Sign in to follow this  
Sharrie*1

Pinning a stock

Did a search on this and came up empty...so here goes. This is my first build and i purchased a collapsible stock. Being a law abiding citizen i drilled it and pinned it. When i drilled it i accidentally thru drilled it. So, when the roll pin is installed, theoretically, it could be driven thru in order to make the stock collapsible.

My question is: Is my stock legally pinned or do i need to drill an additional hole that is blind and put a second pin in it?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

I'd use a little jb weld in the hole to prevent the pin from being removed.

There is really no set definition to making your stock non-collapsable. A roll pin is a generally accepted method, but NJ law does not prescribe HOW it is to be done, only that the stock cannot collapse.

I have seen people epoxy the stock to the buffer tube. It meets the requirement, although I wouldn't agree that it the best or most effective method.

Even a pin that is NOT drilled all the way through can easily be removed with a simple tool. One could use an appropriately sized 'ez-out' and remove the roll pin in a couple of seconds. The reality is that any way you do it, it's reversable.

According to the way the law is written your stock is now fixed. Of course the laws are unclear, confusing and can be easily misinterpreted by anyone, including law enforcement.

God i love this state!!!...Why do they make it so hard to comply???

Thanks to everyone that has responded!

I have never used jb weld, is it black in color? And do you just put a dab in the hole? That doesnt really seem like it would stop me from driving the pin out, but, as otheres have said, perhaps it is legal just being pinned.

Thanks again.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the pin is really in there, meaning not loose to the point were you can just push it through with your finger, I saw you're fine. If its loose and are afraid that the pin will slide out after shooting it a while, add some JB weld (epoxy) to it just in case. Look at it this way, if you were trying to collapse your stock, can you do it without introducing tools? Even if you blind pin it and epoxy over it, you can still collapse it if you take the time to drill out the pin and use tools.

Thanks for the excellent posts everyone!

The pin is nice and tight...it will never fall out. I placed it where all the pins i have seen have been. To answer the question, yes, you would need a hammer and punch to get it out. And, no, the stock will not slide without removing it. It is actually a very clean install, just that i was concerned because the pin was not "blind" as all the others i have seen were...I guess i am good to go :-)

Since the feedback is that i dont need the jb weld, i dont think i will put that on either as the pin is very clean.

Thanks again everyone!

I've read the threads on pinning collapsible stocks, and understand how to do it. My question is, if I order a lower receiver with a collapsible stock, is the FFL holder who does the transfer likely to let me take it home to pin? Or would the transfer have to go through an FFL who will pin it before it leaves the premises?

I don't yet own an upper receiver, so I wouldn't have the parts to assemble a non-compliant rifle...but I'm not sure that would appease NJ or the FFL holder...

How would the FFL know if you have an upper receiver or not? I'm pretty sure they won't let it out of their store if it wasn't already pinned. If you buy a stripped lower, that's a different story.

Has anyone bought a lower with adjustable stock through an FFL in central or North Jersey, and either been allowed to take it home to pin, or the dealer was able to pin it on-site? Recommendations on who to use? If the dealer is going to pin it, I'd want to first drop by and select the length at which the stock must be pinned.

I want to avoid a scenario where the lower arrives in NJ, and the FFL holder won't release it, and won't pin it--insisting on another transfer to a dealer who will.

Has anyone bought a lower with adjustable stock through an FFL in central or North Jersey, and either been allowed to take it home to pin, or the dealer was able to pin it on-site? Recommendations on who to use? If the dealer is going to pin it, I'd want to first drop by and select the length at which the stock must be pinned.

I want to avoid a scenario where the lower arrives in NJ, and the FFL holder won't release it, and won't pin it--insisting on another transfer to a dealer who will.

No but couldn't they just remove the buffer tube and you take the pieces home?

No but couldn't they just remove the buffer tube and you take the pieces home?

Maybe--might depend on the dealer. I've since learned that Mastodon will accept delivery, let the buyer select the stock length, and pin it(for $15) before handing it over, which covers everything I was asking about.