T Bill

Star-Ledger announces layoffs of 34 employees, including 18 newsroom staff

If they reported the news fairly maybe they'd would not have such problems. I will rejoice the day they say they are folding.

They brought it on themselves.

Shoddy journalism at its best!

The jobs of 34 Star-Ledger employees — including nearly 10 percent of the newsroom — are being eliminated in the first large-scale layoffs in the history of the state’s largest daily newspaper, publisher Richard Vezza said this morning.

Eighteen part- and full-time staffers in The Star-Ledger's newsroom of 195 employees are expected to be laid off today, along with 16 positions in other departments. The totals include 19 full-time employees and 15 part-time positions.

In a letter posted shortly after 8 a.m. today throughout the newspaper's Newark offices, Vezza called it a difficult day, and blamed the dramatic cuts on continuing financial pressures and the lingering effects of Hurricane Sandy, in an industry already hard hit by a steady decline in readership and sinking ad revenues.

At the same time, Vezza, in his letter, said the newspaper has been talking with its production unions, whose contracts expire this summer, seeking significant savings in production costs. He said The Star-Ledger was also considering the possibility of outsourcing the printing and packaging of the newspaper.

Now is the time to have everyone who may still have a subscription to cancel and tell others to do the same. I'd even tell people to call and tell them that the biggest reason was the anti 2A position was the reason.

Even if its a small percentage of people who do that, it would still make an impression, especially after this news. Eff the crappy rag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They must be taking a beating from the foreclosure moratorium, legal notices being probably their biggest ad revenue generator. Not that I would know, I refuse to spend a dime or a dollar to buy their fish wrapper to find out, free umbrella or not.

Good for them. I am surprised it did not happen sooner. All of the news and misconduct that goes on in NJ barely gets reported on. They support the agendas of crooked politicians, they are bias, leftist agenda pushing communist pooh pooh heads that do hack journalism. I can hardly stand to read NJ.com. Deuces to you star-liars.