maintenanceguy

Why "Assault Weapons?"

I'm genuinely interested in understanding other people's points of view. Usually, even when I disagree with someone, I am able to understand why they believe what they believe.

But assault weapon bans bewilder me.

I could understand why someone would want a handgun ban. I would oppose it but every night the news reports one somebody who was shot or shot at with a handgun and if you're not good at statistics, it makes handguns seem dangerous. I believe more guns = more safety but I can understand why someone would believe the opposite.

But there is no logic in an assault weapons' ban. Assault weapons are so rarely used in crimes. They're never involved in accidental shootings. They're just not a safety issue at all. So there must be more to this - something I'm missing.

I expect the masses to be easily swayed. Masses don't seem to be very smart sometimes. But, as much as I don't like most politicians, most of them are pretty smart. Maybe evil - but still smart. Diane Feinstein is a lot of bad things but she's not dumb. She can do simple math and certainly has seen the statistics - so why focus on assault weapons?

Simple. The hard core left wants to get all guns out of everyones' hands. They can't do it all at once, so they have to start somewhere. And right now the masses will be most easily stampeded by 'assault weapons'. They're too dumb to figure it out on their own, and their not going to get any help from the MSM.

If they put the pot on full boil immediately, the frogs might all jump out.

the nature of gun control is illogical so there is nothing to grasp.

I'd rather have someone shooting at me with an AK47 on full auto, with a 75rd drum rather than a marksman with a Mauser.

Something that bothers me is when gun control freaks point to lower GUN homicide in countries like UK... their violence per capita is WAY up, is that what they want? Is crime and violence okay if it's not being committed with a gun?

Simple. The hard core left wants to get all guns out of everyones' hands. They can't do it all at once, so they have to start somewhere. And right now the masses will be most easily stampeded by 'assault weapons'. They're too dumb to figure it out on their own, and their not going to get any help from the MSM.

If they put the pot on full boil immediately, the frogs might all jump out.

Exactly what I was going to say. The antis and their eagerly complicit media have the masses chanting, "No one needs to own an assault weapon."

So they're seizing this opportunity to go after the low hanging fruit.

Look up Rep Schakowsky (D-IL), there's a video of her saying that 'it's a start' (meaning AWB is gateway to more gun grabbing) Hard Left Democrats are trying to push their agenda while they can. Anyone who votes for Democrats, especially now, should simply turn in their guns and ammo to the NJSP, because it is completely the DEMOCRATIC PARTY that is pushing the current wave of gun control, anf i\you vote Democratic YOU ARE VOTING FOR GUNS TO BE OUTLAWED AND CONFISCATED. PERIOD

the nature of gun control is illogical so there is nothing to grasp.

I'd rather have someone shooting at me with an AK47 on full auto, with a 75rd drum rather than a marksman with a Mauser.

Something that bothers me is when gun control freaks point to lower GUN homicide in countries like UK... their violence per capita is WAY up, is that what they want? Is crime and violence okay if it's not being committed with a gun?

The whole "look at the UK!" argument is idiotic.

First off the UK always had a low murder rate. Before and after their gun ban. What is telling is that there murder rate did not plummet or drop any more than it typically did each year after the gun ban. On the other hand, here in America, our assault weapons ban was lifted, and murder/crime continued to drop.

Also like you said, the UK has a horrendous violent crime rate. Even accounting for their loose definition of violent crime.

We have a much larger population and four times the amount of poverty (after accounting for the population difference). Poverty is the problem, lack of education if the problem, ignorance and poor home life is the problem. Not guns and people having the ability to defend themselves.

Fear and a lack of knowledge.

There are people out there who want to disarm the population. Why? I don't know. The important part is those people who want to disarm you need public support, and it is easier to preach that assault-type rifles are scary and therefore should be banned.

Then the lever guns and single action revolvers----they were used to slaughter buffalo and Indians, you know. Weapons of genocide. As are flintlocks and cap and ball rifles. Weapons of genocide, plus the hazardous and polluting black powder. And all that lead shot, poisoning the environment from you shotgun wackos. There will need to bean EPA sign off on any range shooting at all, ever.

post-1482-0-03189300-1363055188_thumb.jpg

It's the camel's nose under the tent. Ban an entire class of currently legal guns. It sets a precedent and makes it easier whe they come for our hunting rifles, aka "high power sniper rifles".

The media still equates what happened in the massacre at Sandy Hook as an example to why we need more stringent laws against

private ownership of so called "assault rifles". I watched as the coroner at Sandy Hook conducted a press conference and stated that as far as he could tell, all of

wounds came from the long weapon. Meaning the AR15 that never left the trunk of the killer's car. My untrained brain tells me to look at the brass

on the floor near the victims and if it's all pistol brass, which it turned out to be! Shouldn't a trained Forensic Pathologist and County Coroner come

to the same conclusion???

To this day the media is using that horrible attack to further restrict Assault Weapons even though no assault weapon was used in the attack.

Many of these false accusations are coming from the "Associated Press", I want to contact these misinformed reporters every time I read an article that equates the

Sandy Hook killer with the AR15 and inform them that they are mistaken! THE KILLER USED ONLY PISTOLS!!!!

The media still equates what happened in the massacre at Sandy Hook as an example to why we need more stringent laws against

private ownership of so called "assault rifles". I watched as the coroner at Sandy Hook conducted a press conference and stated that as far as he could tell, all of

wounds came from the long weapon. Meaning the AR15 that never left the trunk of the killer's car. My untrained brain tells me to look at the brass

on the floor near the victims and if it's all pistol brass, which it turned out to be! Shouldn't a trained Forensic Pathologist and County Coroner come

to the same conclusion???

To this day the media is using that horrible attack to further restrict Assault Weapons even though no assault weapon was used in the attack.

Many of these false accusations are coming from the "Associated Press", I want to contact these misinformed reporters every time I read an article that equates the

Sandy Hook killer with the AR15 and inform them that they are mistaken! THE KILLER USED ONLY PISTOLS!!!!

You seem to be the terribly misinformed one. A "long weapon" or long gun is a rifle or a shotgun. The video showing the cops clearing the firearm in the vehicle shows a distinguishable ak pattern long gun coinciding with the claim of a saiga 12 being found in the vehicle.

Stop spreading this foolish nonsense passing off as gospel before you make a further fool out of the 2A side. That exact argument is what makes gun owners look like nuts to the anti or indifferent pertaining to firearms.

They want to ban every firearm.

They just target low hanging fruit.

It was handguns for a while. Chicago and DC banned it.

It could be "50 cal"

It could be "sniper rifles."

It could be shotguns.

They'll ban whatever they can ban.

And they'll take advantage of people's ignorance to get it done.

http://www.vpc.org/studies/awaconc.htm

"The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons—anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun—can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons."

You seem to be the terribly misinformed one. A "long weapon" or long gun is a rifle or a shotgun. The video showing the cops clearing the firearm in the vehicle shows a distinguishable ak pattern long gun coinciding with the claim of a saiga 12 being found in the vehicle.

Stop spreading this foolish nonsense passing off as gospel before you make a further fool out of the 2A side. That exact argument is what makes gun owners look like nuts to the anti or indifferent pertaining to firearms.

By calling me foolish, are you saying that an assault rifle was used at the Sandy Hook Massacre? The facts as reported by the Sandy Hook Police state that semi automatic handguns alone were used in all the killings. That the .223

was found in the car but not used. Please explain yourself!!!

I swear I read an article that stated he only used handguns, I was wrong! I did further research and found this! I apologize!

** UPDATE **

STATE POLICE IDENTIFY WEAPONS USED IN SANDY HOOK INVESTIGATION;

INVESTIGATION CONTINUES

In previous press conferences, the Connecticut State Police clearly identified all of the weapons seized from the crime scene at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

To eliminate any confusion or misinformation, we will again describe and identify the weapons seized at the school crime scene.

Seized inside the school:

#1. Bushmaster .223 caliber-- model XM15-E2S rifle with high capacity 30 round magazine

#2. Glock 10 mm handgun

#3. Sig-Sauer P226 9mm handgun

Seized from suspect’s car in parking lot:

#4. Izhmash Canta-12 12 gauge Shotgun (seized from car in parking lot)

This case remains under investigation.

Lt. J. Paul Vance

WRONG. The CT SP and coroner have stated that all fatalities were caused by the .223 rifle. Weeks ago. I have never seen a credible report that states that handguns only were used there.

By calling me foolish, are you saying that an assault rifle was used at the Sandy Hook Massacre? The facts as reported by the Sandy Hook Police state that semi automatic handguns alone were used in all the killings. That the .223

was found in the car but not used. Please explain yourself!!!

What's this?

Coroner Confirms: No Assault Weapon Used in Sandy Hook Shooting

Posted on January 24, 2013

adam-lanza.png

An AR-15, or the so-called “Assault Weapon”, was not used in the school shooting. The shooter even tried weeks earlier to buy a rifle but was turned down in the background check. So he had to kill his Mother to steal her rifle. There were initial reports, right after the shooting, that police found the AR-15 in his car, NOT IN THE SCHOOL. The rifle was not used. The shooter went into the school with 4 handguns, NOT an Assault Rifle as the media has charged.

In the initial hours of this shooting, the Police said they found the rifle in the car. But the Administration-controlled MSM had a pre-planned attack already waiting, to ban so-called assault weapons and jumped on that line of reporting, knowing it was a lie, which included people like Piers Morgan who said the shooter used an AR-15 that shoots hundreds of rounds per minute, as if it were a machine gun.

Read more: http://conservativebyte.com/2013/01/coroner-confirms-no-assault-weapon-used-in-sandy-hook-shooting/#ixzz2NI6apHNx

"That exact argument is what makes gun owners look like nuts to the anti or indifferent pertaining to firearms."

Just how many "anti or indifferent pertaining to firearms" do you expect to find lurking here on this site????????????

There is a quote from a gun control group that basically concedes that a handgun ban won't work but a better strategy is to go after the scary looking rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean this quote:

"[H]andgun restriction is simply not viewed as a priority. Assault weapons ... are a new topic. The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons—anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun—can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons."

Perhaps I am wearing a tin foil hat! Perhaps you are wearing blinders! Time will tell which of us is the best dressed for this party!!!

You may wish to calm down before you give yourself a stroke.

v Pravde net izvestiy, v Izvestiyakh net pravdy. In Truth there is no news, in the News there is no Truth.

I wouldn't go worrying about media reports: heavy on infotainment and spin, light on facts.

Perhaps I am wearing a tin foil hat! Perhaps you are wearing blinders! Time will tell which of us is the best dressed for this party!!!

Get some decaf bro,

.......and please dont equate the members of this forum with the sheeple and misguided.

You may wish to calm down before you give yourself a stroke.

v Pravde net izvestiy, v Izvestiyakh net pravdy. In Truth there is no news, in the News there is no Truth.

I wouldn't go worrying about media reports: heavy on infotainment and spin, light on facts.

I appreciate the stroke advice although I don't quite consider myself as a soon to be victim of same! I am not a conspiracy theorist.

I really don't worry about this stuff very much. I just don't trust the reporting as much is government manipulated or slanted toward the Politically Correct.