Kingsoverqueens

Build my Dillon 650 Press

I'm going to be loading 9mm with no anticipation of needing to load another caliber for at least a year. I've decided on getting the 650, and after reviewing the site,watching video, have come to the following conclusion...

Need from Dillon:

Basic press,

primer flip tray

die set

case guage

calipers

lyman reloading manual

kinetic puller.

Luxuries...can be added later

Auto casefeeder

strong mount

aluminum bullet tray

auto primer feeder (VERY nice luxury)

low powder warning

powder check

Does anyone disagree?

Insted of a kinetic bullet puller ya might wanna try a Bullet pulling Die. Such as the Hornady or RCBS Die's.

Theres just sumpthin about putting a live round in a hammer (so to speak) and poundin away.

Also if ya ever run into a problem and have 10,20, 30 bullets to pull the dies sure do save time.

Lee factory crimp die

Go/no go cartridge checker

Stuff to clean cases: eg vibratory cleaner, cleaning media, media separator

Boxes to store your finished ammo

Reloading book to track all your recipes

I'll need a scale, but am wondering if I need one from dillon, or will a good digitial kitchen scale suffice.

I'm going to go with a wet tumbler, but that's a different thread altogehter. I wanted to focus on what I'd need to order from Dillon.

I see Lee dies mentioned instead of Dillon. I know the 650 has the ability to accept dies from different mfg's. Are Lee's better? Less expensive?

Lee dies are pretty inexpensive and have the same threads. The kitchen scale idea might not work unless it measures Grains as opposed to Grams. If ordering everything else from Dillon, the storage boxes are like 2 bucks each, might as well throw them into the order.

Get a lee factory crimp die. It's worth the $20 to get that factory taper crimp at the last station. The loaded cartridge will seat in your barrel a lot smoother.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48242-wts-glock-23-gen-3-reduced/page__fromsearch__1

Oh yeah, you will need case lube too. I like hornady one shot.

Mike,

I know i've offered in the past, but you and andrew can feel free to stop by my house and I can give you the rundown on the 650

Also, A case feeder is pretty much a must have, powder check is money well spent that can save your gun if you miss a powder charge and have a squib.

As far as others, you'll need chamber checkers for whatever calibers you'll be loading, a powder scale, tumbler , media seperator, calipers , etc.

This is what I went with, does the job.

http://www.amazon.co...ankford+arsenal

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=calipers

The roller handle is a great upgrade, I dont have a strong mount, just mounted the press to my work bench and load sitting down.

I bought from Vinny as well and he is awesome!

Save up and don't skimp on the set up. Strong mount, Case feeder and roller handle are must haves. I started off with the RF-100 primer filler and if you can swing it, I'd highly recommend it. I just switched from small to large primers and I didn't have the right tube for the RF-100 and wanted to kill myself after filling the primer feeder by hand!!!

Oh and be prepared to wait as Dillon is way backed up as is everything else gun related!

Have fun reloading...it's a great hobby within a hobby.

Jan

As others have said;

Lee factory crimp die

Lee undersize die (removes glock bulge) EGW has it

Case feeder, strong mount, bullet tray, roller handle

Spare parts kit

A good scale is money well spent (I prefer an electronic one)

Pre-order the vibra prime from midway

Extra primer tubes

One shot case lube, calipers, and case gauge

I have a XL 650 with all the trimmings. Nothing else you can buy for it, I have it all. I also love it. I highly recommend the low powder sensor, that has paid for itself a few times over. I also have the case feeder and after a few adjustments it's actually quite reliable and works very well. I reload 9, 38, and 40 at the moment. I have set up three full die head's for each load which makes caliber changes quick and easy. One additional feature not sold by Dillon that I highly recommend is a replacement powder adjustment micrometer. Check it out here http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231 You can order it with the feed bar assembly or just the micrometer. Makes reproducible loading a snap.

Without question, buy the spare parts kit. This is a complex machine for somebody that has never owned a Dillon before. There are small parts, springs, plastic pieces, washers, tiny cams, all sorts of things that WILL get away from you the first few times you break down the machine to be cleaned.

The bad news is that Dillon now reporting up to 4 months for delivery on some items and potentially even worse for full presses. Just days ago I attempted to purchase a new die set, powder feeder, and caliber change kit for 45 ACP, a new gun I just acquired. The earliest component for delivery is the caliber change kit and that was 4 weeks. I had to go out and buy my dies from another company because they were quoting up to 16 weeks for dies, and the same for the power feeder system.

This whole gun control thing has created a real mess. Thankfully I have been reloading for a year now and have all of my equipment and a ton of supplies.

Dillon told me 4 months, but they actually got me all my things in about 2 months. Granted, it was in 3 shipments, but it was all here alot quicker than they said which is great.

Sog226guynj? I am a sig guy all the way. Have two 226's, one a SS Elite 40 Caliber and the holy grail of 226's, the X6 Scantic. Amazing gun. I also have a 239 in 9mm and a Mosquito along side a SS 1911 45. On the not so Sig side a Ruger 22/45 Mark III and a S&W 627 Performance Center.

but I love my Sigs and of course my 226's. PM me or we should start a 226 thread. Sorry OP for the hijack.

Very good advice, all, and thank you.

I spoke with Vinny at great length today. My kinda guy.

I'll be placing the order ASAP and then waiting. Argh.

Vinny's the best. Did he give you any time estimate? Just curious, I placed my order with him 4 weeks ago and was told about 10 weeks at that time.