mattio41

NY 7 Round Mags (Bill 2230) - Merged Threads

Well people, if this does not give you a reason to start calling and writing every single one of our congressman and senators, then I do not know what will.

Where in the hell are you going to get 7 round magazines???? What the F#@% !!!! Imagine that nightmare...

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Gun-Control-Assault-Weapons-Ban-Magazines-Limit-Cuomo-NY-186794151.html

NY Has Tentative Deal on Gun Control: AP

By Michael Gormley

| Monday, Jan 14, 2013 | Updated 12:14 PM EST

new+york+state+senate+chambers.jpg

Getty Images

advertisement

Gov. Andrew Cuomo and legislative leaders have a tentative deal to enact the nation's first gun control measure following last month's Connecticut school shooting, according to people familiar with the negotiations, further tightening gun laws in a state that already has among the nation's strictest.

The tentative agreement would further restrict New York's ban on assault weapons and limit the size of magazines to seven bullets, rather than the current 10. Other elements, pushed by Republicans, would refine a mental health law to make it easier to confine people determined to be a threat to themselves or others.

Senate Republicans also have included a further crackdown on illegal gun trafficking into New York, the people said. Most New York City gun crimes involve weapons illegally brought into the state, state and city officials say.

The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the proposal had not been discussed among rank and file legislators. They say the tentative deal was struck over the weekend and will be debated behind closed doors Monday in the Senate and Assembly.

A Cuomo administration official, who also spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal was not final, said there is no agreement yet.

If the deal survives as expected, a bill could be presented this week, but it faces several challenges.

It will be the first test of the new coalition in control of the state Senate, which has long been run by Republicans opposed to gun control measures. The Senate is now led by a coalition of Republicans and five breakaway Democrats, an arrangement expected to result in more progressive legislation.

Former Republican Sen. Michael Balboni said that for legislators from upstate New York, gun control "has the intensity of the gay marriage issue." In 2011, three of four Republicans who crossed the aisle to vote for same-sex marriage ended up losing their jobs because of their votes.

"It was always startling to me the vast cultural divide between New York City metropolitan view on gun control and most of the upstate communities," said Balboni, who represented part of Long Island for 10 years and was a Senate leader.

"Gun advocates see these incidents as almost cyclical and that in the wake of a national shooting incident, they have seen repeated calls for control," he said Monday. "They view it as a slippery slope to the banning and confiscation of weapons. Emotions run high and there will be tremendous pressure on all upstate legislators, Republicans and Democrats, to keep their base."

Also a concern is a major gun manufacturer in upstate New York.

Remington Arms Co. makes the Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle that was used in the Connecticut shootings and again on Christmas Eve in Webster, N.Y., when two firefighters were slain responding to a fire. The two-century-old Remington factory in Ilion in central New York employs 1,000 workers in a Republican Senate district.

Republican Assemblyman Marc Butler warned last week that a more restrictive assault weapon ban could cost the factory 300 jobs.

Separately Monday, Mayor Bloomberg spoke at a summit on gun violence at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. He urged President Barack Obama and Congress to increase background check requirements for firearms purchases, and says the federal government needs to get tougher on gun trafficking.

Copyright Associated Press

Time to start buying single stack 1911s eh?

I'm actually really curious. God forbid this should actually pass (best of luck to those in NY, keep fighting!), will manufacturers make 7 round magazines *just* for those in NY, or are they just going to be screwed?

With as many gun owners in NY, they would have to start making 7rd mags.

But.... I could be wrong. There would possibly be a company that coverts all current magazines over to 7rd. Possibly licensed by the state perhaps....

If this asinine law doesn't convince you that the ultimate goal is to completely ban firearms.... nothing will. How does one go about justifying that the absense of 3 rounds will eventually make any difference in anyone's life or death for that matter?But I totally forgot....it's not about sense....it's for the children.

this is so simple... they will try first to push this idiocy in NY... if shipple will gulp this crap without uprisings and revolution, then they will introduce the same legislation all over the entire country... if people would not respond accordingly now, this will be beginning of the END...

If this asinine law doesn't convince you that the ultimate goal is to completely ban firearms.... nothing will. How does one go about justifying that the absense of 3 rounds will eventually make any difference in anyone's life or death for that matter?But I totally forgot....it's not about sense....it's for the children.

I totally agree with you. What's the difference between 10 and 7 rounds? I believe it's so they can go to 5 next, then 3, then zero. No other explanation makes any sense.

Where do they come up with the figure of 7 rounds?

I think the magic #7 came about to limit just about EVERY semi auto hangun/rifle made, it really only leaves revolvers available. I do NOT see manufacturers stepping up to supply the NY state. I actually hope some manufacturers ignore and no longer service the state. Like ronnie barret did with CA.

If this law passes i believe it will be deemed unconstitutoinal and a court will make an injunction till its sorted out.

There has been TONS of support pouring in from other states to pressure the NY .gov in the means of $$$ and calls.letters, and emails.

I even donated to there state 2nd association. What happens there will enevidtably NJ will try to follow suit so they can 1 up NY.

These BS mag limits are gun bans in disguise. That is why they are picking these silly numbers. They are fully aware that there are very few SA pistols and rifles that have sub 10 round mags available to them. This in effect would prevent them from being purchased and/or owned in NY (aka banned). If this proposed law doesn't have a grandfather clause, its even worse for all the folks who own them already.

....... I do NOT see manufacturers stepping up to supply the NY state......

Of course there will be some companies that will make a 7 round mag, there is a ton of money to be made. Think about it, if you were the only company that made a 7 round mag for every pistol out there, you will make tons of money. Trust me someone will do it.

We are next. If you can afford it (I'll argue you can't afford not to) join the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association, they are leading the charge against all the proposed NY bans. When it's our turn we will need help from people across the country. $25 to join

http://www.nysrpa.or...id=79&Itemid=88

Or donate:

https://www.kintera.org/AutoGen/Simple/Donor.asp?ievent=1033969&en=apKELLPuG8IIIROnHeLNKYMzF6KGJSMAJkKSI5PIKtF

The rest of the people in the country don't care about us. They just say "well move to another state" Its sickening really. People didn't tell black people to move away to avoid the jim crow laws.. hower when it comes to gun freedoms they couldn't care less.

The rest of the people in the country don't care about us. They just say "well move to another state" Its sickening really. People didn't tell black people to move away to avoid the jim crow laws.. hower when it comes to gun freedoms they couldn't care less.

Although they may be right...it may be the time to leave this state.

And Go where? If the state bans start passing it will give more weight to federal bans. If we don't care enough to help others then we can't expect others to care about us. We really need to unite and support each other as gun owners. Stand up or lie down......your choice.

And Go where? If the state bans start passing it will give more weight to federal bans. If we don't care enough to help others then we can't expect others to care about us. We really need to unite and support each other as gun owners. Stand up or lie down......your choice.

I agree completely, i'm just voicing my disgust at the rest of america for not caring,