn internet beeing sold out of AR's and Ammo is the voice of a silent majority over the loud, boisterously calouse minority voice of the gun grabbers.

Its nice in theory. And I am not a doom and gloomer but...I have been at this a pretty long time and I have never seen such a ground swell! It concerns me that those perpetrating the "feint" might start to get the idea they can really do it this time. Blind to the fact that the entire god damn internet beeing sold out of AR's and Ammo is the voice of a silent majority over the loud, boisterously calouse minority voice of the gun grabbers.

It is a perfect storm of The Internet, the 24 hour news Cycle and now Social Media. The groundswell is fabricated. That is not to say I think nothing will happen. however, our system of government continues to function for good or ill, the same as it did last week. The politics of gun rights haven't changed. Democrats in pro-gun districts will suffer if they support a ban. The question is whether they will suffer enough that it isn't worth hedging their bet.

Granted, he's a buffoon - but you people seem to forget that he was the author of the original 1994 AWB. Of course he plagerized most of that from NJ's AWB, but still, don't underestimate Joe.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Probably had the same spelling and grammatical errors in it too. If it had been a couple decades earlier it would have been a lot shorter and all uppercase since he would have copied it with a typewriter. While wearing comically large reading glasses I imagine.

Right now our best change at this losing steam is the fiscal cliff disaster. The one thing politicians care about more than gun control is money

I was actually thinking about that last night, and believe it or not, my wife picked up on it minutes after the speech. She pointed out how quick the media switched topics on Obama. The majority of the coverage I've seen today has been concerning the fiscal cliff and I'm also very curious to see how this plays out.

I guess we can only hope.

Now is our time to stay vigilant.

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/12/20/and-cut/

[text from the above blog post]

And Cut…

It seems the news cycle for the Newtown tragedy has played out. As if on cue, the President appoints a special commission to make recommendations for additional gun control targeting so-called assault weapons and the 24 hour news coverage surrounding the tragic murder of 27 in Newtown, Connecticut last Friday abruptly ends. There’s definitely an agenda at play. For some it’s a desire to ban guns, but for others it’s all about ratings. Shock and awe isn’t just about invading a country. It’s about captivating and manipulating an audience.

Now that the propaganda and demonizing has died down, we can begin to learn the truth of what happened and consider some real solutions. For example, we are unsure of the shooter’s state of mind. Despite wild aspersions by the news media, we have no idea if violent video games played a role in the tragedy and we continue to see conflicting reports on what weapons the killer actually used. The last one is most perplexing considering the horrific event was almost a week ago.

I look at this issue as bigger than gun violence and I encourage all of you to do so as well. Over the next month we will begin to see facts emerge. Hopefully, no matter what they turn out to be, they will help guide a substantive dialogue regarding these tragedies as the Nation works toward a set of solutions.

Probably had the same spelling and grammatical errors in it too. If it had been a couple decades earlier it would have been a lot shorter and all uppercase since he would have copied it with a typewriter. While wearing comically large reading glasses I imagine.

I didn't realize that many folks still remember Joe's little run-in with the plagiarism unpleasantness some years back, LOL

He mentioned the reporters asking about the fiscal cliff during his news conference and I remember hearing it and saying, wow. I didn't hear any questions about gun control, just about the economy. That gave me hope, but it's better to be safe than sorry. STOCK UP

I would be concerned that the Pres is going to attack guns to make it look like his administration is doing something in order to distract from the fiscal cliff.

I think both parties in their hearts know we need to go over the cliff. Our country has collapsed. We need both increased revenue and decreased expenditures. Both parties hammered out the cliff deal, and I am inclined to think that they have agreed that we should all ride over it while they pretend to work on a solution. They can conveniently blame each other thereby effectively diffusing responsibility.

Since Obama is going to take one on the chin for the cliff, he can use a big weapons ban to cheer up his constituents.