deadeye74

NJ Bills Sitting In The Law And Public Safety Comittee

Just a few things to keep an eye on:

ACR63 Urges President and Congress of United States to enact assault weapons ban including prohibition against large capacity ammunition feeding devices

AR38 Condemns National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011's inherent violation of principal state's rights.

AR84 Urges Congress to enact certain gun control measures.

S810 Clarifies that "airsoft" guns are firearms

A3645 Requires ammunition sales and transfers be conducted as face-to-face transactions. (No text available on the web site for this bill)

A1673, S1278 Establishes "gun-free" and "weapon-free" zones around certain school and public properties.

S1705 Permits municipalities to establish weapons free zones around schools and public facilities.

I'm trying to keep an eye out for movement on these. Could not hurt to write your officials and let them know what you think!

A3645 Requires ammunition sales and transfers be conducted as face-to-face transactions

This would be a killer, I buy all my ammo online, so much cheaper.

do other states have to follow NJ law?

do other states have to follow NJ law?

There are retailers out there already who refuse to sell stuff to us here in nj..Sportsman's Guide for instance will not sell ANYTHING for an AR..including SIGHTS..Some are refusing ammo sales because they dont want to bother with the FID card issues

A1673, S1278 Establishes "gun-free" and "weapon-free" zones around certain school and public properties.

These won't really go any where. 1995 SCOTUS heard a case involving the Commerce Clause and Gun Free School Zones. SCOTUS determined that creating those, based on the Commerce Clause was out of Congresses power, and was a direct abuse of the Commerce Clause. Us V Lopez is the case.

I'm not saying this legislation would be the same, but there is already jurisprudence on the whole gun free school zone thing.

There are retailers out there already who refuse to sell stuff to us here in nj..Sportsman's Guide for instance will not sell ANYTHING for an AR..including SIGHTS..Some are refusing ammo sales because they dont want to bother with the FID card issues

what i meant was, does another state have to follow NJ law? like shipping ammo?

[/font][/color]

These won't really go any where. 1995 SCOTUS heard a case involving the Commerce Clause and Gun Free School Zones. SCOTUS determined that creating those, based on the Commerce Clause was out of Congresses power, and was a direct abuse of the Commerce Clause. Us V Lopez is the case.

I'm not saying this legislation would be the same, but there is already jurisprudence on the whole gun free school zone thing.

Thought we already had gun free zones in NJ around schools?

I would assume the shipper doesn't have to but the receiver does. However its a gray area, most likely, that know one wants to be in.

A3645 Requires ammunition sales and transfers be conducted as face-to-face transactions

This would be a killer, I buy all my ammo online, so much cheaper.

Screw these shitbags. Ill have all my ammo sent to my relatives in PA and pick up my Costco sized buy in bulk ammo purchases.

Probably not, but NJ will threaten to sue them (which they are doing already now, by insisting buyers have FID cards), which will get them to stop shipping here.

Probably not, but NJ will threaten to sue them (which they are doing already now, by insisting buyers have FID cards), which will get them to stop shipping here.

It most certainly will effect NJ. If the law states face to face sales and you take delivery of the ammo, you have broken the law. If a company ships you ammo, they are in violation of the law. It's why companies won't ship large capacity magazines to NJ addresses.

It most certainly will effect NJ. If the law states face to face sales and you take delivery of the ammo, you have broken the law. If a company ships you ammo, they are in violation of the law. It's why companies won't ship large capacity magazines to NJ addresses.

It would depend on how the law is written. If the onus is only on the seller to do only FTF ammo sales, then NJ law will not apply to them outside of NJ, at least directly, and a buyer could not be charged. If the law is written to prohibit anyone from receiving ammo in a way other than FTF, the buyer could certainly be charged.

Companies are not prohibited by law from shipping hi cap mags to NJ, what would they be charged with? NJ does not have any authority to charge anyone criminally for business conducted outside NJ. These companies won't ship them because the state has threatened to sue them if they do.

It would depend on how the law is written. If the onus is only on the seller to do only FTF ammo sales, then NJ law will not apply to them outside of NJ, at least directly, and a buyer could not be charged. If the law is written to prohibit anyone from receiving ammo in a way other than FTF, the buyer could certainly be charged.

Companies are not prohibited by law from shipping hi cap mags to NJ, what would they be charged with? NJ does not have any authority to charge anyone criminally for business conducted outside NJ. These companies won't ship them because the state has threatened to sue them if they do.

Forgive my ignorance, but when the term "state threatens to sue" comes up, does that state seek to receive a financial reimbursement from the retailer, or are they looking to throw someone in jail?

If a retailer shipped a 20, 30, or whatever size magazine to a person in NJ, am I wrong in saying that the only way anyone would find out was if the buyer was caught and confessed or the state somehow seemed to subpoena the sales records from the company? The latter seems a bit far fetched unless big brother has his eye on you.