mattio41

NY 7 Round Mags (Bill 2230) - Merged Threads

I posted about the proposed 7 round magazine limit last week and got slammed for it with comments like "don't believe everything you read on the internet" and "don't be a defeatist." The problem is that most people on this forum and many gun rights advocates seem to have the intellectual capacity of fifth graders. Based on the inane discussions here ("maybe the gun manufacturers will produce 7 round magazines", as if that matters now) and egregious spelling errors I'd bet that many of the people here barely made it out of high school. I'm sick of it.

If you believe that this "can't happen in NJ" because Christie won't sign it you are an idiot. Christie is no Cuomo, but with this legislation passed in NY there will be huge pressure to get something similar done here. At the very least it exponentially increases the likelihood of a 10 round magazine limit with no grandfathering. And again, for those of you who think that lack of grandfathering implicates the prohibition on ex post facto laws, you are wrong.

Part of the problem is the "what part of infringe don't you understand" crowd. That is a simplitic and ineffective argument. By opposing everything, by refusing to even discuss the substance of proposed legislation and reflexively falling back on "but the Constitution says..." we lose the opportunity to argue from a standpoint of simple common sense and fairness. As soon as Cuomo announced his proposed gun control package, the focus should have been squarely and solely on the 7 round mag limit because there is no rational basis behind it and it is a thinly disguised gun ban. Agreeing with or at least not contesting part of the package and focusing on the aspect that is far and away the most harmful to our cause would have focused attention on that issue and maybe -- maybe -- given Republican legilstors some cover in opposing it and prehaps reaching a compromise.

I posted about the proposed 7 round magazine limit last week and got slammed for it with comments like "don't believe everything you read on the internet" and "don't be a defeatist." The problem is that most people on this forum and many gun rights advocates seem to have the intellectual capacity of fifth graders. Based on the inane discussions here ("maybe the gun manufacturers will produce 7 round magazines", as if that matters now) and egregious spelling errors I'd bet that many of the people here barely made it out of high school. I'm sick of it.

If you believe that this "can't happen in NJ" because Christie won't sign it you are an idiot. Christie is no Cuomo, but with this legislation passed in NY there will be huge pressure to get something similar done here. At the very least it exponentially increases the likelihood of a 10 round magazine limit with no grandfathering. And again, for those of you who think that lack of grandfathering implicates the prohibition on ex post facto laws, you are wrong.

Part of the problem is the "what part of infringe don't you understand" crowd. That is a simplitic and ineffective argument. By opposing everything, by refusing to even discuss the substance of proposed legislation and reflexively falling back on "but the Constitution says..." we lose the opportunity to argue from a standpoint of simple common sense and fairness. As soon as Cuomo announced his proposed gun control package, the focus should have been squarely and solely on the 7 round mag limit because there is no rational basis behind it and it is a thinly disguised gun ban. Agreeing with or at least not contesting part of the package and focusing on the aspect that is far and away the most harmful to our cause would have focused attention on that issue and maybe -- maybe -- given Republican legilstors some cover in opposing it and prehaps reaching a compromise.

you are right. NY NJ MA CA HI are liberal states. We may see a reduction in our capacity in NJ from 15 to 10. Bet on the liberals "trying" to push it through.

The war of words is coming to a close. That only leaves the other kind of war.

There are some scary hillbilly motherfuckers up there around albany that already dont care...

Everyone CALL the assembly # today!

Put the pressure on them maybe just maybe we can help stop this today!

heres the only # i could find

Assembly Public Information Office at (518) 455-4218

Screw it hammer anything !

Yes, and that has been ongoing for awhile now, at least the last 2 elections, but truthfully even before that with George W.

That's why I am no longer a republican. I'm a CONSERVATIVE. And a Re-Founder. And a Constitutionalist. But not a republican. I didn't leave my party, my party left me.

Same here, although I took the red pill and I'm a little more radical towards the libertarian side of things. I don't drink (bar/club every night/week religiously kind of drink, I only have a vodka or whiskey every now and then at a party or with a cigar casually kind of thing), I don't smoke (except the occasional cigar once every month or two), never tried a single recreational drug in my life, I don’t have millions of dollars to hoard or hide etc. I'm about as boring as it gets at 40+ something so I have no personal vested interests in deregulating such things other than I’m tired of our government forcing us to pay people to tell us what is good and bad for us. I vehemently oppose our government meddling in people's affairs with such matters other than severe consequences for the harmful results of their abuses and even then only at the state level. The sovereign states have more leeway constitutionally to restrict things of this nature but federally the government has absolutely no authority outside of ensuring the states trade freely and consistently with one another (i.e. the true intent of regulating commerce) in such matters concerning a “free people”. One of the reasons I clicked with Ron Paul was his firm stance on personal freedoms and his desire to start slashing the ABC agencies within the federal government to further those freedoms. From the Agriculture Department to the Women's Bureau of the Labor Department 90% of the crap our benevolent federal government spends far too much of our money on each year is all extraconstitutional BS.

Couple egregious spelling errors below there, goombah. Maybe that HS diploma you got isn't a true measure of your intellect, or lack thereof. Sorry, I am with the Not One More Inch crowd on this one. No sense in giving in on anything before negotiations start.

Alex Jones===Complete Whacko--PASS!

If anything the guy is a plant. He is put there to discredit the so called "truther" movement. You saw how he behaved on Piers Morgan's show. Almost everything he said was the truth but he came off like such a nut job... basically making it easy as pie for any anti or on the fence type person to view all gun owners as stark raving lunatics.

You know, it really helps to actually read the f*&^ing bill. Text of section re 7 round mag is below. Here is what it means: 10 round magazines purchased before the date of enactment of this law are still legal. What is illegal are 1) a magazine loaded with more than 7 rounds and 2) any magazine with greater than 7 round capacity purchased after the date of the bill. So, they can keep 10 round mags, which are indeed gradfathered, as long as they don't load more than 7 rounds. Idiotic? Clearly. Horrible? Yes. But not quite as bad as I had feared. I saw somewhere lese that possession of a "large capacity" mags is a Class A misdemeanor, not a felony. Also note that language re .22 tubular mags. To me that implies that tubular mags on lever action center fire rifles (which aren't assault rifles, but that is a separate provision) can't be loaded with more than 7 rounds? Totally and completely FUBAR.

"Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,

22 drum, feed strip, or similar device, [manufactured after September thir-

23 teenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four,] that (a) has a capacity of, or

24 that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten

25 rounds of ammunition, or (b) contains more than seven rounds of ammuni-

26 tion, or © is obtained after the effective date of the chapter of the

27 laws of two thousand thirteen which amended this subdivision and has a

28 capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept,

29 more than seven rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term

30 does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and

31 capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition or a

32 feeding device that is a curio or relic.

what happens if new yorkers have a 8 round revolver?

can you load up or have a plug on one?

By the way the bill is written, quite honestly, it seems like you just don't use one of the cylinders.

From what the guys on the NY gun forums are saying, 10 round magazines will be grandfathered, but you will only be allowed to put 7 cartridges in the magazine.

I supposed this was done to weasel around the "common use" provision in McDonald. You may have trouble passing constitutional muster if nobody makes 7 round magazines for you gun. But if you say "sure, keep your 10 rounders, but you go to prison if you put 8 rounds in them" you can get around the law.

It's brilliant, really. Nobody is going to take away your guns. Nobody is going to take away your magazines. You just can't put so many bullets in them.

Did I load 7 rounds in this gun, or was it 8? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track myself...

Fat lady hasn't sung yet, but good god, I can not believe that people can really be that out of touch with reality and still exist, let alone in ANY position of power.

I would love to keep commenting but ill only say a bunch of stuff that's not allowed to be said on a family forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is why it's best to try and nip these sorts of things in the bud, before this (yes I read this last night) abomination becomes codified into actual law. Who can tell what this really means for all cases? Will there be cops checking magazines at ranges? At home? Will they call/send letters to all NY PL holders asking about their mags? Will there have to be some sort of certification/inspection of the home when PL's are renewed now to ensure there are no now-illegal mags, or there's not 8 rds in already loaded ones? Which side do you think the Law Enforcement Industry will err on? Yours or theirs? Whose rights will be diminished, yours or theirs? I used to think the same way you do, I don't anymore. Not one inch.

You know, it really helps to actually read the f*&^ing bill. Text of section re 7 round mag is below. Here is what it means: 10 round magazines purchased before the date of enactment of this law are still legal. What is illegal are 1) a magazine loaded with more than 7 rounds and 2) any magazine with greater than 7 round capacity purchased after the date of the bill. So, they can keep 10 round mags, which are indeed gradfathered, as long as they don't load more than 7 rounds. Idiotic? Clearly. Horrible? Yes. But not quite as bad as I had feared. I saw somewhere lese that possession of a "large capacity" mags is a Class A misdemeanor, not a felony. Also note that language re .22 tubular mags. To me that implies that tubular mags on lever action center fire rifles (which aren't assault rifles, but that is a separate provision) can't be loaded with more than 7 rounds? Totally and completely FUBAR.

"Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,

22 drum, feed strip, or similar device, [manufactured after September thir-

23 teenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four,] that (a) has a capacity of, or

24 that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten

25 rounds of ammunition, or (b) contains more than seven rounds of ammuni-

26 tion, or © is obtained after the effective date of the chapter of the

27 laws of two thousand thirteen which amended this subdivision and has a

28 capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept,

29 more than seven rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term

30 does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and

31 capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition or a

32 feeding device that is a curio or relic.

By the way the bill is written, quite honestly, it seems like you just don't use one of the cylinders.

From what the guys on the NY gun forums are saying, 10 round magazines will be grandfathered, but you will only be allowed to put 7 cartridges in the magazine.

I supposed this was done to weasel around the "common use" provision in McDonald. You may have trouble passing constitutional muster if nobody makes 7 round magazines for you gun. But if you say "sure, keep your 10 rounders, but you go to prison if you put 8 rounds in them" you can get around the law.

It's brilliant, really. Nobody is going to take away your guns. Nobody is going to take away your magazines. You just can't put so many bullets in them.

Did I load 7 rounds in this gun, or was it 8? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track myself...

So basically the law will accomplish absolutely nothing except trap ordinary citizens. I can see the gang meetings now..."Yo g you hear about that new law? Best not load more than 7 caps in your piece...."

Just infinately stupid.

5 round mag limit bill jin NJ ust introduced by Codey and Gordon.

http://www.politicke...acity-magazines

LOL I guess that would also include law enforcement. These liberals are laughable.

“The only people who need access to high-capacity magazines are mass murderers, drug dealers and cop killers,” said Senator Codey."

This is why it's best to try and nip these sorts of things in the bud, before this (yes I read this last night) abomination becomes codified into actual law. Who can tell what this really means for all cases? Will there be cops checking magazines at ranges? At home? Will they call/send letters to all NY PL holders asking about their mags? Will there have to be some sort of certification/inspection of the home when PL's are renewed now to ensure there are no now-illegal mags, or there's not 8 rds in already loaded ones? Which side do you think the Law Enforcement Industry will err on? Yours or theirs? Whose rights will be diminished, yours or theirs? I used to think the same way you do, I don't anymore. Not one inch.

In theory, yes, not one inch. But in practice, sorry, I think we do ourselves a disservice by not focusing on the truly important issues like this magazine ban and nipping that in the bud. It's been clear (at least to me) since Newtown that something is going to get passed. We are in damage control mode, and I think that if people really understood that a 7 round (or 5 round) limit without is a de facto ban on semi-automatic handguns many people in the middle on this issue could be convinced not to support it.

And sorry I was a dick in my post above. It's the frustration talking.

Some people get upset with me over my use of the term "libtarded" as they consider it derogatory, I tend to think of it more as a mental affliction. This is what I'm talking about! These morons are so fixated on their disdain for guns and the freedoms afforded those of us that own them that they are in a frenzy to see who can out-do one another in further denying people those freedoms. I'd tell you I hate them if I didn't understand they are mentally deranged in their moronic crusade against people's freedoms.

Some people get upset with me over my use of the term "libtarded" as they consider it derogatory, I tend to think of it more as a mental affliction. This is what I'm talking about! These morons are so fixated on their disdain for guns and the freedoms afforded those of us that own them that they are in a frenzy to see who can out-do one another in further denying people those freedoms. I'd tell you I hate them if I didn't understand they are mentally deranged in their moronic crusade against people's freedoms.

liberal hollywood loves to sell you violence & make tons of $$$. they misuse the image of firearms in every way. hypocrites?

decades of public ads telling the you smoking is bad for you causing lung cancer yet liberals want their bongs. hypocrites?

We on here know that, and it's tough, but I am trying, to convince people that is what the intent is of such things.

and I think that if people really understood that a 7 round (or 5 round) limit without is a de facto ban on semi-automatic handguns many people in the middle on this issue could be convinced not to support it.

I guess these politicians/Marxists know confiscation will start a civil war so they incrementally disassemble your right to bear arms. This was it will be 7 rounds and people will complain but swallow it. Then another gun related incident will happen and then handguns will be limited and almost impossible to get. Most hunters will say "I still have my guns". Then it will be rifles with limited magazines, then scopes and eventually shotguns. Bye that time the firepower will be gone from the citizen and we'll be disarmed...

Stop this nonsense now....