SgtToadette

Firearmageddon: Lessons Learned.

So I was having an interesting conversation at work today about the current state of the firearm industry. In dealing with ammunition and firearm shortages, I think there's a lot of lessons we can take away from this situation.

I think concepts of ammunition commonality and supply can be very important to look at. Within a few weeks after Newtown, almost all the popular ammunition was run dry or prohibitively expensive. So many of us buy guns specifically for tactical roles like self-defense and SHTF scenarios, and we generally choose guns that shoot ammunition we perceive to be commonly available.

In a SHTF situation, the economy is rendered either permanently or temporarily inoperable, thus resupply of ammunition from manufacturers will be excluded from the equation along with supply from non-local sources like internet vendors. It may actually be beneficial in these types of situations to make use of obscure ammunition, unless you intend to obtain ammunition through...ahem...offensive means.

It should also become more clear that it is in an individual's interest to have a reasonably sized stockpile of ammunition set aside specifically for a situation where ammunition is needed, SHTF or otherwise.

I think there are other aspects to consider that are being demonstrated in this current situation, and I'd like to hear how it has changed your guys' attitudes for the future.

I'd stuck to "common" calibers with all my purchases prior to Newtown, figuring I'd be saving money on ammo. I'd planned to eventually get some other calibers, but after seeing how bare the shelves are of all my common calibers, I decided to start adding less common stuff to my collection, as much as I can afford to...

Not that .40 S&W, .357 Sig, or 10mm aren't common as well, but they're less commonly used than 9mm and .45ACP...

I have started looking into reloading, but I don't think I can afford to do so at this point...

I'd stuck to "common" calibers with all my purchases prior to Newtown, figuring I'd be saving money on ammo. I'd planned to eventually get some other calibers, but after seeing how bare the shelves are of all my common calibers, I decided to start adding less common stuff to my collection, as much as I can afford to...

Not that .40 S&W, .357 Sig, or 10mm aren't common as well, but they're less commonly used than 9mm and .45ACP...

I have started looking into reloading, but I don't think I can afford to do so at this point...

This was exactly the point I was trying to drive home. Even owning a .40S&W firearm with a .357sig barrel would be a good idea. Variety is never a bad thing when options are limited.

Lessons learned from “ The Great Panic of 2012 “

Maintain a minimum of 6,000 rounds of:

• 9mm
  • .40 S&W
  • .45ACP

Maintain a minimum of 500 of:

• OO Buckshot Shells

Maintain a minimum of 12,000 rounds of:

• .22LR

Replace ammunition as soon as it is used

Have enough components to reload 6k of all calibers listed above

Have a minimum of ten magazines for each critical firearm

Have enough spare parts to include, spare bolts , firing pins,springs ,pins, magazine spare parts and charging handles to keep all critical firearms working

Have enough spare parts to include, spare bolts , firing pins,springs ,pins, magazine spare parts and charging handles to keep all critical firearms working

I wanted to mention that, too. I placed an order for my AR upper about a week ago and plan to purchase a spare BCG, which is especially important since my AR will be using a lot of proprietary parts.

It depends on what you think is really coming down the pike. In a true Bug Out SHTF situation (say, another Hurricane Sandy) folks like BLF above are going to lose $50K in guns and ammo to rising flood waters. I don't think there's anything wrong with hoarding, but I don't really see the point in it, other than as a hobby or as collecting.

If America gets the total shaft on new gun control with regard to transfers, large gun collections will instantly depreciate heavily.

Some people here have 30-40 or more guns (which is rad). But I would rather stop buying guns at 15 and start spending the rest of my time and money on taking courses with the best trainers in the country. That would be way more worthwhile than adding a 41st gun to the safe.

45 GAP.... yup.... Gaston Glock sucks suck it. You can find 45 gap ammo. What now? lol

In all seriousness, This is why you stock up on a year or two years worth of reloading components. The ability to know you can produce ammo if you need to... priceless.

Lessons learned from “ The Great Panic of 2012 “

Maintain a minimum of 6,000 rounds of:

• 9mm
  • .40 S&W
  • .45ACP

Maintain a minimum of 500 of:

• OO Buckshot Shells

Maintain a minimum of 12,000 rounds of:

• .22LR

Replace ammunition as soon as it is used

Have enough components to reload 6k of all calibers listed above

Have a minimum of ten magazines for each critical firearm

Dayum brosef. I want to be on your side when the shotin' starts.

Dayum brosef. I want to be on your side when the shotin' starts.

Shooting starts???

Please relax with your SHTF fantasies.

Most members here shoot three matches a month with an average 275 rounds per match

That equals to 825 rounds a month times 9 months of the competition season = 7,425 rounds without including any practice

Suddenly 6k of ammo does not seem like a lot of ammo during shortages

No we can go back to the SHTF fantasies

Shooting starts???

Please relax with your SHTF fantasies.

Most members here shoot three matches a month with an average 275 rounds per match

That equals to 825 rounds a month times 9 months of the competition season = 7,425 rounds without including any practice

Suddenly 6k of ammo does not seem like a lot of ammo during shortages

No we can go back to the SHTF fantasies

Dude, put it back inside your pants, cut back on the coffee. It was meant as a joke.

:facepalm:

Some people here have 30-40 or more guns (which is rad). But I would rather stop buying guns at 15 and start spending the rest of my time and money on taking courses with the best trainers in the country. That would be way more worthwhile than adding a 41st gun to the safe.

Dude, 16 comes after 15. :rofl:

I'm just f*%king with you.

I'm having a hell of a time finding 7mm-08 ammo.

I never in my life imagined that would be a hard caliber to find in a crunch, yet it's all gone....a lot of the online stuff is gone too.

I stopped at Gene's yesterday and bought primers and powder. I'll be placing my order for a press and dies tonight.